Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Cactus xttl firmware

sebas77
Posted 24/06/2017 - 21:49 Link
I would have thought cactus would have given more consideration to the pentax users since I am sure there are alternatives for other brands. Instead they released the first xttl firmware but not for pentax..
McGregNi
Posted 24/06/2017 - 23:12 Link
I think the 'TTL Without Boundaries ' concept is actually unique even for all the other camera brands as well ..... I'm not sure there are any other products that allow, for example, a Nikon flash to perform as an E-TTL slave with a Canon camera....?

So I think it's a new thing for everyone. I guess we have to take up our normal position in the pecking order.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 24/06/2017 - 23:14
sebas77
Posted 24/06/2017 - 23:54 Link
That's not what I meant. Do you think that the units sold so far have been sold for the xttl concept? Triggers that allow ttl measurement are common on other brands, I am not sure the xttl is a strong unique selling point. For pentax ttl measurement is instead not available in other forms. Beside the xttl concept cactus is unique for pentax but not for other brands
Edited by sebas77: 24/06/2017 - 23:55
McGregNi
Posted 25/06/2017 - 15:16 Link
I'm guessing that the 'XTTL' technology has come about as a follow on to the V6II's No 1 trick .... HSS. This requires more contact pins than the simple Manual trigger type, and seems to use aspects of the P-TTL communication protocol. With the communication aspects physically in place then it was a logical next step to bring on full P-TTL implementation. They obviously are marketing the 'TTL Without Boundaries' concept as something special, but I guess you're right that for many it may not be the main selling point.

Its a great bonus for us Pentax people of course, and that's why you're so keen to get going with it, as there is really nothing that would directly compare with it for Pentax cameras.

I think it probably comes down to economics .... and that's where we come in at the end of things, not the start. They will be wanting to recoup their development costs as quickly as possible, and the number of Nikon, Canon and Sony users who will appreciate a 'Cross-Brand' TTL radio solution will outnumber us considerably.

If its any comfort, there's a well known Pentax photographer, who uses the Forum Name 'Kenspo' at PentaxForums , and he has been tasked as a Beta tester for the new Cactus firmware ..... he got a box load of V6IIs and RF60x units around 3 weeks ago, and he told me he that he was going to get going with testing straight away. So maybe the wait won't be too long .....

See the PF thread here .... link ...

Kenspo posts at the bottom of the first page with a picture of his box of goodies from Cactus ..... there's even a handwritten note from Antonio telling him to 'Rock It' with the testing!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 25/06/2017 - 15:34
sebas77
Posted 25/06/2017 - 20:17 Link
that's weird though, because they chose SIGMA!!!, Fujifilm and Sony as first brands....Pentax will be next apparently and Canon/Nikon only at the end.
HarisF1
Posted 25/06/2017 - 20:46 Link
Is this a different product or is it an extension of the V6ii and RF60X's capabilities? Because I just bought some toys... (!)
All the gear with no idea
McGregNi
Posted 25/06/2017 - 21:04 Link
Yes, its an 'extension' via firmware update. If you have V6II transceivers and RF60x flashes then its a great free bonus! As I understand it the RF60x will become a TTL slave when controlled from a V6II, once the new firmware is installed. Note that the RF60x will not function as an on-camera TTL flash however, when directly on the hotshoe (it is still a single pin flash ... its TTL capabilities are only available via radio control).

I know Seb is keen to get going with it all (and now he has to wait for Sigma camera owners first!!), but I'd say lets not get too excited. We have to be realistic about the real-world practical applications for multi-flash automatic flash exposures. The amount of fine control, consistency and exposure accuracy are still to be proven, and many situations are going to continue to be more suited to Manual flash power control, rather than automatic.
sebas77
Posted 27/06/2017 - 07:43 Link
I still think they are too expensive for what they do, but I admire the company for the inventive. Recently I found out a feature that is quite useful. The triggers are able to lock the flash exposure, so that if I change the aperture or shutter speed, the flash exposure stay consistent varying the flash power automatically. I tried it and it works well. This can be useful during the portrait sessions.

BTW Sigma, Fuji and Sony already got their firmwares, I thought you knew that the first batch of firmwares are out.
McGregNi
Posted 27/06/2017 - 13:49 Link
Yes, I think that flash exposure lock would be very useful, cutting down on the amount of settings juggling that is needed. I understand it is going to apply to P-TTL automatic exposures as well, dealing with a common complaint from Manual mode 'strobist' advocates ....namely that P-TTL exposures can change too easily between shots and are not consistent. So this new Cactus feature would really add to what we have available, allowing us to use P-TTL to get the brightness we want, but then lock it in ....effectively getting the best of both automatic and manual working!

Let's hope that Beta testing is going well and the Pentax version firmware comes out soon.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.