Bahamian Dawn... (Image heavy)

matwhittington
Posted 24/10/2011 - 20:20 Link
Hello again all. I thought I would post some more pictures from my holiday (apologies for posting a load - I may have got carried away). Having had a good time in New York (see earlier thread) we spent a week in Grand Bahama. I took the opportunity for one or two early(ish) mornings to escape on my own for the odd hour to capture the dawn, and I thought I would post some of the results... In general the weather was beautiful during the day but there were some overnight storms which left some decent clouds in the early morning to add some texture to the sky, and the colour variations were amazing:

1.
Comment Image


2.
Comment Image


3.
Comment Image


4.
Comment Image


5.
Comment Image


6.
Comment Image


7.
Comment Image


8.
Comment Image


9.
Comment Image


I hope you like these - any C&C is appreciated as ever. All were taken with the K7 and either the kit lens (18-55) (Nos 1 - 6 I think), DA15 (7 & , or the DA21 (9) - I also used a polariser and a big stopper for the long exposures (7 & 9), fired off a lightweight tripod (Velbon Luxi - which was fantastic to travel with) using a cheapo cable release designed for a Canon (according to the pack).

Cheers
Mat W

My Flickr: link
ChrisA
Posted 24/10/2011 - 20:43 Link
I really like 2 and 9.

2 for the texture and colour - everywhere you look there's interest and detail.

9 for the minimalism. The beach line - with the parallel gentle wave - takes my eye out to the distance, and the horizon continues around. Then, where normally a great expanse of flat sea can look very dull and featureless, between the angle formed by the beach and the horizon, the subtle gradation in colour brings my eye right back to the foreground. Very satisfying.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Edited by ChrisA: 24/10/2011 - 20:45
japers45
Posted 24/10/2011 - 23:18 Link
Some lovely ones here and very colourful - however #1 is bonkers! and not in a good way

conversely i like 8 a lot , probably clone the dust bunny just below the horizon LHS.

If The bible were illustrated these would be in Genesis. (apart from #1 which belongs in Revelations!)
Pentaxophile
Posted 25/10/2011 - 08:11 Link
All wonderful, but I like no. 7 the most, closely followed by no. 8 - beautiful subtle colours and tones. Only thing that lets no. 8 down (slightly) is the band of exposed sand at the bottom, which I want to be a uniform width! OCD
Edited by Pentaxophile: 25/10/2011 - 08:12
jeeess1967
Posted 25/10/2011 - 09:31 Link
nice set....regards jeeess
K-5, K-7 and K10D, Pentax 18-135 WR,18-55 WR,Pentax 28-105,Sigma 28-300, Sigma 28-80 (Macro) and Pentax 50-200 WR.
Eagle12
Posted 25/10/2011 - 11:52 Link
Beautiful pictures, I like them all except no:1. It looks errm! Not quite right. Not to my taste at all.
Stuey
Posted 25/10/2011 - 19:47 Link
4 is my favourite

I like all of them but 4 stands out for me.
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Edited by Stuey: 25/10/2011 - 19:47
matwhittington
Posted 28/10/2011 - 06:24 Link
Many thanks everyone for the comments. Much appreciated.

Regards
Mat W

My Flickr: link
Frogfish
Posted 28/10/2011 - 10:55 Link
A lovely set indeed !

I really like #2 but would have liked it much more if you have made a pano of that sky whilst there ! #8 looks very serene and attractive because of that.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
matwhittington
Posted 28/10/2011 - 20:59 Link
Thanks Frogfish! here is a shot I took a little earlier than No 2, on the same day...

Comment Image


I think it has a little distortion which I should probably sort out, but is a landscape version...

Cheers
Mat W

My Flickr: link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo