Banned subject matter
Posted 14/06/2010 - 15:49
Link
Why should you ban it?
Posted 14/06/2010 - 15:49
Link
So you want to stop the joy and fun of people new to photography taking their first sunset or swan and comparing their efforts against others. I think photographs are like fashion - its all been done before.
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 14/06/2010 - 16:41
Link
bforbes wrote:
So you want to stop the joy and fun of people new to photography taking their first sunset or swan and comparing their efforts against others. I think photographs are like fashion - its all been done before.
Couldn't agree more, would have a negative impact on newbies especially on forums also. After all we all try to emulate the great shots of members/ top photographers and need criticism on the work we produce. Learning the basics means taking the basic standard shots as we have all done.
So you want to stop the joy and fun of people new to photography taking their first sunset or swan and comparing their efforts against others. I think photographs are like fashion - its all been done before.
Posted 14/06/2010 - 16:58
Link
I have had my K-m for just under a year and on Saturday I took my first Swan shot. How will I get C&C if I cant publish it. Did you ever take a Swan or Sunset shot Ken?
Les
Les
K5, DAL18-55,SMC 50mm f2,DA 55-300, SCM F 35-70 and all the help I can get.
Posted 14/06/2010 - 17:25
Link
I doubt Ken is serious, or at least I doubt he seriously expects the idea to gain any traction
Speaking for myself I have yet to take a decent sunset photo, despite having a dslr of some sort for 2 years now! I do try on occasion, but they're consistently rubbish
Speaking for myself I have yet to take a decent sunset photo, despite having a dslr of some sort for 2 years now! I do try on occasion, but they're consistently rubbish
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 14/06/2010 - 17:35
Link
I posed the question of a 'ban' and didn't have this site in mind particularly; I was thinking of a more global ban that would force people away from the obvious, banal, tired, hackneyed, boring, and predictable in order to focus attention on the real potential of the amazing medium that is photography.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 14/06/2010 - 17:40
Link
I don't want to ban hackneyed and meritless stuff, we all produce it(don't we?). I want a ban on people seeing merit in very dull images. I see lots of technical advice and little on how to create interest or why something is interesting.
As soon as I get a decent long lens I'm going to get me a moon shot. Just like all the others here and on Flickr. And I'll be chasing bees with the rest of you as soon as I get my macro.
As soon as I get a decent long lens I'm going to get me a moon shot. Just like all the others here and on Flickr. And I'll be chasing bees with the rest of you as soon as I get my macro.
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 14/06/2010 - 18:16
Link
It would also deny the rest of us the chance to take our version of those shots. I haven't really had a go at a sunset yet as I haven't got around to buying a graduated ND filter, attempts without that tend to produce underexposed horizons or blown out skies.
There is no need to ban anything. The innovative and unusual photos will always get more favourable comments than poor ones with cliched subjects.
What I have always found sad are the people with identikit shop-bought art on their walls, especially Jack Vettriano. All credit to the chap, he's made a fortune from it, but it's all so bland and beige to my eyes. It doesn't mean anything to the people who bought it beyond being a pretty picture. In an age when even point and shoot compacts can produce images that look good blown up to A4 or A3 size why on earth aren't more people printing their best shots of meaningful subjects?
There is no need to ban anything. The innovative and unusual photos will always get more favourable comments than poor ones with cliched subjects.
What I have always found sad are the people with identikit shop-bought art on their walls, especially Jack Vettriano. All credit to the chap, he's made a fortune from it, but it's all so bland and beige to my eyes. It doesn't mean anything to the people who bought it beyond being a pretty picture. In an age when even point and shoot compacts can produce images that look good blown up to A4 or A3 size why on earth aren't more people printing their best shots of meaningful subjects?
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 14/06/2010 - 18:30
Link
Ban sunsets & swan shots Next to sitting on a mountain top alone, early in the morning, sunrises and sunsets are the moments I live for and I would be seriously stumped, even if it makes me a cliché. I see so much beauty I these things, subtle changes is shades, colour & tone and not forgetting dusk light shining through swans wings, translucent light illuminating swan beaks, reflections on droplets of water, arrgh I must stop before I start wondering lonely as cloud!!!!
On a more serious note the town I live in has quite an industrial feel that is transformed dramatically when the sun starts to rise or set, the subtle changes in light have encouraged me to constantly revisit areas I probably would have very quickly become board with and as a result my camera would have several hundred less clicks or possibly ended up on ebay. We can all become bored with certain types of picture and as a consequence see them as inconsequential. For me all my sunsets are an attempt to let the viewer see what I see, to capture a moment and the trouble is I always fall short of the mark. So until I do manage to bottle that emotion in a single image and get it out of my system, more of the same I'm afraid
On a more serious note the town I live in has quite an industrial feel that is transformed dramatically when the sun starts to rise or set, the subtle changes in light have encouraged me to constantly revisit areas I probably would have very quickly become board with and as a result my camera would have several hundred less clicks or possibly ended up on ebay. We can all become bored with certain types of picture and as a consequence see them as inconsequential. For me all my sunsets are an attempt to let the viewer see what I see, to capture a moment and the trouble is I always fall short of the mark. So until I do manage to bottle that emotion in a single image and get it out of my system, more of the same I'm afraid
Posted 14/06/2010 - 18:38
Link
gartmore wrote:
I posed the question of a 'ban' and didn't have this site in mind particularly; I was thinking of a more global ban that would force people away from the obvious, banal, tired, hackneyed, boring, and predictable in order to focus attention on the real potential of the amazing medium that is photography.
photography is about individual choice and freedom of choice(if you dont like the photos dont comment, we are all learning all the time.
I posed the question of a 'ban' and didn't have this site in mind particularly; I was thinking of a more global ban that would force people away from the obvious, banal, tired, hackneyed, boring, and predictable in order to focus attention on the real potential of the amazing medium that is photography.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



6724 posts
20 years
Glasgow,
Scotland
I propose a ban form now on on all cliched photographs of sunsets and swans, would anyone care to join me or propose a similar ban on other tired and hackneyed subject matter?
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -