Brownsea Castle

LennyBloke
Posted 13/09/2020 - 12:39 Link
We were fortunate to stay in the castle for a few days last week (our first holiday for a year) - it is leased by the John Lewis partnership from the National Trust for staff to use, and the tranquillity of Brownsea island plus the abundance of Deer and Red Squirrels made for a very welcome break.

1.
Comment Image


2.
Comment Image


3.
Comment Image


4.
Comment Image


5.
Comment Image


LennyBloke
reso
Posted 13/09/2020 - 15:54 Link
wow what a place lucky you
k5iis sigma 10-20 hsm tamron 17-50 pentax da 18-135 pentax A 50 f 1;1 7
pentax da*60-250 pentax da 55-300 sigma apo 150-500 hsm os pentax af1.7 adapter
Pentax af aw 1.4 rear converter and a flash
McGregNi
Posted 13/09/2020 - 17:14 Link
I've not seen it that close up before, and it's much more substantial than it appears from the distant shores around Poole Harbour, where I normally see it from.

Nice imposing low angles and bright sparkling light makes some great photos here!

Here's an editing hint I would like to pass around, not just to you here of course but for all of us who like to carefully control the dynamic range and contrast in our images... I have found it can be beneficial to find a "whites" or "whitepoint" control (as distinct from "highlights") and to independently pull this up a little to allow the very top end of the white range to kind of peak and poke through (eg some bits of the clouds, or hotspots on metalwork or windows). This shouldn't pull up the overall high zones, just a few bits here and there. It can give an added sparkle and freshness to images where the dynamic range has been pulled in a bit for technical reasons (such as with the images here). Anyway, maybe worth a try for us and some discussion.....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 13/09/2020 - 17:23
LennyBloke
Posted 13/09/2020 - 18:42 Link
McGregNi wrote:
I've not seen it that close up before, and it's much more substantial than it appears from the distant shores around Poole Harbour, where I normally see it from.

Nice imposing low angles and bright sparkling light makes some great photos here!

Here's an editing hint I would like to pass around, not just to you here of course but for all of us who like to carefully control the dynamic range and contrast in our images... I have found it can be beneficial to find a "whites" or "whitepoint" control (as distinct from "highlights") and to independently pull this up a little to allow the very top end of the white range to kind of peak and poke through (eg some bits of the clouds, or hotspots on metalwork or windows). This shouldn't pull up the overall high zones, just a few bits here and there. It can give an added sparkle and freshness to images where the dynamic range has been pulled in a bit for technical reasons (such as with the images here). Anyway, maybe worth a try for us and some discussion.....
I'd be more than happy for you to demonstrate on any of these photos - I don't have enough depth of knowledge to quite grasp what the technique is but I'm happy to learn
LennyBloke
McGregNi
Posted 13/09/2020 - 19:48 Link
Well let's see if you actually like it first, after I've put my money where my month is! Then I'll explain the steps, which will vary of course depending on the software being used.

I enjoyed the invitation to edit your photos so much that I'll admit to using a few more little steps then I originally referred to.... Let's see what the verdict is on these two edits....

First is your original.....

Comment Image



... and my edited example....

Comment Image



... and another of your originals....

Comment Image


... and my edited example...

Comment Image



It would be good to see a few opinions here. It's not a competition, I would fully accept the view that the originals are preferable... I think the edits are subtle, but in my view add a little fizz and pizazz that benefit the images, and perhaps bring them closer to the natural dynamic range that was on display there.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
pschlute
Posted 13/09/2020 - 19:57 Link
fabulous place to stay...lucky you.

1+5 are my favourites.

3 is a lovely record but has distortion issues.
Sry
Posted 13/09/2020 - 23:45 Link
Looks a splendid place to visit, LennyBloke - do you have images of the interior? 2 & 4 have my preference, 4 being quite a clever catch.
alfpics
Posted 14/09/2020 - 08:26 Link
This place is well hidden - even having been on Brownsea Island! Nice place to stay and some lovely images.

