backup software

bladerunneruk

Link Posted 17/02/2013 - 16:46
Hi folks
can anyone recommend backup software please....

I have Windows XP PC, which I will replace with a windows 7 pc shortly (self build)
The XP PC has a two 500Gb HDD in mirrored raid and two 1TB HDD in mirrorer raid.

I want to backup all my files from internal HDDs (not the system drive) to an external one I'm about to buy. Then I want to plug the external drive into my new PC and use it as a backup drive.

I would something which will do an auto backup at an interval I define and also the facility to backup al my software from the system drive.

I don't want cloud backups, facility to backup laptop across wireless network could be useful.

I've been looking at acronis true image, paragon backup and recovery free, and easeus todo backup free. Not sure what best suits my needs.

Any recommendations ?

thanks for looking

cheers

Richard

wvbarnes

Link Posted 17/02/2013 - 16:59
Windows 8 now has an excellent facility called 'File history' which backs up in range from every ten minutes to daily and has individual files immediately available in the back up device rather than a compressed total restore as in the past. I think it's excellent as is Windows 8 now I'm used to it.

woodworm

Link Posted 17/02/2013 - 17:50
If you haven't yet bought your external disk drives it may be worth considering a NAS. I have a Synology which sits on my network sharing out all files and I can plug a USB hard disk into that and it performs it's own scheduled backups.

Usually most USB drives come with some sort of backup software but I don't use any of them. The only additional software I use is robocopy and I have a handful of scripts to make various duplicates ....

steven9761

Link Posted 17/02/2013 - 17:59
I use Nero Back It Up 4.

bladerunneruk

Link Posted 17/02/2013 - 19:46
woodworm wrote:
If you haven't yet bought your external disk drives it may be worth considering a NAS. I have a Synology which sits on my network sharing out all files and I can plug a USB hard disk into that and it performs it's own scheduled backups.

Usually most USB drives come with some sort of backup software but I don't use any of them. The only additional software I use is robocopy and I have a handful of scripts to make various duplicates ....

Hi woodworm, thanks for your thoughts, I'll look into robocopy.

I've heard synology NAS have a good reputation, although they looked a bit more expensive than others last time I looked and you don't seem to get much storage for the money. (I'm planning on buying one of these http://www.ebuyer.com/384256-seagate-3tb-expansion-desktop-hard-drive-stbv3000200)

Secondly I've read that NAS are good at streaming, but can cause performance bottlenecks if used for digital asset management where typically you're accessing lots of small files.

So currently plan A is to continue to use internal HDD for photo editing and storage and prefer to backup those to an dedicated external drive. Any flaws in plan A, especially as it will be cheaper ?

cabstar

Link Posted 17/02/2013 - 20:06
I have a NAS and it s so slow, your correct in that it does cause a bottleneck, particularly on network traffic. I use a USB 3.0 external drive for back ip now, so much quicker than using network or USB 2 devices.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

woodworm

Link Posted 17/02/2013 - 21:16
I haven't experienced any performance issues with my NAS, though with my workflow I tend to download images from the SDHC card to an internal SSD, work on the files there and when I'm finished editing I move the folder to the NAS so it's only when I come back to images I access them over the network.

edit - obviously USB 3 is quicker, I just mean I don't see the issue as I don't watch my PC copying files to the NAS as that's at the end of my workflow and the benefits of a NAS over locally attached storage are of much more value to me.

bladerunneruk - no flaws with plan A and the drive you linked to is as good as any. I'm sure there are better tools than robocopy (it's been around since NT days and hasn't changed), it's just what I'm comfortable with. I think the backup software built into Windows (especially in Win 7 and is fine and will do exactly what you want.
Last Edited by woodworm on 17/02/2013 - 21:26

Mannesty

Link Posted 17/02/2013 - 22:28
FreeFileSynch is very versatile, I use it on a daily basis.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

cabstar

Link Posted 17/02/2013 - 23:16
woodworm wrote:
I haven't experienced any performance issues with my NAS, though with my workflow I tend to download images from the SDHC card to an internal SSD, work on the files there and when I'm finished editing I move the folder to the NAS so it's only when I come back to images I access them over the network.

edit - obviously USB 3 is quicker, I just mean I don't see the issue as I don't watch my PC copying files to the NAS as that's at the end of my workflow and the benefits of a NAS over locally attached storage are of much more value to me.

bladerunneruk - no flaws with plan A and the drive you linked to is as good as any. I'm sure there are better tools than robocopy (it's been around since NT days and hasn't changed), it's just what I'm comfortable with. I think the backup software built into Windows (especially in Win 7 and is fine and will do exactly what you want.

When backing up to NAS huge files takes time which, causes network slow down, which in my case affects my gaming and or sky diwnloading speeds. Like you i dont sit there and watch back ups in progress, but do tend to game or watch sky
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

nass

Link Posted 17/02/2013 - 23:23
I have a Western Digital Nas (network attached storage), a MyBook Live. It is attached to my BT HomeHub and I run a proggie called SmartWare which backs up all the PC devices on the home network (3) and attached drives (1) in the background. Now that it's done all the initial backups it's just doing the delta and I don't notice it at all. This thing comes with internet access and I have a bunch of shares on there. In other words at work if I want to drop a bunch of files into my home network I get the web address and shove it in.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

Sean282

Link Posted 18/02/2013 - 11:22
Important consideration is getting the backup storage out of the reach of burglars

endure

Link Posted 18/02/2013 - 18:55
I use Cobian back-up. It's free and quite versatile. You can do compressed or non backups and multiple versions of the same back-up. Worth a look.

McGregNi

Link Posted 18/02/2013 - 18:55
I use O & O Disc Image Pro (latest version is 7). This has the advantage of offering 'Incremental' disc imaging, so after the initial image is created (can be of any drive - external or internal), subsequent backups can be only incrementally on the changes.

In the case of needing a restore the program sort of merges all the incremental backups with the original to produce a full restore of the drive in its latest state.

Also you have 'Machine Independant Imaging', meaning disc images can be restored to entirely new hardware in the case of full malfunction.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

bladerunneruk

Link Posted 19/02/2013 - 21:55
steven9761 wrote:
I use Nero Back It Up 4.

Thanks for the suggestion, current version is back it up 12 around 25. Seems to cover the data backup needs pretty well functionality wise - incremental and scheduled. The pain I will have is moving all the programs from xp to win7, think I'll just have to do a full reinstall for those. Starting to think I will need a system disk backup program for the new win7 machine.

bladerunneruk

Link Posted 19/02/2013 - 22:01
Mannesty wrote:
FreeFileSynch is very versatile, I use it on a daily basis.

Thanks for the suggestion mannesty, will have a look.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.