Butterfly Macros

darlene

Link Posted 05/10/2010 - 22:27
Hi and welcome to the forum . Its a great group of friends.

aminstar

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 11:20
Hi Al
One of the best options in my opinion if you do not have ring light is to use external flash on HSS setting.

Experienced members here will tell you a bit more about it, including Mike who is hooked to HSS ever since he found out the wide capabilities it has to cover lots of aspects of shooting . Once you get adapted to it you won't leave it off the camera.

And do not underestimate the ability to shoot butterflies with the 50mm macro lens, although I agree also as members have said here a bit longer range lens would be better still. I know someone who uses built in flash with the 50mm macro and has some stunning results.

Alan (our forum spider ) is absolutely right, go on a sunny day and you will have fantastic diffused lighting all around and will allow you low ISO usage. But one big prolem on a sunny day is that butterflies will spend time fluttering around, they will hardly perch and stay still long enough for you to compose and get a good shot. Great moments to capture butterflies in flight.

If you want to catch them laying still for longer moments overcast days are ideal, but the light is not the best. Use flash for those days.

Having said this I am quite keen on a ring flash ligh but they are so expensive and now seeing Jack's link I might consider that option.
Amin Photo Gallery
Last Edited by aminstar on 06/10/2010 - 11:22

Aero

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 12:05
Jessops used to market a couple of cheap ring flashes under the Centon brand. The output was pretty low but more than enough for macro. They work in manual or automatic mode, with no TTL or P-TTL. I picked one up with a second-hand 50mm Sigma macro lens and it worked well the few times I tried it. You can occasionally find them on eBay. This one link looks like the same flash under a different name. Coincidentally, mine had been used for scientific work too. Can't remember the model number (I've loaned mine to a friend), but they can be worth a shot if the price is right.

(Another) Al

fatspider

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 12:46
I have the Centon ringflash, for the money it costs its well worth trying.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

mecrox

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 13:22
Butterflies are one of my favourite subjects. So far I've used the D-FA 100mm macro. Superb quality and plenty enough for my needs. If I wanted to use a 150mm or 180mm macro it looks as if I'd have to switch brands, a very expensive proposition. I've found that a bit of patience, moving slowly and low, and choosing time of day makes up for a lot.

Besides, the Pentax 100mm is small, light and easy to carry around. It also doubles as a great portrait or general close-up lens in my experience, superb too for flowers, seeds, spider webs and the like. It's probably given me more pleasure and more keepers than any of my other lenses so a firm recommendation here if you can afford this focal length.

Do Pentax still make the teleconverters mentioned earlier? Could be useful.

Also, will that Sigma ring-flash someone mentioned work on a 49mm lens mount? I'd be quite tempted by a ringflash but not at the price the Pentax-made ones goes for.

aminstar

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 14:32
fatspider wrote:
I have the Centon ringflash, for the money it costs its well worth trying.

Alan, where can I get hold of one of those? Isn't that the one Jessops used to sell? Are they still available around?
Amin Photo Gallery

Blythman

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 14:42
Just wondering if anyone has experience (good or bad) with those LED Ring Lights that are on ebay?
Alan

PPG
Flickr

jackitec

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 15:19
Blythman wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has experience (good or bad) with those LED Ring Lights that are on ebay?

Forgot to answer Gareth on this, as I said I have this, I have found that you should use standard AA batteries as the lights are brighter, I was using rechargeable ones.

I find the ring light is great if you use manual focus as you can see the subject better and you have more control over DOF but works just fine in auto focus.

It gives a softer light than with flash,
I've not used it much and I don't have any photos taken with a Pentax.
All in all for the money I would say it is a great buy.

Jack.

jackitec

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 15:44
I just dug out the ring light and took this with my Pentax P70, I stuck the camera through the hole in the the middle, hope this gives you some idea,

Jack.

Blythman

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 15:48
Thanks Jack, is there much influence from natural light on the above?
Alan

PPG
Flickr

jackitec

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 16:01
Hi Alan, they are artificial flowers and it was taken in my inside terrace which is in shadow to the sun, if you look in the center you will notice the shadow detail is slightly lighter this was straight out the camera no mods but cropped to 800x600, if you look at the large blob to the left you can see a hint of the ringlight,

regards,
Jack.

Blythman

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 16:06
Thanks Jack. Sound like a potential xams present from the grand kids
Alan

PPG
Flickr

jackitec

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 16:24
Hi again Alan, I didn't think that was a good comparison so here is a photo with the ring light and one without, taken in the kitchen, hope this helps someone,

Jack.

Without the ring light.

With the ring light.

Blythman

Link Posted 06/10/2010 - 16:31
Thanks Jack. Well, I guess thats their present to me sorted
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.