Garden Macros and Snakes

davidstorm
Posted 07/07/2019 - 22:46 Link
Continuing the recent theme of macros with extension tubes, here are a few from our garden this weekend. All were taken with Extension Tubes of varying lengths, some with a Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 and some with a Pentax 100mm WR Macro F2.8. The exceptions are the 'Snake' shots, which are the DA*300. All are taken with a Pentax K-3. Hope you like them, please comment and critique.

1. Hoverfly on Wild Flower - Pentax-A 50mm + Tubes
Comment Image


2. Tiny Fly on Water Forget-me-not - Pentax 100 Macro + Tubes
Comment Image


3. Grass Snake in Pond - DA*300
Comment Image


4. Grass Snake again - DA*300
Comment Image


5. Unknown Fly (Wasp?) - Pentax 100 Macro + Tubes + diffused flash
Comment Image


6. Unknown Fly again - Pentax 100 Macro + Tubes + Diffused Flash
Comment Image


7. Hoverfly on Wild Flower - Pentax-A 50mm + Tubes
Comment Image


8. Hoverfly on Wild Flower - Pentax-A 50mm + Tubes
Comment Image


9. Hoverfly on Wild Flower - Pentax-A 50mm + Tubes
Comment Image


10. Unknown Spider, in Reeds near pond - Pentax 100 Macro + Tubes
Comment Image


11. Unknown Solitary Bee - Pentax 100 Macro + Tubes + diffused flash
Comment Image


12. Unknown Solitary Bee - Pentax 100 Macro + Tubes + diffused flash
Comment Image


13. Unknown Solitary Bee - Pentax 100 Macro + Tubes + diffused flash
Comment Image


14. Unknown Solitary Bee - Pentax 100 Macro + Tubes + diffused flash
Comment Image


Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Edited by davidstorm: 07/07/2019 - 22:55
derek897
Posted 07/07/2019 - 22:56 - Helpful Comment Link
Woo hoo, what a set
Super balance of detail, colours and composition.
I tend to sacrifice all for detail, just cant help it 😂
So for me this set is great, how they can be shot.
No critique just well done. 👏👏👏
I know what i like, If not always why.
davidstorm
Posted 07/07/2019 - 23:02 Link
derek897 wrote:
Woo hoo, what a set
Super balance of detail, colours and composition.
I tend to sacrifice all for detail, just cant help it 😂
So for me this set is great, how they can be shot.
No critique just well done. 👏👏👏
Hi Derek, thank you for your comments! I always place composition as my highest priority, which might be why these images are as they are. My thought process is to get the composition right and try my hardest to get critical focus in the right place, but to get the compo right I never use any kind of camera support as it is too restrictive. This leads to a lack of sharpness (sometimes), but I think it's worth the sacrifice. I prefer the non-flash shots, but the flash does give leeway for a bit of camera shake. Everything is a compromise with macro, especially if you're doing it outside with live critters and no controlled conditions.

Cheers
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
LennyBloke
Posted 07/07/2019 - 23:05 - Helpful Comment Link
Such a strong set David, great variety, composition, selective focus, processing - everything about them works so well
LennyBloke
derek897
Posted 07/07/2019 - 23:11 - Helpful Comment Link
Absolutely agree on the non support side, just not viable when mooching around bushes and ditches 😂
Non flashed shots produce a quality that flashed shots dont have, I really like getting out with my 135mm and tubes, no flash, when the light permits.
But sometimes if its absolute detail I'm after, then flash will be used, it is of course all about balance, and for me it's not so much a case of trying to blend both, but I see both as different styles, and each has its place, for me anyway. (And I couldn't choose one over the other)
👏👏👏
I know what i like, If not always why.
redbusa99
Posted 08/07/2019 - 00:22 Link
excellent set David, well up to your usual high standard. liking the Grass Snake definitely a different garden visitor
odd lens or 2

Flickr
Posted 08/07/2019 - 09:26 Link
Super set David... particularly like the grass snake and the hoverfly on the flower... very strong across the board...

Best
Lubbyman
Posted 08/07/2019 - 09:29 Link
davidstorm wrote:
Everything is a compromise with macro, especially if you're doing it outside with live critters and no controlled conditions.
Totally agree. But you've got the compromises spot on with this set. I like 'em all, with the first two having the edge for me.

You must have had rain recently in Sheffield. I had to top up my pond yesterday, not enough water for a paddling frog at one end, let alone a grass snake.

Steve
Chrism8
Posted 08/07/2019 - 12:37 Link
Superbly well shot, I think you wimped out a bit in not shooting the grass snake with the 100mm macro + ext tubes, what's wrong with
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
McBrian
Posted 08/07/2019 - 15:23 Link
Great set as always
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
davidstorm
Posted 09/07/2019 - 22:32 Link
Sincere thanks for the comments everyone, I really enjoy macro photography, although it does take up a lot of time!

Cheers
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
derek897
Posted 10/07/2019 - 08:55 Link
Snakes in the garden, are you sure it's not a zoo you're in ???
Damn St Patrick for banishing all the snakes from Ireland

They are cracking shots though.

Just a question not a criticism, did the WB. Shift between both snake shots.
Colour reproduction in first, is much more pleasant, more magenta in the 2nd one.

Again though,
Cracking set.
I know what i like, If not always why.
davidstorm
Posted 10/07/2019 - 22:15 Link
derek897 wrote:
Snakes in the garden, are you sure it's not a zoo you're in ???
Damn St Patrick for banishing all the snakes from Ireland

They are cracking shots though.

Just a question not a criticism, did the WB. Shift between both snake shots.
Colour reproduction in first, is much more pleasant, more magenta in the 2nd one.

Again though,
Cracking set.
Hi Derek, I'm really not sure what happened, these were processed with identical WB settings, I even processed them twice to make sure, but for some reason the second one came out completely different. I can't explain it, these were the only 2 shots from the day that looked so different!

Cheers
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Sry
Posted 11/07/2019 - 22:06 - Helpful Comment Link
The very first bug stands out for me, lots of interest generated by minimal elements, and the light touches of purple against the multiple shades of yellow add to the dynamics.
Edited by Sry: 11/07/2019 - 22:07
davidwozhere
Posted 22/07/2019 - 01:08 Link
Wonderful pictures. I also have to agree with David about composition and natural light. Have you tried cranking up the ISO Derek? Not being a flash user nor a super mega macro type I don't know whether you could still get the sheer image quality that sets your work apart.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo