Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Battery for Spotmatic SP500

dangie
Posted 17/03/2021 - 23:08 Link
Many apologies if this has been asked before, I'm sure it has but I can't find anything recent.

Does anyone know what currently available battery, if any, will work in the Pentax SP500 camera? Thank you.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
davidstorm
Posted 17/03/2021 - 23:30 Link
dangie wrote:
Many apologies if this has been asked before, I'm sure it has but I can't find anything recent.

Does anyone know what currently available battery, if any, will work in the Pentax SP500 camera? Thank you.

Hi Dave

You can get away with Rayovac Hearing Aid batteries, see link below:

link

They just about fit and work the meter with no problems. Hope this helps.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
doingthebobs
Posted 17/03/2021 - 23:53 Link
The Spotmatics were built to use a mercury battery (PX400/V400PX/RM400)of 1.35v, as were many other cameras of the time. Unfortunately the mercury batteries were discontinued in the 1970's but due to the forethought and good design of Pentax cameras, a bridge circuit on the battery, they are not sensitive to different battery voltages!
As long as it fits ok in the battery chamber, an SR44 (silver)or LR44(alkaline) 1.5v battery will work the meter fine. These are the same as the ones used on the K, M, P and most of the A series cameras. They are a different shape but usually will fit ok but may want a bit of careful packing with a bit of paper or thin card, to keep them central in the battery chamber and in contact with the battery contacts.
There is also a battery replacement for the old PX400 battery called a WEIN Cell but they are expensive and don't last well, whereas the LR44 are cheap and easy to get hold of.

All the best, Bob
Bob
davidstorm
Posted 18/03/2021 - 00:01 Link
doingthebobs wrote:
The Spotmatics were built to use a mercury battery (PX400/V400PX/RM400)of 1.35v, as were many other cameras of the time. Unfortunately the mercury batteries were discontinued in the 1970's but due to the forethought and good design of Pentax cameras, a bridge circuit on the battery, they are not sensitive to different battery voltages!
As long as it fits ok in the battery chamber, an SR44 (silver)or LR44(alkaline) 1.5v battery will work the meter fine. These are the same as the ones used on the K, M, P and most of the A series cameras. They are a different shape but usually will fit ok but may want a bit of careful packing with a bit of paper or thin card, to keep them central in the battery chamber and in contact with the battery contacts.
There is also a battery replacement for the old PX400 battery called a WEIN Cell but they are expensive and don't last well, whereas the LR44 are cheap and easy to get hold of.

All the best, Bob

To make the LR44's work in a Spotmatic, you have to remove the plastic round piece in the battery compartment, otherwise they do not fit. The plastic can be brittle and can break when removing it. This is why I use the Rayovac Hearing Aid batteries as the battery compartment will take them with no modifications.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
womble
Posted 18/03/2021 - 07:05 Link
After too much fiddling around, I went for a replacement battery cover that takes the hearing aid batteries which are common and cheap as chips. The cover is pricey as it contains (unnecessary) electronics to adjust the voltage, but in the longer term it will be cheaper than Wein cells and easier to use. It also can be moved around my various varieties of Spottie.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
danofmk
Posted 18/03/2021 - 07:26 Link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-35V-PX400-MR-42-RM400-H-B-MRB400-Adapter-Battery-Fo...

These too, as they come with a spacer to help with the fit
johnha
Posted 18/03/2021 - 07:40 Link
doingthebobs wrote:
The Spotmatics were built to use a mercury battery (PX400/V400PX/RM400)of 1.35v, as were many other cameras of the time.

Note though that the Spotmatic F used a different battery, a PX625. IIRC this is also the battery used in the square clip on meter for the SV etc series.

womble wrote:
After too much fiddling around, I went for a replacement battery cover that takes the hearing aid batteries which are common and cheap as chips. The cover is pricey as it contains (unnecessary) electronics to adjust the voltage, but in the longer term it will be cheaper than Wein cells and easier to use. It also can be moved around my various varieties of Spottie.

This was my choice, especially as one camera had a missing battery cover. The original covers cost more than a full camera. Long version, the battery cover was welded to the baseplate by a leaked battery, I was able to get a replacement baseplate but without the cover.
Edited by johnha: 18/03/2021 - 07:47
dangie
Posted 18/03/2021 - 15:34 Link
Hello everyone. Thanks very much for your help. Much appreciated.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 19/03/2021 - 08:34 Link
womble wrote:

I didn't know such things existed. Can you tell me where you got it?

Edit: is it this? https://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_h-b_adapter.htm
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Edited by Jonathan-Mac: 19/03/2021 - 08:35
womble
Posted 19/03/2021 - 13:47 Link
Yup, that's the one. Cheaper if you happen to be in the US from the manufacturers (CRIS) as the price in US$ is the same numbers as the Small Battery company charge in UKŁ.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.