Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

A new subject (still a doggy).

pschlute
Posted 16/06/2017 - 21:16 Link
Friends let me do a photoshoot of their dog yesterday. It gave me a chance to put some of my new toys to the test. I had just picked up a Lastolite Hilite off ebay for white background shots, and have also aquired a Sekonic light meter. The latter takes all the guesswork/trial and error out of setting up the lighting ratios, and of course using it makes me feel like a real pro !!!

The dark backgrounds were lit with a softbox as key, and a white reflective brolly as fill. White background was lit with the umbrella on its own, one stop less than the hilite.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
RobL
Posted 16/06/2017 - 23:32 Link
Love the last one in particular, and seems nicer on a white backdrop
derek897
Posted 16/06/2017 - 23:35 Link
Should be proud of these. Good shooting
I know what i like, If not always why.
McGregNi
Posted 16/06/2017 - 23:46 Link
The 2nd one has a great humour to it! Good to see you enjoying the new kit as well Peter. A flash meter, that does sound very pro!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
pschlute
Posted 17/06/2017 - 00:15 Link
McGregNi wrote:
The 2nd one has a great humour to it! Good to see you enjoying the new kit as well Peter. A flash meter, that does sound very pro!

The second one reminds me of Mutley from a cartoon series I watched as a kid.

The flash meter is the basic Sekonic which can do ambient light as well. Thing I hadn't bargained on was that it means i have to fire the Pentax flashes in manual mode set on the units themselves, and cannot use the manual controls remotely from the Cactus V6II TX trigger. This is because for the Cactus TX unit to set the output levels the Pentax flashes need to be in P-TTL mode. In such mode they fire a pre-flash which the Sekonic meter picks up instead of the main flash. So I now have the Cactus triggers working just as before but I have to set the flashes to M and adjust each output on the flash itself.

In practice this is not a problem as it is easy to set up the individual flashes to produce the output I want from each, then take a final meter reading from them all which is my working aperture, and once set , it is set. I find it is giving me better exposure than checking the histogram.
ilovesaabs
Posted 17/06/2017 - 00:49 Link
ADORABLE!
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Pena
Posted 26/06/2017 - 14:48 Link
Oh these are very lovely! Beautiful dog!
And also, the lighting works really well for you. Might have to look into a Lastolite Hilite myself!
pschlute
Posted 26/06/2017 - 20:58 Link
Pena wrote:
Oh these are very lovely! Beautiful dog!
And also, the lighting works really well for you. Might have to look into a Lastolite Hilite myself!

She is a lovely dog. My friends, the owners have worked wonders with her. A nervous wreck when they rescued her she is now a happy bouncy lady.

The hilite is very new to me, this was the first time I had used it. I think it worked very well with the monochromatic subject. The advantage is even background lighting without shadows falling from the subject itself, but I guess it could cause a problem with low contrast if you have it set too bright.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.