Breakfast on the lawn

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 26/09/2022 - 11:20
A SparrowHawk had breakfast on our front lawn this morning.
Trouble is that dog walkers keep going past and so it flies off.
Still waiting for it to return - as it has done already.
Pentax poised and ready!

Grumpy GrandPa, Recently Retired.
Gotta K-3 iii now, had a K-S2 and so suffering from a relapse and buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 40 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more

takuman

Link Posted 26/09/2022 - 13:17
Great shot very well captured. Thanks for sharing
Just passing thru

Helpful

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 26/09/2022 - 14:23
Great photographs. The SparrowHawk is such a beautiful bird. Built for what it does best.
Be well, stay safe.

Helpful

LennyBloke

Link Posted 26/09/2022 - 18:35
takuman wrote:
Great shot very well captured. Thanks for sharing

+1 - I think
LennyBloke

Helpful

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 26/09/2022 - 18:53
I have been lucky and been able to observe various visits during the day from a partially open window - 5 visits in total.
(The initial kill and feeding started just before 7 AM this morning).
The "Yorkshire Sparrow" is always alert when feeding but not able to fly off with the heavy load, yet.
This one below was taken during the 6PM feeding session.
I felt as though I was being threatened with one of those looks!

Gotta K-3 iii now, had a K-S2 and so suffering from a relapse and buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 40 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 26/09/2022 - 19:11
Awesome!

That last separate image - get that camera out of my face or your next!
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - K3ii - two Z-1P - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Sigma EX 20mm - FA 28-70mm f4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Flickr
Instagram

My PPG
Foundation NFT

Helpful

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 26/09/2022 - 23:22
cardiffgareth wrote:
Awesome!

That last separate image - get that camera out of my face or your next!

Gareth nails it.

On a lighter note, perhaps this bird is saying, 'Do you want fries with that?' Alternatively, alternatively... 'Do you feel lucky? (Long pause.) Punk?'
Be well, stay safe.
Last Edited by Urbanmeister on 26/09/2022 - 23:23

pschlute

Link Posted 27/09/2022 - 09:14
Majestic birds, and exceptionally good photos too.
Peter

My Flickr page

Lubbyman

Link Posted 27/09/2022 - 10:52
Wow! What a catch - both for the sparrowhawk and you. A chance in a lifetime and you took it and took it well . I've had both sparrowhawks and dismembered pigeons in the garden, but never at the same time. And the sparrowhawks have always gone before I could get a camera.

As for that last, standalone picture - there's something disconcerting about having a bird of prey stare at you, even in a photo. Whatever rational thought might say, it's hard not to think that it's sizing you up for its next meal...

Steve

Helpful

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 27/09/2022 - 11:04
Thanks all for comments so far.
Yes, it's a rare chance for it to happen like that.
The fact that she kept coming back made the day interesting - I became a real curtain twitcher.

As is often the case, a photo is not just a set of pixels or a print - it's a reminder of something special and this certainly was a great memory,

I've been to the wild bird sanctuary at Helmsley and got some great photos of their birds of prey BUT it's easier when they are perched on someone else's leather gloved hand!
https://www.ncbp.co.uk/visit-us/
Last Edited by GrumpyGrandPa on 27/09/2022 - 11:24
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.