Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Buying another body

gwb67
Posted 20/07/2016 - 18:15 Link
I've had a K-3 for just over 2 years & have been very pleased with it. But lately it's been doing a few odd things and on Saturday the AF refused to work. I've been considering buying a second camera to have as a spare anyway so maybe now's a good time to get a new body, then have the K-3 repaired as a spare.
Trouble is - what to get?
Am considering either another K-3, or a K-3II (but already have a GPS unit), K-70 or even a K-1.
Having recently bought new Pentax lenses, 300mm, 150-450mm & 560mm, as well as others bought last year, I want something that will work well with them i.e if I get a K-1, I feel I wouldn't be making getting the full benefit being full frame.
I had a long chat with SRS yesterday, after which it seems another K-3 would be more suitable?
Any advice would be very welcome.
stub
Posted 20/07/2016 - 18:26 Link
You havnt said what your photo subject is.... But that's a host of long lenses... So I deduce your not a landscaper. So in my opininion another K3 or K3ii would make a good arguement.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
gwb67
Posted 20/07/2016 - 18:32 Link
Oops sorry. I do some landscape images, but at the moment mainly cricket, aviation, shipping & some macro.
stub
Posted 20/07/2016 - 18:59 Link
As a cricket lover myself.. I can see an advantage in the K1 to help blur the background. Having more megapixels will help with the crops too. Which rather evens out the longer lens reach arguement.. If money isnt an issue then this would be a good acquistion alongside the K3 you already own. But personally I still think another K3 makes a good argument.. If only when swapping cameras the buttons are still in the same place...

Stuart..
gwb67
Posted 20/07/2016 - 19:18 Link
Thanks for that and yes I wouldn't have to learn the buttons all over again.
Still not got the hang on them all on the K-3 yet.
36MP would be great but believe if the lens I'm using on a K-1 at the time isn't full frame, then I'd get about the same as the K-3?
stub
Posted 20/07/2016 - 19:24 Link
Sorry yes.. I overlooked that point.. Stupid of me..

Stuart..
gwb67
Posted 20/07/2016 - 19:41 Link
But would imagine that even if I only get 24MP with the K-1 at times, the image quality would be better?
I'm told the 150-450mm that I've just bought was designed to be used on the K-1.
Decisions, decisions 🤔
percy
Posted 20/07/2016 - 20:10 Link
gwb67 wrote:
36MP would be great but believe if the lens I'm using on a K-1 at the time isn't full frame, then I'd get about the same as the K-3?

Crop mode on the K-1 gives approximately 16MP (about the same as a K-5), not 24MP.
A full frame sensor has about 2¼ times the surface area of APSC.
gwb67
Posted 20/07/2016 - 20:53 Link
Thanks for that.
I know the K-3 is being discontinued as the K-3II is there.
NaimKhan
Posted 20/07/2016 - 23:52 - Helpful Comment Link
I also had the K3 as well as K5 and K20d. I upgraded to the K1 on Monday. Part exchanged the K5 and k20D, keeping the K3 as a back up. I also part exchanged 4 DA lenses and got the HD FA 24-70mm. I already have an A* 300mm as well as a manual focus 105 mm macro. I have a DA* 60-250 which I intend to mod to enable it to work with a full frame. Here is the link to it. It seems to be a fairly straight forward and painless procedure and the results are fine.
PPG
ilovesaabs
Posted 21/07/2016 - 00:31 Link
Question I have is... does AF not work with all lenses or just some? Just wonder if it's a lens specific issue, if so another body won't cure it.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
gwb67
Posted 21/07/2016 - 10:50 Link
Thanks for that.
I'll have to do some more research I think. If using some of my current fairly new lenses on a K-1 will only give 16MP then I don't think it worth me getting it.
JohnX
Posted 21/07/2016 - 11:55 - Helpful Comment Link
gwb67 wrote:
Thanks for that.
I'll have to do some more research I think. If using some of my current fairly new lenses on a K-1 will only give 16MP then I don't think it worth me getting it.

That's my problem too. I'm heavily invested in DA and DA* lenses, most of which will only perform in crop mode on the K1.

The value of DA and DA* lenses seem not surprisingly to have taken a bit of a dive given the number of people who have sold them off as part of a move to the K1.

The Ki and associated D FA lenses are heavier and in many cases more expensive than their DA and DA* counterparts.

I don't want to carry heavier kit - I've bought a K-S1 and all the DA Ltds and some high-end compacts to give me lighter weight options over my K20D, K5II and K3II.

None of my spending on cameras and lenses has improved my poor picture making technique and 'eye', although my photos are all sharp, well exposed, etc .

My conclusion is to let the K1 pass for now and spend my money on good food and drink!
Edited by JohnX: 21/07/2016 - 11:56
richandfleur
Posted 21/07/2016 - 12:05 Link
My take is most cameras are great these days. Seriously, the sensor tech has come a long way now.

Now that Pentax has the K-1 you have another tool available to you, should you require it's strengths. Basically the bigger the sensor, the better the camera tends to do in low light. Pentax offers sensors from the Q, to the APS-C to FF now and also MF. You simply pick the tool that suits your needs.

If you take shots mostly in the middle of the exposure area, as in fairly good light etc, then an APS-C camera should be fine. However, if your project requires something towards the extreme edges, then there is now a tool to step this up, in terms of depth of field and low light ability. That's pretty cool.
Aitch53
Posted 21/07/2016 - 12:07 Link
JohnX wrote:
None of my spending on cameras and lenses has improved my poor picture making technique and 'eye', although my photos are all sharp, well exposed, etc .

My conclusion is to let the K1 pass for now and spend my money on good food and drink!

Or a photography course?

I have the same problem and, given enough disposable income, would love to do a decent course.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.