Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax MZ-5 Lenses

Posted 23/01/2021 - 10:02 Link
I have been trying a new-to-me MZ-5 to help focussing with my ageing eyesight and I'm enjoying the camera. However, it came with a 28-200mm SMC FA lens which I find a bit heavy and more zoom than I need. Looking for a shorter zoom, say 28-80mm or thereabouts, but I am baffled by the seemingly multitude of mount variations (it's probably an age thing) so I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
barkin
Posted 23/01/2021 - 11:35 Link
Any (auto focus, if that's what you want) lens with a Pentax K mount will wotk.
pschlute
Posted 23/01/2021 - 11:40 Link
Yorkie wrote:
I have been trying a new-to-me MZ-5 to help focussing with my ageing eyesight and I'm enjoying the camera. However, it came with a 28-200mm SMC FA lens which I find a bit heavy and more zoom than I need. Looking for a shorter zoom, say 28-80mm or thereabouts, but I am baffled by the seemingly multitude of mount variations (it's probably an age thing) so I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

If you stick to Pentax lenses, any "K" mount lens will fit. You should be able to find plenty on ebay. For autofocus capability stick to F or FA lenses. I would avoid any modern lenses as you may have compatibility issues with your camera.

Look here http://kmp.pentaxians.eu/lenses/short/
Hardgravity
Posted 23/01/2021 - 11:57 Link
The standard lens for the MZ-5 was the silver FAJ 28-80, there's sevaral similar as well as the Fa 28-82 on ebay at the moment for reasonable prices.

And no I' not selling any...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Posted 23/01/2021 - 12:07 Link
Thanks for the swift responses, off to do a search now.
stevistds
Posted 23/01/2021 - 12:59 Link
I agree, I have a MZ5N I purchased it with a sigma 28-320mm which gave excellent results but was a bit unbalanced with the compact MZ5N, the pentax FA 28-80 is a reasonable lens and is much better suited as a "walk-around" , they can be found pretty cheaply one bay as well.
Hardgravity wrote:
The standard lens for the MZ-5 was the silver FAJ 28-80, there's sevaral similar as well as the Fa 28-82 on ebay at the moment for reasonable prices.

And no I' not selling any...

S1A, Spotmatic, K2, ME, ME Super, MX, LX, MZ5N, SF7, *istDS, K10 & K5
womble
Posted 23/01/2021 - 16:38 Link
Have a look at the US Pentax Forum as they have reviews of all these older zoom lenses. Many of the consumer grade ones are a bit ropey but some are great. If you don't need a large range, the F35-70 is surprisingly good and is both fairly common and quite cheap.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
pschlute
Posted 23/01/2021 - 19:28 Link
womble wrote:
Many of the consumer grade ones are a bit ropey

From personal experience I would steer clear of the FA 28-80 3.5/4.7. Apart from being slow the image quality is questionable,

The best lens in the range you want is in my opinion the FA 24-90 3.5/4.5. But it does sell for £150/200 today !
jeallen01
Posted 23/01/2021 - 22:24 Link
pschlute wrote:
womble wrote:

From personal experience I would steer clear of the FA 28-80 3.5/4.7. Apart from being ..!

I can only agree on that - my s/h copy was abysmal, even on film!
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
womble
Posted 23/01/2021 - 23:40 Link
jeallen01 wrote:
pschlute wrote:
Quote:

From personal experience I would steer clear of the FA 28-80 3.5/4.7. Apart from being ..!

I can only agree on that - my s/h copy was abysmal, even on film!

It has the worst average score for FA zooms on the US fora (6/10) although one or two people thought it wasn't all that bad. As always, age and variation in copies come in to play, but it doesn't seem very good unless you can get one to try for peanuts.

Very few of the FA zooms -- apart from the * lenses -- get anything like a decent score.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
angerdan
Posted 24/01/2021 - 15:57 Link
Yorkie wrote:
Thanks for the swift responses, off to do a search now.

Here you find a list with AF-Lenses for Pentax which are compatible with your MZ-5:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lenssearch/?minfl=24&maxfl=100&type=Zoom&inproducti...
Posted 25/01/2021 - 10:24 Link
Thanks for the extra info, still looking .....
bforbes
Posted 25/01/2021 - 12:50 Link
I'd put in a word for the Pentax F 35-70, if it covered the focal lengths you need. Once described as a bag of Primes.
Edited by bforbes: 25/01/2021 - 12:52
geordie01
Posted 25/01/2021 - 14:58 Link
Another vote for the 35/70 plus it does close focus I have a couple of them
Posted 14/02/2021 - 14:04 Link
After buying and returning a couple of really bad examples off the 'net (nowhere near as described - both faulty) I am beginning to despair so may I be allowed to ask if one of you fine fellows on this forum might be looking to move one on?

Oh, I just realised that this may be in the wrong place so would a Mod please move it if so. Thank you.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.