Boycott?

RobL

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 12:45
Does anyone else feel uncomfortable about ordering Chinese made equipment given their record of animal abuse in supplying wet markets and the resultant epidemics of which Coronavirus is the latest?

Looking at Chinese lenses like Samyang and lighting such as Phottix in the current deals I hesitated and couldnít bring myself to even shortlist anything. I know Chinese stuff is ubiquitous as components in all sorts of technological equipment including phones and computers so sifting everything is almost impossible but for me where there is a choice I am looking elsewhere even if it costs more.

johnriley

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 13:53
It's probably a bit simplistic to lay blame in that sort of way. We're all human beings and we're all suffering the same problems, regardless of how it started, which in itself is unclear in any confirmed way.

I'm aiming on the idea that we all pull together and support each other and hopefully look to getting back to normal as soon as possible.
Best regards, John

RobL

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 14:20
johnriley wrote:
It's probably a bit simplistic to lay blame in that sort of way. We're all human beings and we're all suffering the same problems, regardless of how it started, which in itself is unclear in any confirmed way.

I'm aiming on the idea that we all pull together and support each other and hopefully look to getting back to normal as soon as possible.

Until next time. For thousands of people life will never return to normal. The World Health Organisation are pretty confident as to the source of the outbreak, they are looking for the species to which the virus crossed from bats and are investigatiing hygiene practices in the wet markets. It is outside their remit though to take a view on the use of endangered species.
Last Edited by RobL on 11/04/2020 - 14:23

Gwyn

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 14:45
I think it is almost impossible to boycott Chinese made/owned products, no matter how much you want to, unless you just stop buying anything except food produced locally.

DOIK

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 14:59
For your information Samyang are Korean

John

Lubbyman

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 15:18
Ebola and HIV both jumped from animals to humans but not in China. As for animal abuse, just ask the RSPCA and other animal charities how the UK is doing. And how about boycotting goods and services from the UK, Europe, USA and any other country that is pushing plastic and both noxious and climate changing gases into the environment? Or refusing to buy a lens or camera that is made of plastic rather than metal? Or not buying photographic equipment unless we're 100% sure that everyone involved in the supply chain is being paid a decent wage with sick pay and pension contributions?

There's a very long list of things that are causing problems for mankind and we're all guilty of contributing to them...

Anyway, it doesn't look like the Chinese government is any happier than we are about Covid-19.

Steve

RobL

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 15:19
DOIK wrote:
For your information Samyang are Korean

John

Oh thatís good!

RobL

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 15:45
Gwyn wrote:
I think it is almost impossible to boycott Chinese made/owned products, no matter how much you want to, unless you just stop buying anything except food produced locally.

Thatís not quite true, most food comes from elsewhere but I accept that Chinese goods are pretty ubiquitous. That in itself is a cause for concern on an economic level but I am not talking about that; the authoritarian Chinese regime is on course to becoming the worldís most powerful nation through economic and military domination and is oblivious to outside sensitivities unless that impacts economically. Ivory, rhino horn and pangolin scales as well as other animal parts have seen a huge increase in demand from an increasingly affluent population for traditional medicines and food and it is from their markets that this disease has spread, creating massive human and economic damage globally. Every single one of us is affected and just as survivorsí lungs may be permanently damaged so will our economic circumstances. For me Chinese goods have become tainted by association and I would rather support manufacturers from elsewhere.

Gwyn

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 17:37
I support your feelings, but just because goods, or food comes from elsewhere doesn't mean the Chinese are not involved. They own a lot of companies around the world, but perhaps don't advertise that fact so much.
Do you use barclays bnk? eat Weetabix? have a Pizza Express? Shope at House of Fraser or have your water supplied by Thames Water? Do you watch "American" made films? SUpport Wolves or Southampton or WBA (amongst others)? All CHinese owned or partly owned by Chinese. Greene King is owned by Hong Kong's richest man. DOn't forget "British" Steel and new nuclear power stations too.
See - not easy to boycott the Chinese.

HarisF1

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 17:41
Reducing our use of Chinese goods is do-able, but the sentiment should also extend to similar 'evils' in the world too, not just the Chinese.

It's easy to pick the boogeyman across the planet while ignoring the injustices at home. As Gwyn said, the Chinese influence runs deep because our own 'influential folk' allow it to.

JAK

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 18:06
Gwyn wrote:
I support your feelings, but just because goods, or food comes from elsewhere doesn't mean the Chinese are not involved. They own a lot of companies around the world, but perhaps don't advertise that fact so much.
Do you use barclays bnk?

No
Gwyn wrote:
eat Weetabix?

No
Gwyn wrote:
have a Pizza Express?

No
Gwyn wrote:
Shop at House of Fraser

No
Gwyn wrote:
or have your water supplied by Thames Water?

No
Gwyn wrote:
Do you watch "American" made films?

No
Gwyn wrote:
SUpport Wolves or Southampton or WBA (amongst others)?

No
Seems we can manage without then!
John K

Lubbyman

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 19:04
China is so influential in the world because it was able to produce cheaply the things that the world wanted. Just like Britain did following the industrial revolution. British domination didn't last (in spite of being oblivious to outside sensitivities unless it impacted economically). Nor did that of the USA which followed. Nor will Chinese domination last - although with almost 20% of the world's population you'd expect it be pretty influential (the UK is less than 1%...).

Let's go back to pinhole cameras, folks, we can make them ourselves . Not sure where the film would come from though...

Steve

RobL

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 19:40
Ditto Jak, me too. So a Quixotic quest then, but consider this: after this many perfectly viable companies and institutions will have been seriously weakened and vulnerable to takeover at bargain basement prices by those able to take advantage: any guesses? A field day for conspiracy theorists of which I am not one.

Futile or not I prefer now to find alternatives to items of Chinese origin, they just leave a bad taste.

jeallen01

Link Posted 11/04/2020 - 21:34
JAK wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
Do you use barclays bnk?

No
Gwyn wrote:
eat Weetabix?

No
Gwyn wrote:
have a Pizza Express?

No
Gwyn wrote:
Shop at House of Fraser

No
Gwyn wrote:
or have your water supplied by Thames Water?

No
Gwyn wrote:
Do you watch "American" made films?

No
Gwyn wrote:
SUpport Wolves or Southampton or WBA (amongst others)?

No
Seems we can manage without then!

DITTO, on ALL counts, except possibly the "American films" as that's very difficult to avoid, or even know what to avoid.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 11/04/2020 - 21:37

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 12/04/2020 - 09:29
If you want to look for further examples of animal abuse leading to human illness then look no further than mad cow disease (CJD in humans), which was caused by unscrupulous farmers feeding the animals the ground-up remains of their kin. That was right at home in the UK.

For something that hasn't hit hard yet but will be a much greater problem, look at the routine feeding of antibiotics to livestock, which is well on the way to rendering all antibiotics useless. That will result in millions of deaths from what we currently consider very minor infections. This practice happens across the western world and is probably the biggest threat to human health in the world: far, far greater than COVID-19, Ebola, HIV and even cancer.

The world is full of people willing to use any means to make their products cheaper and thereby secure a larger market share and more income. It's also full of people who don't observe basic hygiene practices regarding livestock. They're the product of an overly economically-focused view on food production, where making or saving money is the most important item on the agenda and risks to human health are very much secondary.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.