I am considering buying a budget af wide angle lens

Any views re the following lenses for use with pentax mz30

Cosina 19-35mm af zoom
Vivitar Series 1 19-35mm af zoom

Many thanks
Jonathan

johnriley

Link Posted 08/08/2002 - 22:04
To the best of my knowledge, these two lenses are the same lens with different badges - therefore, buy the one with the lowest price!
However, it must be said that good wide angles cannot be made cheaply. It depends what size you intend to enlarge the pictures to, but I would not use the lenses mentioned for the 16" x 12" black and white prints that I make. On the other hand, they could be OK for 6" x 4" colour prints. I would expect more flare with these lenses, lower contrast and less durability than you would expect from a genuine Pentax lens.
If you want a cheap wide angle zoom, the SMC Pentax-M 24-35mm is a superb lens, available widely second hand at very reasonable prices. It is, of course, manual focus only, but does that matter for a wide angle?
If you use only pentax lenses, all the controls work the same way (direction of f-stops etc), the colour balance will be consistent and the quality will be second to none.
In summary, I would without doubt buy pentax and buy second hand to get a mass of superb lenses at really low prices!
Best regards, John

jjm

Link Posted 08/08/2002 - 22:15
Thanks John,
Will start browsing the second hand market

Cheers,
Jonathan
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.