Bulk film loaders

9erfan

Link Posted 20/10/2013 - 21:51
Apologies if this subject has already been covered.

Does anyone use 35mm bulk film loaders?

Are they worth it?

Does anyone have any personal recommendations as to which 35mm film is particularly good or otherwise?

And which bulk film loader would you recommend?

Kind regards...Paul.

johnriley

Link Posted 20/10/2013 - 23:45
I haven't used a bulk film loader for many, many years. More of a nuisance than it's worth, that is even if these days you can buy bulk film in the type you want.

There are still good films around, in colour I'm way out of date, in black and white some classics survive or have even been re-introduced.

My all time favourite black and white film was Kodak Tri-X, followed closely by Agfapan 400 and Acupan 200.
Best regards, John

Helpful

Aero

Link Posted 21/10/2013 - 01:44
They were pretty well essential for newspapers to bring down the cost per frame but I think you'd have to be a prodigious user to take that route now as an individual. I see you can still buy Ilford film in bulk, though, if you're determined.

Al

Helpful

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 21/10/2013 - 07:06
I've looked into it but decided that it's really not worth it. The only films available are Ilford and Kodak B&W, and maybe some movie films that can be spooled to 35mm canisters using a bulk loader. I don't use nearly enough to make it worth my time and effort. Once you factor in the cost (and difficulty) in getting empty canisters and maybe DX labels (some cameras require them), unless you're shooting huge amounts it's just not worth it.

Those that do use them certainly have preferencies on which brand/type. There was a recent discussion in the I Shoot Film group on Flickr, that would be a good place to start.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Helpful

Hardgravity

Link Posted 21/10/2013 - 08:35
Fomapan film is available and well priced.

The ASA100 has a nice fine grain while the ASA400 grain is like golf balls, but I like it.

I load the film in a dark room and use a film changing bag, a sort of black t-shirt with out a neck type thing (name please John, my mind's a blank!)

This was taken with Fomapan ASA400 and cropped.

Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Helpful

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 21/10/2013 - 11:50
For many many years I have loaded 'bulk' films WITHOUT using a 'Bulk Film Loader' and I have TWO free ones on my Garage . In the DARKROOM I lay out some reloadable cassettes saved from Ilford FP3 and HP3 days -- I have about 80 in a box -- also the ORWO ones I still have about 30 -- then I take off the lids and stick some sellotape about inch and half onto spool center leaving a 'gap' open then in the DARK I open the 100ft tin and find the end of the film and attach to the sellotape gap the right way round for the spool to go into cassette, then keeping some tension on film I wind off until film feels level with spool flanges, then that is 36 exposures -- then cut with scissors ( which you didn't FORGET to have handy in the DARK) then clip on cassette lid - after all required cassettes have been loaded don't forget to put film back into TIN before turning on the LIGHT !
Here is a photo taken on 100ft of a strange FUJI SURVEICOLOR film 400 ASA I was given dated 2003 and I rated it 200 ASA and used it in my 1960's Asahi Pentax SV

been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Last Edited by Peter Elgar on 21/10/2013 - 11:53

Helpful

co049

Link Posted 21/10/2013 - 12:23

I use a Bulk film loader, it makes loading film child's play. The above image was taken on PAN 400 which I bulk loaded and took with a Pentax ME Super.

30m PAN 400 is around for £40 this makes about 20 36 exp films (£2.00 ea).

http://www.theimagingwarehouse.com/ProductGrp/Ilford-Pan-400

I managed to pick up a couple 30m rolls of near life ex Legacy Pro B&W films for £15 ea.

I all adds to part of the fun of B&W photography, load you own film, develop it, and then print
Chris,

Pentax K1ii, K3, K-m & MX-1.
Pentax LX, MX, ME Super & MV.
"Old Skool" with the new!
Last Edited by co049 on 21/10/2013 - 12:31

Helpful

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 21/10/2013 - 16:03
Yes, agree with above when I was a Part -Time Tutor in Photography Dept Barking College ALL the students got 'Bulk Loaded ' 35mm film from the Technician.
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

Helpful

9erfan

Link Posted 22/10/2013 - 15:47
Many thanks for all the prompt and informative replies.

HG - that film changing bag you mention. I got one of those in a job lot of stuff and had no idea what it was - then I thought I had worked it out,
so I tried to put it on like a T-shirt . Yes, I really did. Quickly realised my mistake, and then worked out how it is really supposed to be used. Was going to throw it out, then just recently decided to give film another go, so am keeping it as I can see how useful it would be 'in the field' so to speak.

I have acquired some out of date 35mm film among recent stuff, and am going to try it out in some of the many SLRs I have acquired recently. But will it process properly I ask myself? And who do I send it for processing?

And yes John, I have noticed that the only bulk film sets available all are black and white. Didn't they do bulk sets in colour back in the day?

By the way, if anyone of you SLR users wants a Praktica (probably an MTL of somme sort) free of charge (postage only - £4.20) - just drop me a line here. If you have some PK rear caps in exchange, they would be most welcome.

Cheers all...Paul.

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 23/10/2013 - 13:34
When I want my 'Holiday Snaps' processed I give them to BOOTS Brentwood High Street -- the technician there does a great job and ALL my film is outdated !! If you use outdated film please give it MORE EXPOSURE by downrating the ASA rating so the lab gets good dense negatives to work from.
If it is 'fridge kept 100 ASA I rate it at 64 ASA but 400 loses speed more so I rate it at 200 ASA and it comes out well -- if NO BOOTS then find a Pharmacy that deals with 'SigFoto' labs -- part of Sigma Pharmaceuticals -- they also do an excellent job. ( I already have THREE PRAKTICAS saved from the Council Tip and they all work well ! )

Helpful

gartmore

Link Posted 23/10/2013 - 16:02
I used one when I was a student and I still have two beautifully made Pentax reloadable cassettes
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

9erfan

Link Posted 23/10/2013 - 22:24
Peter - thanks for the tips about giving it more exposure, and the pharmacies that use SigFoto labs- much appreciated.

co049

Link Posted 28/10/2013 - 12:23
Peter Elgar wrote:
When I want my 'Holiday Snaps' processed I give them to BOOTS Brentwood High Street -- the technician there does a great job and ALL my film is outdated !! If you use outdated film please give it MORE EXPOSURE by downrating the ASA rating so the lab gets good dense negatives to work from.
If it is 'fridge kept 100 ASA I rate it at 64 ASA but 400 loses speed more so I rate it at 200 ASA and it comes out well -- if NO BOOTS then find a Pharmacy that deals with 'SigFoto' labs -- part of Sigma Pharmaceuticals -- they also do an excellent job. ( I already have THREE PRAKTICAS saved from the Council Tip and they all work well ! )

Do you need to de-rate outdated film if it has been kept in a freezer, and is this more of a problem with colour film than B&W?
Chris,

Pentax K1ii, K3, K-m & MX-1.
Pentax LX, MX, ME Super & MV.
"Old Skool" with the new!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 28/10/2013 - 20:31
Out-dated film should generally be rated at a lower ISO. How much lower depends on how far past the date it is and how it's been stored. B&W usually expires much later than colour, so it makes sense that it should age better.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.