Bigma soft pics

geordiegraham

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 16:59
I have just bought a K5ii which is a big difference to my K10D and have it attached to my Bigma which I use at 400mm.I had doubts about the lens giving very soft pics at 400mm and was hoping that the lens correction on the K5ii may help but have found out that it only works on Pentax lenses.Is there anything I can do to check the performance or will I need to sent it to Sigma.

dpm

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 17:17
While lens correction doesn't work AF calibration does. Have you checked it's focus?

geordiegraham

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 17:18
Here are a few pics I took this week.

geordiegraham

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 17:24
Ah, you see If I had read the WHOLE manual I wouldn`t now look a complete dick.I have mistaken lens correction with AF fine adjustment.will play with the AF adjustment and see what happens.The camera is brilliant.

geordiegraham

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 17:39
Am I right thinking that if shooting in Raw is best to make sure there are no in camera photo enhancements.

Graham

fritzthedog

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 18:04
geordiegraham wrote:
Am I right thinking that if shooting in Raw is best to make sure there are no in camera photo enhancements.

Graham

If you intend post processing - RAW gives you more detail to play with. If you intend doing as little PP as possible - JPEG results often look better straight out of camera - if in doubt - use RAW+ and get JPEG and RAW - this is what I normally do.

Regards
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

geordiegraham

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 18:05
Having looked at the photo`s exif i have noticed the speeds are low.the set-up is attached to a Manfotto 393 head on a monopod attached to my wheelchair via a hide clamp.Its fairly steady but with the weight it can still be a bit wobbly at the top (trying to find a way to anchor the top to the chair ).I think the best set up would to use the TAv and set the speed at 800-1000 plus and the AV at f11.I seem to be answering my own questions.Note to self,look at all the settings before whingeing.

Graham

fritzthedog

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 18:13
fritzthedog wrote:
geordiegraham wrote:
Having looked at the photo`s exif i have noticed the speeds are low.the set-up is attached to a Manfotto 393 head on a monopod attached to my wheelchair via a hide clamp.Its fairly steady but with the weight it can still be a bit wobbly at the top (trying to find a way to anchor the top to the chair ).I think the best set up would to use the TAv and set the speed at 800-1000 plus and the AV at f11.I seem to be answering my own questions.Note to self,look at all the settings before whingeing.

Graham

May not matter if as you say it is a bit wobbly - but if you have the camera anchored so that it does not move at all - don't forget to turn the image stabilisation off otherwise that can have a detrimental impact on the IQ. You may want to try it on and off.

Carl

No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

geordiegraham

Link Posted 08/05/2014 - 20:08
Thanks for that Carl will try that.

Graham
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.