Also like what Nigel has done with the two tweaked versions; added a bit of subtle 'punch' to them without going OTT!
Andy
Edited by alfpics: 14/09/2020 - 08:27
LennyBloke
Posted 14/09/2020 - 18:12 Link
Good to see your edits Nigel, thanks for putting the effort in - and yes they do have more punch to them! I prefer your version of the second photo and like both versions of the first equally. I was expecting a lot more vibrancy, but you've kept the colour range pretty much as is

I have been changing my processing "technique" (if you can call it that) lately, dropping the contrast back a little simply because I find many images taken with my more modern lenses (particularly the D-FA series) are a bit too punchy sometimes and aren't as "natural" looking as I'd like. This tends to be the opposite of what I do with older (K, M, A) lenses - with these I often have to boost the contrast a little.

Sorry Serge - no interiors this time, the social distance was done so well that I didn't feel inclined to encroach on the "bubbles" of others.

Peter - what do you mean by "distortion issues"? Do you mean the chosen style of upshooting with the resultant converging verticals or something else? I'm not sure that I applied the lens profile in editing for the D-FA 15-30

Thanks all for the comments
LennyBloke
cardiffgareth
Posted 14/09/2020 - 19:05 Link
Love that big sky in number 3
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
HarisF1
Posted 14/09/2020 - 19:09 Link
I love the lot of them. The third one does look slightly off due to the converging verticals but possibly also a slight tilt (maybe 5-10 degrees clockwise might help?) The scene is superb though.

With regards to the edit, I think Nigel has extracted a bit more vibrancy from the scene at the expense of the foreground interest. The original version has the plant showing up in the foreground and standing out very crisply, with a gentle softness to the background. The edited version makes it appear like a much flatter scene with a bit more fun about it. I wonder if you could somehow extract a bit more colour without losing the 3d pop effect of the original.
All the gear with no idea
pschlute
Posted 15/09/2020 - 06:17 Link
LennyBloke wrote:

Peter - what do you mean by "distortion issues"? Do you mean the chosen style of upshooting with the resultant converging verticals or something else? I'm not sure that I applied the lens profile in editing for the D-FA 15-30

Yes simply the converging verticals, most noticeable on the left. I have done the same on many of my pictures with the 15-30.

I had a quick go at correcting them in PS .......Comment Image
LennyBloke
Posted 15/09/2020 - 12:02 Link
pschlute wrote:
LennyBloke wrote:

Peter - what do you mean by "distortion issues"? Do you mean the chosen style of upshooting with the resultant converging verticals or something else? I'm not sure that I applied the lens profile in editing for the D-FA 15-30

Yes simply the converging verticals, most noticeable on the left. I have done the same on many of my pictures with the 15-30.

I had a quick go at correcting them in PS .......Comment Image
Yep - I see what you mean, that does improve it - this is the version I worked on when seeing your comments...
Comment Image
EDIT - although my verticals still aren't as good as yours

Thanks for all the additional comments too Guys
LennyBloke
Edited by LennyBloke: 15/09/2020 - 12:14
Sry
Posted 15/09/2020 - 15:55 Link
LennyBloke wrote:
Sorry Serge - no interiors this time, the social distance was done so well that I didn't feel inclined to encroach on the "bubbles" of others.
Quite understandable, under the circumstances.

McGregNi wrote:
It would be good to see a few opinions here... a little fizz and pizazz...
Works well on the second image, but the cursors have been pushed a bit far on the first, for my taste.
HarisF1
Posted 15/09/2020 - 17:07 Link
LennyBloke wrote:

Comment Image
EDIT - although my verticals still aren't as good as yours
Thanks for all the additional comments too Guys
I really like this version. I think a bit of distortion is necessary and makes the building look a little bit more imposing.
All the gear with no idea

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo