Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Back button focusing

RobL
Posted 02/10/2016 - 00:08 Link
This is my preferred option for wildlife, with the focus action on the shutter button disabled. If I have one criticism it is that the back button on Pentax is a bit small, but with the FA150-450 lens the lens-mounted focus buttons are favourite. However I have found a snag (isn't there always one?); the other day I was trying to photograph a jay in a tree and as they are so shy I was being really patient, until I finally got a clear line of sight through the foliage. Pressed the lens focus button - nothing happened. Baffled at first I finally realised that the body had gone into sleep mode on which the lens focus button has no effect, by which time the bird had flown.
DOIK
Posted 02/10/2016 - 08:25 Link
Just a touch on the shutter release button wakes the body. I always use two bodies, you just get into the habit of touching the shutter release button to make them ready.
John
Simonmac
Posted 02/10/2016 - 09:32 Link
You can set the time for auto power off in the menu, and there is the option to turn it off completely.
Would this do away with the need to activate the body via the shutter button?

Cheers

Simon
DOIK wrote:
Just a touch on the shutter release button wakes the body. I always use two bodies, you just get into the habit of touching the shutter release button to make them ready.
John

macmccreery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/simac/
www.500px.com/simac
davidwozhere
Posted 02/10/2016 - 23:11 Link
It should do but with all the electronics now running constantly, there would be extra battery drain. There is also the need to keep the processor cool and cameras don't have cooling fans! I agree about the annoyance: you wait ages for an insect to move to the right place and ........... the blasted thing has gone to sleep.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
davidstorm
Posted 03/10/2016 - 00:05 Link
I've always used back button focussing and would never revert to the shutter button now. The back button just offers so much more control and flexibility, especially when you need to hit the shutter button at the right moment to get the shot, without worrying about what the AF is doing. I find this invaluable on Festival / Gig shoots.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Edited by davidstorm: 03/10/2016 - 00:06
Stridey
Posted 03/10/2016 - 19:12 Link
davidstorm wrote:
I've always used back button focussing and would never revert to the shutter button now. The back button just offers so much more control and flexibility, especially when you need to hit the shutter button at the right moment to get the shot, without worrying about what the AF is doing. I find this invaluable on Festival / Gig shoots.

Regards
David

I have used back button focussing ever since David recommended it in a post many moons ago ! I wouldn't go back to shutter button focussing - back button is so much more flexible and you know what you will be getting focus-wise when you press the shutter.
redbusa99
Posted 03/10/2016 - 23:51 Link
i use back button and do prefer it but for CIF use "shutter button half press" for af must be on
odd lens or 2

Flickr
cardiffgareth
Posted 05/10/2016 - 09:28 Link
I'm also a back button user, used this way for years now. So much better, who cares what the AF is doing, when I want to take the picture there is no delay.

Options for camera going to sleep either are periodical pressing the AF button slightly to awaken the camera or change the settings in the menu. I think by default it's set to 30 seconds. I have changed mine to 5 minutes before sleep
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
davidwozhere
Posted 06/10/2016 - 00:56 Link
"I have changed mine to 5 minutes before sleep"

I've been thinking about doing this. How much impact does it have on the battery?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
johnriley
Posted 06/10/2016 - 07:24 Link
Our cameras don't sleep until 30 minutes is up. The battery life isn't a problem.
Best regards, John
cardiffgareth
Posted 06/10/2016 - 08:22 Link
As John says, battery life isn't affected, camera in standby doesn't use a lot of power
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.