Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Bovisand in the drizzle.

Posted 09/07/2021 - 18:58 Link
As I have no filters/adapter that fit my DSLR kit yet, I have been playing around on this grey day with hand holding an old Cokin 65mm square filter, "Gradual G2, No.121" it states on the case - but has been stored 30'ish years.
I found it just covered the front of the 28-105mm K1 kit lens (which takes a 62mm screw in filter).
The drizzly weather was on and off but I managed to get the following shots.

Criticism welcome, hopefully helpful as I'm a novice with RT and Gimp. No tripod, K1 mkii.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
LennyBloke
Posted 09/07/2021 - 19:16 Link
Nice little set there Of the 3 photos you've got the 2nd one just right (IMO) - there's darkening of the clouds yet still some brightness toward the horizon. The 3rd shot looks too unnatural with the sky appearing a bit "muddy" and the first isn't far off - maybe if the filter had been moved slightly higher that horizon and headland to the right would have been a little cleaner.

Hope you take this as constructive criticism -
LennyBloke
Flan
Posted 09/07/2021 - 19:44 Link
There is a built in graduated filter in RT and it does a good job as you can turn it in any direction and increase or decrease its intensity.
Very handy with subjects that are uneven with the horizon as you can angle the GF so not
to cast a shadow on them , this happened to you on the lighthouse to the right in the first photo.
I find RT fantastic now I have gotten more used to it.
Tone mapping is great to just switch it on and the levels are already preset
It can make a dramatic change straight away but you’ll have to watch your exposure.
The second photo is better because the horizon is fairly level, but still to deep the graduation in photo number 3
Hope this helps
Edited by Flan: 09/07/2021 - 19:46
Posted 09/07/2021 - 20:34 Link
Thanks guys for the helpful advice, I shall try and take more time in PP instead of hurrying through, I was as always excited to get the pics out there. I do see where improvements can be made and what to utilise to achieve it, thanks again.
Flan
Posted 09/07/2021 - 22:57 Link
just to add, Rawtherappe is brilliant with raw files not so great with jpegs
the k1 has large files so hope your computer can cope
so shoot raw for RT
pschlute
Posted 10/07/2021 - 20:54 Link
Nice set, you have brought life to the scene.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.