Backing up photos whilst travelling - aka which tablet/OS do you use?

johnieutah

Link Posted 29/06/2015 - 21:11
Hey everyone.

I'm going to be taking the trans-Siberian in August travelling through Russia, Mongolia and China over an 8 week period. I've never been away for this long before and am thinking I should buy a tablet to do back-ups whilst under away. Also I will have quite a bit of time on my hands, so I would like to watch films, check email etc...

A few years ago I lugged an old laptop around Thailand and it got too much, plus the battery life was terrible! I would prefer something thin and light, hence why a tablet would be preferable. Also, it'll probably get thrown around in my back-pack, so I would not want to take something too expensive such as a Surface 3.

I am interested to hear what people are using in these situations.

My thoughts:
Ipad: loads of apps, decent battery life, pig to get files on to and off it, expensive (for 64/128GB)
Android tablets: decent apps, good battery life, can use OTG cables, but which one exactly??
Windows tablets: terrible app selection (for modern apps), battery life not as great as the other 2, great support for reading and writing to a variety of media, loads of desktop apps (LR, PS etc... but am I going to be using that on an 8 - 10" display??)

Thanks!

Read more: http://forums.thedigitalfix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632933#ixzz3eU1gy0S6

spinno

Link Posted 29/06/2015 - 21:18
Chromebook and hard drive? That's what I do.
David

Gwyn

Link Posted 29/06/2015 - 21:24
I bought myself a Lenovo Yoga 3 11.6" for my travels. It is a Win 8.1 (soon to be Win 10) machine. I am very happy with it. I take a small hard drive along too, and copy the photos across to that as an extra back-up.
It is very light, and can be used either as a laptop, a tablet or in tent mode for watching films, playing games etc.

I I could have afforded one I might have gone for a Surface 3.

His Nibs has a Samsung tablet, but he uses my computer for photo storage and back-up.

Mag07

Link Posted 30/06/2015 - 01:02
Phone for email etc, and few sd cards. Ipads are lovely, but if shooting raw, you can just about fit 1-2 days worth of pics on the lower priced versions; unless you're doing jpgs only, it won't be much of a backup solution on it's own.

SD cards are cheap nowadays, 32Gigs from a decent company for 10 quid, you can just keep on swapping them out, doing nothing but per-eliminary clean up every evening removing those shots that won't even stand a chance developed from RAW

If you'd still rather go for a tablet, any android based with sd card slot that allows for expanded storage will do the trick for backup. That includes supermarket grade tabs. They work just fine and cost peanuts though stylish they are not.

If you'd like to preview your work on a decent screen then your choices are more limited and pricier.

It really is a matter of personal preference.

On a budget I'd grab a Google Nexus (either by Samsung or Asus) - 7 inch so light, decent display and battery, well priced. It does not have an sd card slot, but it's possible to buy an sd card reader that's compatible, so for a total of GBP 200 you have a tablet, a bunch of sd cards and a way to review your pics comfortably.

If you can spend more, A Sony Xperia Z3, 8 inch, is lovely and has a micro sd card slot (up to 128Gigs). You'd still need to buy a card reader for it unless you have a FluCard. It looks good, it's durable, has a great display and you can take a bath with it should you fancy The price and quality is that of an Ipad, however expandable storage, beats it hands down.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

johnieutah

Link Posted 30/06/2015 - 12:29
Good suggestions, keep em coming

I have had my eye on a Sony Z3 tablet, they really are lovely aren't they. I'm just wondering how you would go about backing up SD cards. You'd need to copy everything to internal storage first right?

Flucards look great, but I don't think it will work with my K5-II unforfunately

MattMatic

Link Posted 30/06/2015 - 12:37
Quote:

It will work, as would an EyeFi, but personally I wouldn't go that route for backing up. They are meant for transferring small-sized images (for emailing etc).
Transferring a large JPG or a RAW is aaaachingly slow.

Personally I'd get enough SD cards (personally I'd go for the Samsung Extreme series) to cover the whole trip, and consider an external SD-to-HDD unit. I believe there are some that support WiFi ad-hoc networking so you can browse them with a tablet.

