Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Butterflys

Mongoose
Posted 03/06/2008 - 14:48 Link
I went to visit my Sister in Aberystwyth over Bank Holiday weekend. Of course it rained most of the time, so we went to the Butterfly House just outside the town. It's very small but has quite a collection, so I was able to have some fun with my K10D and Tamron 90mm SP + 2x TC.

Comment Image

Comment Image

I'm sorry, I don't know these guys names. They were taken at ~ F8 and 1/20th, hand held with SR on.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
George Lazarette
Posted 03/06/2008 - 19:33 Link
Not bad, Mongoose. Watch your back, Clarky.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Mike-P
Posted 03/06/2008 - 19:39 Link
Nice, now get that Kiron fixed and go back ...
Mongoose
Posted 04/06/2008 - 13:46 Link
cheers guys. I would love to go back with the Kiron, preferably on a brighter day. The SR was struggling a bit with the concept of 1/20th at 180mm a few inches from the subject. That combined with the obvious difficulties of focusing accurately at these distances hand held made for a pretty low hit rate of shots which were both in focus and shake free.

but it does help
Nimitz
Posted 04/06/2008 - 15:35 Link
#1 is a really good close up.

Like it a lot. What iso did you use. Perhaps a bit noisy.
Mongoose
Posted 04/06/2008 - 17:11 Link
Thanks Nimitz,

yes I was very pleased with #1. As I said it was a pretty dull day so I was forced to use fairly high ISOs to get a workable shutter speed. I think it was about 560. In retrospect I would have been better off without the 2x converter since getting close to the critters generally wasn't a problem, but once I was inside I was unwilling to change lenses because of the very humid atmosphere.

The noise seems to show up more in these web sized versions than in the full size. I always find post processing noise reduction is a difficult ballance between killing the noise and making the image look "plastic". As you can see I haven't mastered it yet!

but it does help
Nimitz
Posted 06/06/2008 - 10:55 Link
Mongoose wrote:
I always find post processing noise reduction is a difficult ballance between killing the noise and making the image look "plastic". As you can see I haven't mastered it yet!

That is my big problem as well. When I upload on other photo sites - that is the usual comment - the noise issue.

I asked Clarky a few days ago - seems that he kills a lot of noise in silkypix. I might need to look at it again then

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.