Bullfinch

mille19
Posted 21/12/2013 - 20:33 Link
A couple more taken with the K3+DA*300mm

Comment Image

Comment Image
McGregNi
Posted 21/12/2013 - 20:41 Link
Very nice! I'm liking the soft muted tones I've been seeing here recently on feather textures from the K3. Out interest, are these RAWs and processed or camera JPEGs? (If JPEGs do you mind giving the custom settings used?)

My only thought about overall presentation would be to maybe crop in a bit, reducing the amount of brighter white areas behind and to the top?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 21/12/2013 - 20:42
davidstorm
Posted 21/12/2013 - 21:32 Link
Lovely shots Steve, I agree with Nigel about cropping a little off the top, but I would have been proud to have shot these.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
mille19
Posted 21/12/2013 - 21:49 Link
McGregNi wrote:
Very nice! I'm liking the soft muted tones I've been seeing here recently on feather textures from the K3. Out interest, are these RAWs and processed or camera JPEGs? (If JPEGs do you mind giving the custom settings used?)

My only thought about overall presentation would be to maybe crop in a bit, reducing the amount of brighter white areas behind and to the top?

These were RAW files processed in LR5
Blythman
Posted 21/12/2013 - 21:51 Link
Two very nice Bully's Steve
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Defragged
Posted 21/12/2013 - 22:28 Link
Two beautiful portraits...
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
Posted 21/12/2013 - 22:34 Link
Im sorry but i have to disagree

These female bullfinch photos dont have the quality that I would expect from the DA*300 and new K-3
This worries me as a bird photographer.. Maybe it was a dull day and High ISO's were used but the colour, vibrancy, clarity and sharpness are poor in my opinion

Sorry
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Posted 21/12/2013 - 22:40 Link
This is why I am worried about the K-3...

Thus far I havent seen any wildlife shots that have blown me away with the flagship camera

Which is troubling because I want to buy another camera in the new year and am seriously considering buying another K-5

The example attached is of a female bully I photographed back in september - handheld with just saturation boost at 800ISO... Comment Image
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Edited by QuestionableCarrot: 21/12/2013 - 22:42
davidstorm
Posted 21/12/2013 - 22:46 Link
QuestionableCarrot wrote:
This is why I am worried about the K-3...

Thus far I havent seen any wildlife shots that have blown me away with the flagship camera

I really do despair sometimes that we seem to take at face value what we see in 800px images. We don't know the circumstances that Steve took the shots in, we don't know how heavily they were cropped, we don't know how Steve processed them, so why do we make sweeping judgements about the camera that took the shots?

Don't worry about the K-3 Alistair, it is a fabulous tool that produces great images. Is it better than a K-5iis for IQ? Subjective. Does it have better, more accurate AF than a K-5? Yes. Is it an all round better camera than a K-5? Yes.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Blythman
Posted 21/12/2013 - 23:05 Link

The example attached is of a female bully I photographed back in september - handheld with just saturation boost at 800ISO...

Looks more like late spring/early summer looking at the foliage
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Edited by Blythman: 21/12/2013 - 23:21
mille19
Posted 21/12/2013 - 23:15 Link
I own both a K5 and a K3 if someone asked me to choose between the two I'd take the K3
Here's another from the same shoot, better light.
Comment Image
mille19
Posted 21/12/2013 - 23:26 Link
Blythman wrote:

The example attached is of a female bully I photographed back in september - handheld with just saturation boost at 800ISO...

Looks more like late spring/early summer looking at the foliage

June 17th 2013, it's on FlickR
Posted 22/12/2013 - 14:01 Link
Oops sorry wrong month

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.