There's probably a Raspberry Pi project that does just the job

EDIT: This article is helpful and references the Western Digital My Passport Wireless which includes WiFi and a built in SD card reader for computer-less backup

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 30/06/2015 - 12:39

Mag07

Link Posted 30/06/2015 - 12:48
johnieutah wrote:
Good suggestions, keep em coming

I have had my eye on a Sony Z3 tablet, they really are lovely aren't they. I'm just wondering how you would go about backing up SD cards. You'd need to copy everything to internal storage first right?

You could just buy a cable/adapter like any of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords... that allows you to hook up almost any sd card reader to your tablet . Now, some 'no name' card readers can be stroppy with tablets, so its a good idea to check the setup to make sure everything works, or browse through some reviews on Amazon/ask questions before spending money and an adapter/sdcard reader combo. If you already have a card reader than all you need is the adapter.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

Gwyn

Link Posted 30/06/2015 - 15:06
If you are going the tablet route then just take more than enough SD cards to cover the trip. I can't see any point in transferring photos from one SD card to another (micro) SD card.
Afaik tablets don't generally like external hard drives attached to them.

It really depends on what you want from the machine, how light you want to travel etc.

duster

Link Posted 30/06/2015 - 15:19
Unless you want a tablet for some other reason (films) and even then, I'd stick with lots of SD cards. Minimal space and weight, no hassle with copying and you could (with a K3) duplicate every shot and store them separately. I don't think there is a tablet made that could compete on storage capacity and convenience per with cards.

johnriley

Link Posted 30/06/2015 - 15:20
I would also suggest taking a good supply of SD cards. If the chance arose to take a laptop, they could be backed up to this. Otherwise, just keep the cards secure. It's more convenient than taking hundreds of exposed films home used to be, and safer.
Best regards, John

Mag07

Link Posted 30/06/2015 - 15:51
For me the point is to be able to view/asses images on a good screen. Unless you're an awesome pro, chances are, some photos are keepers but a lot are not. I find myself shooting with the 'trial and error' approach a lot when it comes to ideal exposure.

Establishing a comfy work flow as you go saves time and headache of going through millions all at ones when you get back from a trip. It's usually hard to judge a photograph just by looking at it at on an lcd screen of your camera.

I like being able to pop it on my tablet at the end of the day. Share some with family and friends online, delete those that are just beyond embarrassing and simply waste of space, have a laugh at the captured moment while sipping the drink; have someone else look and give some c&c and tips for making it better should I be in a position to go back and re-take.

Granted, it may all be down to my not so great eye-sight. Can see bugger all on those lil camera screens, especially during the day
Last Edited by Mag07 on 30/06/2015 - 15:52

50mpCMOS

Link Posted 30/06/2015 - 19:31
Quote:
battery life not as great as the other 2

Microsoft Surface better priced and speced out than any Ipad, all of them have better battery life than any current iPad, even the most modern Surface Pro with an Intel I7 chip has better battery life than any Ipad

johnha

Link Posted 30/06/2015 - 23:25
Whether you'd like a tablet is one thing, for digital storage I'd use SD cards exclusively (I only buy Sandisk as I've never lost an image in 15yrs of using their CF & SD cards). As I'm a film shooter, for a 'trip of the lifetime' I'd take a couple of Pentax 6x7's and put up with the weight penalty - although 35mm is much more compact.
PPG Flickr

Daronl

Link Posted 01/07/2015 - 05:38
Regularly away for up to a mobth at a time; Ipad plus the photo uploader and dropbox , faultless.
Editing on the hoof ; Snapseed.
Back stop "my memory" 64gb Sd x2 in second card slot if using a K3 body.
I have also carried a solar charger for the Ipad but rarely need it as my Ipad batterry doesn't ever seem to let me down.
Get rid of " non- keepers" at the end of each day.
Daronl

Daronl

Link Posted 01/07/2015 - 05:42
Regularly away for up to a month at a time; Ipad plus the photo uploader and dropbox , faultless.

Some other points:
1. Editing on the hoof ; Snapseed.
2. Back stop 64gb Sd x2 in second card slot if using a K3 body.
3. I have also carried a small solar charger for the Ipad but rarely need it
as my Ipad batterry doesn't ever seem to let me down contrary to
previous comments above.
4. Get rid of " non- keepers" at the end of each day.
Daronl
Last Edited by Daronl on 01/07/2015 - 09:52
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.