Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Back to basics

aminstar
Posted 03/10/2009 - 08:29 Link
I am stepping back in time so I need some help please.
I have decided to start shooting film with an MZ-30 and obviously use my cherished 100mm Macro with it. My question is, how can I digitalise the images? Because the prints are no use to me as they are, and I did not want to have to invest in any extra equipment etc. What do people do after the film is developed? Is it cost effective to get them digitalised in the shops etc?

And what films do I use which are more convenient for this purpose?

Thanks

Amin
Hardgravity
Posted 03/10/2009 - 08:46 Link
Most stores will do a CD at the time of developing, for a small extra charge.

I usually get the cheapest matt finish prints and scan them using an ordinary flat bed scanner.Here's a sample scanned image

It all depends how tight you are with the cash!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
K10D
Posted 03/10/2009 - 08:51 Link
Hmmm. Million $ questions.

My input:

1) Consider slide film over neg's. Colours are often better.
2) I prefer Fuji slide and neg films.
3) Choose a lab that can offer good scans at the highest level.

Do the math. Cost of scanner plus many hours work scanning against paying for good scans to DVD or, some places will put to your 2.5" HDD if you cover postage.

Regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
aminstar
Posted 03/10/2009 - 08:53 Link
Hardgravity wrote:
Most stores will do a CD at the time of developing, for a small extra charge.

I usually get the cheapest matt finish prints and scan them using an ordinary flat bed scanner.Here's a sample scanned image

It all depends how tight you are with the cash!

That's great, thanks. I have a standard flat bad scanner so I guess I can consider that option too.
My next question is, will the quality of the CD that the store give me already digitalised along with the prints be better or equal compared to the ones I scan myself? My scanner is a pretty standard brother multi function one.

Another question, I would want to crop the digital images so I am assuming I will be able to at least crop but ideally do some basic editing as well in PS etc to the digital images I get on the CD.

And I am tight with cash but not that tight , would want to get the best out of it
aminstar
Posted 03/10/2009 - 08:57 Link
K10D wrote:

My input:

Do the math. Cost of scanner plus many hours work scanning against paying for good scans to DVD or, some places will put to your 2.5" HDD if you cover postage.

Regards

Thanks k10 , definitely leaning towards having them scanned and readily dispatched than doing it myself. I am too lazy for that

So Fuji slide it is. Any idea how much roughly does it cost to have it developed and put in a DVD?

Sorry so many questions
PeteL
Posted 03/10/2009 - 09:06 Link
Before i bought my first Digital Camera i used to Scan my Negs and Transparencies using a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III. You could crop, and edit the image for brightness, colour balance etc before actually making a final scan, they still pop up on E-Bay occasionally, I saw one go for around £50 but more usually around £100.

Regards - Pete
Hardgravity
Posted 03/10/2009 - 09:06 Link
I seem to recall slide film includes developing in the original cost, I could be wrong but some body will let us know.Link to jessops Fuji slide film for your information

I only use film because I got a load cheap on ebay, and It's easier to scan, the linked image was taken with out of date Jessops ASA200 film. I have adjusted scanned prints in Elements 4 with no bother, after all they're just a JPEG file!

Slide quality is much better. Whether that will show on a CD form developers I don't know.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Edited by Hardgravity: 03/10/2009 - 09:11
Snootchies
Posted 03/10/2009 - 09:25 Link
Amin, i'd also try a few different places - shop around as they do differ in quality a great deal.

After taking shots with my MZ-60 and DA*50-135 (work very well together), I experimented with Asda's 1 hour service and Boot's service where they are sent off. I was bitterly dissapointed with Asda, but the Boots service (not their 1 hour service) was by far the better of the two I had gone to, both in prints and scans:

Comment Image

The Boots store is in the next village to me, so highly convenient and I have'nt felt the desire to look elsewhere - though I am told Snappy Snaps is excellent and has won awards, but I dont go into Chester that often where my nearest store is.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
Edited by Snootchies: 03/10/2009 - 09:25
K10D
Posted 03/10/2009 - 09:31 Link
aminstar wrote:
K10D wrote:

My input:

Regards

Thanks k10 , definitely leaning towards having them scanned and readily dispatched than doing it myself. I am too lazy for that

So Fuji slide it is. Any idea how much roughly does it cost to have it developed and put in a DVD?

Sorry so many questions

You can see all options and prices herelink

Since you said MACRO, I doubt you can retain resolution with scans from prints??

Regards
Edited by K10D: 03/10/2009 - 09:33
aminstar
Posted 03/10/2009 - 10:18 Link
K10D wrote:

Since you said MACRO, I doubt you can retain resolution with scans from prints??

Regards

Thanks for the prices. Very informative.
So let me get this clear, ideally for Macro shots I should opt for Scan slides into CD and that price is £0.50 per slide between 1 to 99 images which would be 14MB resolution.

Thanks
aminstar
Posted 03/10/2009 - 10:21 Link
Bob, that image came out pretty stunning. Love the multicolour dress your little one has. And now you really are enticing me with the bug to go out shooting film with my DA*50-135, .
chrissinkpen
Posted 03/10/2009 - 10:28 Link
Aminster, I'm curious why do you want to shoot film?

Your gallery shots are stunning after all.

Chris

K200D, MZ30.
K10D
Posted 03/10/2009 - 10:45 Link
aminstar wrote:
K10D wrote:

Regards

Thanks for the prices. Very informative.
So let me get this clear, ideally for Macro shots I should opt for Scan slides into CD and that price is £0.50 per slide between 1 to 99 images which would be 14MB resolution.

Thanks

Resolution of slide or print can be identicle. Colour saturation is often better on slide film.

Is there a reason you want to use film (the only true RAW) Macro over Digital Macro?

Regards
aminstar
Posted 03/10/2009 - 10:50 Link
chrissinkpen wrote:

Chris

K200D, MZ30.

Thank you Chris that's very kind of you.
I am getting rid of all my Pentax digital gear except my 100mm Macro lens.
I am a perfectionist by nature , and it has been suggested here in this forum by many highly skilled and experienced members that I respect a lot, that using film helps to sharpen the skills, including some go further and say, and I quote "Everybody should have to do 6 months on film before being let loose with a digital body", so I am giving it a go. Besides I have never done film with an SLR camera so it will be interesting to go down that route. I love experimenting and nothing entices me so much as exploring new aspects of something that I like so much as photography.
Also you will see that many members here shoot both, digital and film too. Got to get that side of me developed, excuse the pun
K10D
Posted 03/10/2009 - 10:54 Link
aminstar wrote:
chrissinkpen wrote:

Chris

K200D, MZ30.

Thank you Chris that's very kind of you.
I am getting rid of all my Pentax digital gear except my 100mm Macro lens.
I am a perfectionist by nature , and it has been suggested here in this forum by many highly skilled and experienced members that I respect a lot, that using film helps to sharpen the skills, including some go further and say, and I quote "Everybody should have to do 6 months on film before being let loose with a digital body", so I am giving it a go. Besides I have never done film with an SLR camera so it will be interesting to go down that route. I love experimenting and nothing entices me so much as exploring new aspects of something that I like so much as photography.
Also you will see that many members here shoot both, digital and film too. Got to get that side of me developed, excuse the pun

GULP! I am stunned by your commitment!!!

I use both film and digital.

Regards

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.