Beetle in Flight

Lubbyman

Link Posted 10/07/2019 - 18:53
Until today, I thought that birds in flight was difficult...

Lots of soldier beetles in the garden today. Spent a while trying to spot when they were about to take off. Then spent another while trying to press the shutter button quick enough for the beetle to still be in the frame. As for focus ... all luck rather than judgement. But got lucky once.

And here it is.

Steve

derek897

Link Posted 11/07/2019 - 08:03
Well captured, that cant have been easy,
But what a great way to pass some time, and you got an excellent shot too.

Now for today's macro challenge, how about a beetle flying towards you. With its eyes in focus

Only joking I'm not that mean
I know what i like, If not always why.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 11/07/2019 - 09:51
Thanks for the kind words.

derek897 wrote:
Now for today's macro challenge, how about a beetle flying towards you. With its eyes in focus

No, no, no, absolutely not - life's too short and the list of jobs to be done is too long!!!

In case you're wondering, I noticed that a beetle standing at the edge of a leaf and waving its antennae was likely to take off soon. Presumably it's a male trying to pick up pheromones from a female. Once it lands, it runs around like crazy until it finds what it's looking for or stands still and waves its antennae again.

Come to think of it, if they always take off in the direction they are pointing when standing still, a head-on shot might be possible... Aaaagh!!!!

Steve

derek897

Link Posted 11/07/2019 - 09:53
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂😂
I know what i like, If not always why.

coker

Link Posted 11/07/2019 - 11:02
Astounding!
10/10!

Out walking the dog earlier, every cow parsley top had about half a dozen on board, all down the lane, there must have been hundreds!

Thanks for letting us see,

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!

LennyBloke

Link Posted 11/07/2019 - 13:31
Impressive capture Steve - you say "Luck" but experience, patience and your good eye have probably contributed more
LennyBloke

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 11/07/2019 - 16:01
Well done Steve... well worth the effort...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

davidwozhere

Link Posted 22/07/2019 - 00:50
I've tried to do this. It's flippin' hard so well done!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.