Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

B&W Again again

Daniel Bridge
Posted 05/06/2007 - 09:57 Link
Saw Brian's photo and thought "Exactly the opposite of my shot of Ray", so here it is:

Comment Image

K10D, SMC-A 50mm f/1.7, 1/60s @ F/2, ISO800.

Don't do much in the way of portraits, but I have to say an evening out, using this combo, did make me get a twitchy finger on the SRS website when I looked at the FA 50mm f/1.4. Should I...?

Dan
Tyr
Posted 05/06/2007 - 11:06 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
I have to say an evening out, using this combo, did make me get a twitchy finger on the SRS website when I looked at the FA 50mm f/1.4. Should I...?

Dan

I'm feeling exactly the same, just can't really work as well with the lack of autofocus. I'm sorely tempted but there is going to be an DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM, unfortunately no clue when. Secondly I really want some sharper and faster zooms so the DA*s are calling to me and saying don't get anything else. I've just got my K10D and have already doubles by list of lenses to get for it.
McBrian
Posted 05/06/2007 - 12:36 Link
I would be a very happy man Daniel if that shot was one of mine
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Daniel Bridge
Posted 05/06/2007 - 13:01 Link
...and likewise with yours Brian. I was struck by the contrasts between the two - high/low key, light/dark background, smooth/rugged complexion, etc. (Won't go into age, attractiveness... ).

Dan
Posted 05/06/2007 - 13:58 Link
really nice! and I agree about the autofocus 1.4, i am also tempted, and portraits are one of my main interests so i guess its when rather than if. I'm using an M series 1.4 at present, and its great but the auto focus would be nice!

quite low noise for iso800 too, how did you process it?
Daniel Bridge
Posted 05/06/2007 - 14:21 Link
thomastherhymer wrote:
quite low noise for iso800 too, how did you process it?

Just used Capture One, default noise reduction. To be honest though, the small size here helps hide a lot!

Sorry, that should have been "The K10D is superb at keeping noise down..." It's good, but if we were seeing noise on an image this size, imagine what it would be like as an A4 print.

Dan
Posted 05/06/2007 - 14:48 Link
doh, of course the small size hides it... now if that were a 100% crop the noise would be impressive!
Daniel Bridge
Posted 05/06/2007 - 15:15 Link
Reposted with sRGB profile. Any difference?

Comment Image

Dan
Daniel Bridge
Posted 05/06/2007 - 15:20 Link
Yes! Must get into the habit of sRGB for web.
Posted 05/06/2007 - 15:23 Link
yes it looks blue now. not sure i don't prefer it B&W tho...
Daniel Bridge
Posted 05/06/2007 - 15:37 Link
Just checked, first image (AdobeRGB) shows a blue tint on my PC (did 'print screen', pasted into PS and used the color picker. Second one is slightly more tinted, but more contrasty too.

I prefer the first one, and if it wasn't for you and your nit-picking, I'd have never started messing around with it!

Interesting though, as I know you're 'supposed' to use sRGB for the web, but I've always been happy with the way my pics have shown in AdobeRGB. Is there a vast difference between OS's and browsers? I'm using XP and ie7.

Dan
Tyr
Posted 05/06/2007 - 15:38 Link
I always export images as sRGB for using on the web as it is more likely that people will see the correct thing on all Browsers and OSs.
MattMatic
Posted 05/06/2007 - 15:49 Link
Quote:
Is there a vast difference between OS's and browsers? I'm using XP and ie7

Yup. Windoze doesn't do colour management
IE7, Firefox etc etc under Windows will always assume it's sRGB - even if there's a profile embedded.

The Mac is another thing

Hence, best to convert to sRGB and then use Save For Web within Photoshop

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 05/06/2007 - 16:08 Link
although the mac has colour management built into the OS, many apps don't seem to use it. As far as I can see most browsers etc still assume that its sRGB, even though the ability to read the profile is right there in the OS if they want to use it. hence Daniels adobe 98 profiled pic displaying less blue on my mac browser (safari)

maybe theres a way of turning on profiling somewhere..
Lilly
Posted 07/06/2007 - 15:05 Link
Very nice shot Daniel, love the way the eyes really draw you in...excellent mono study, I wd be well proud to call my own.

Got to get that lens, you are all going on about anyone know how much it will be?

To be honest I can't see much difference between te 2 shots, may be the first one is a little darker??? Can anyone explain what the difference sd be?
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.