b+w low light photography
Posted 12/05/2004 - 23:25
Link
I personally would choose to use fine grain ISO 400 Film such as Ilford Delta and a large flashgun.
Stages can be very contrasty with the lighting. Stage lighting can produce burned out highlights and deep shadows. Also many stages and theatres do not have low white ceilings to bounce the light around. Unless you are trying to get atmospheric theatre shots, I would use a large flashgun.
Stages can be very contrasty with the lighting. Stage lighting can produce burned out highlights and deep shadows. Also many stages and theatres do not have low white ceilings to bounce the light around. Unless you are trying to get atmospheric theatre shots, I would use a large flashgun.
Posted 13/05/2004 - 13:13
Link
Hi,
There was a thread on this in the general forum a couple of weks ago. To save you looking, I'll paste my comments here.
Many years ago, I used to be involved in theatrical lighting for amateur productions. As part of that I used to produce photos for the cast. I tended to avoid flash. It's OK for getting posed shots when you are reasonably close but even then you need a powerful gun, at least guide number 40 at 100ASA! For shots during the dress rehearsal, I found 400 ASA was fine with a F2.8 prime lens on a tripod. I generally used a K series 135/2.5 from about a 1/3 of the way back in the auditorium or a 200/2.5 from about 2/3 back. A lot will depend on the quality and quantity of the lights. Most of the productions I was involved in were "villiage hall" sized and the normal light setup was about 16-20Kw. Profesional productions will be using about 200Kw or more.
I would start by using 400ASA. Check the light levels and if necessary push this to 800ASA. See if you can use a tripod setup and avoid Zoom lenses. I would also recommend manual focus.
Regards
Kim
There was a thread on this in the general forum a couple of weks ago. To save you looking, I'll paste my comments here.
Many years ago, I used to be involved in theatrical lighting for amateur productions. As part of that I used to produce photos for the cast. I tended to avoid flash. It's OK for getting posed shots when you are reasonably close but even then you need a powerful gun, at least guide number 40 at 100ASA! For shots during the dress rehearsal, I found 400 ASA was fine with a F2.8 prime lens on a tripod. I generally used a K series 135/2.5 from about a 1/3 of the way back in the auditorium or a 200/2.5 from about 2/3 back. A lot will depend on the quality and quantity of the lights. Most of the productions I was involved in were "villiage hall" sized and the normal light setup was about 16-20Kw. Profesional productions will be using about 200Kw or more.
I would start by using 400ASA. Check the light levels and if necessary push this to 800ASA. See if you can use a tripod setup and avoid Zoom lenses. I would also recommend manual focus.
Regards
Kim
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2277 posts
24 years