Autumn scene ....advice sought
Posted 22/11/2013 - 13:22
Link
DaveKitson wrote:
I've been taking photographs for a long time and am usually (almost invariably) disappointed with the results.
... and think I'm a reasonable camera technician but a lousy photographer.
You're very much not alone!! I've felt the same, with rare exceptions, about my own photography for nearly 30 years.I've been taking photographs for a long time and am usually (almost invariably) disappointed with the results.
... and think I'm a reasonable camera technician but a lousy photographer.
In this case, I'd say that there's no particular subject. The foreground and background are both very leafy, giving an overall over-busy effect with nothing really to look at. In particular, when you try to look into the background, it's all more of the same.
Whereas when you're there, you can look around the scene and admire different aspects of it - much harder with a 2D representation.
If it's any consolation, I have hundreds of images like this. Nicely exposed, but otherwise forgettable.
Cut out clutter, is the only thing I'd say. Clutter distracts.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 22/11/2013 - 13:30
Link
Would this be a situation where, as I've heard some do, to use a telephoto lens within a landscape type shot? To look beyond the immediate foreground we can see here? There appears to be some nice reflections of trees from the far bank. In terms of cutting out clutter as ChrisA has mentioned?
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!
Posted 22/11/2013 - 14:01
Link
A quick edit. 
This is certainly not forgettable, firstly I would recrop at 16/9.
Then look at dynamic range to create more depth, this is a 'way above average' image. Let others class their work as forgettable.
With images like this, you don't need too. It may be classed as plain by some, but like all the great images, less is more

This is certainly not forgettable, firstly I would recrop at 16/9.
Then look at dynamic range to create more depth, this is a 'way above average' image. Let others class their work as forgettable.
With images like this, you don't need too. It may be classed as plain by some, but like all the great images, less is more
Posted 22/11/2013 - 16:20
Link
ChrisA wrote:
In this case, I'd say that there's no particular subject. The foreground and background are both very leafy, giving an overall over-busy effect with nothing really to look at. In particular, when you try to look into the background, it's all more of the same.
Whereas when you're there, you can look around the scene and admire different aspects of it - much harder with a 2D representation.
In this case, I'd say that there's no particular subject. The foreground and background are both very leafy, giving an overall over-busy effect with nothing really to look at. In particular, when you try to look into the background, it's all more of the same.
Whereas when you're there, you can look around the scene and admire different aspects of it - much harder with a 2D representation.
Jetsam1 wrote:
Would this be a situation where, as I've heard some do, to use a telephoto lens within a landscape type shot? To look beyond the immediate foreground we can see here? There appears to be some nice reflections of trees from the far bank. In terms of cutting out clutter as ChrisA has mentioned?
Would this be a situation where, as I've heard some do, to use a telephoto lens within a landscape type shot? To look beyond the immediate foreground we can see here? There appears to be some nice reflections of trees from the far bank. In terms of cutting out clutter as ChrisA has mentioned?
Glowingblue wrote:
A quick edit.

Firstly I would recrop at 16/9.
Then look at dynamic range to create more depth,
Guys,A quick edit.

Firstly I would recrop at 16/9.
Then look at dynamic range to create more depth,
Thanks for the feedback. These are exactly the sort of comments that I had hoped for, and have given me food for thought
Glowingblue, to be sure I understand, when you say "look at dynamic range" do you mean increase contrast?
dave k
My PBase: www.pbase.com/davekitson
Posted 22/11/2013 - 16:47
Link
DaveKitson wrote:
This is a shot from yesterday..
Looking through the viewfinder I was thinking wow! Reality is something less than that.
I'm reasonably thick-skinned and am looking for any constructive criticism.
How can I improve this shot? Is it even the right shot? or have I made as good a stab as could reasonably be expected of this scene.
davek
I think there is quite a difference between what the eye sees and what the camera sees.This is a shot from yesterday..
Looking through the viewfinder I was thinking wow! Reality is something less than that.
I'm reasonably thick-skinned and am looking for any constructive criticism.
How can I improve this shot? Is it even the right shot? or have I made as good a stab as could reasonably be expected of this scene.
davek
In my view less is almost always more, simplicity is often the key to a striking image. And for me that means a clear choice of subject and identifying the essence of a scene. A good composition needs somehwere for the eye to settle or a clear journey for the eye through a scene. A journey for an eye through the scene ending with a place to settle (ideally on one of the 'third' points) is going to work. Add magical lighting and I think that is a good recipe.
I think this is the wrong shot, it is a jumble but not in a pleasing, abstract way. There are a lot of shapes and textures and the light is somewhat harsh, with brightness in the sky (and its reflection) and shaded areas.
The essence of this scene to me is autumn colours reflected. The contrast to be provided by colour (blue/orange is good) and not by whites and blacks. So I would look to convey that idea in a simple way. Just a tree or a whole number of trees and their reflections. The sky has to be attractive: plain blue maybe best here, fluffy clouds OK, a stormy sky OK, but definitely not a flat, dead sky. A 50/50 ratio of sky and pond would be conventional and would work well.
Another way to approach it might be just a simple image of the reflection of a tree.
Posted 22/11/2013 - 16:50
Link
I think that the concept and exposure is good but IMHO could be improved by a slight change in position.
The natural 'horizon line' is the far bank of the water. By using the 'good old' rule of thirds I would suggest that if you had taken a lower position and placed this line 2/3 up the frame it would then use the water as a natural lead in.
It would also 'expand' the water in the lower frame acting as a 'subject'.
As you are looking 'through a gap' this might also work slightly better in 'portrait' which makes it slightly less 'busy'.

However I have many many images, like this that are okay but could just do with a little sprinkle of pixie dust to make them good. I just wish I had a bag of dust with me when I took them
The natural 'horizon line' is the far bank of the water. By using the 'good old' rule of thirds I would suggest that if you had taken a lower position and placed this line 2/3 up the frame it would then use the water as a natural lead in.
It would also 'expand' the water in the lower frame acting as a 'subject'.
As you are looking 'through a gap' this might also work slightly better in 'portrait' which makes it slightly less 'busy'.

However I have many many images, like this that are okay but could just do with a little sprinkle of pixie dust to make them good. I just wish I had a bag of dust with me when I took them
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"
Posted 22/11/2013 - 16:59
Link
I like the layering effect you've got resulting from the different position and shades of the leaves. I quite like the framing effect. But the main problem for me arises from this - what it's framing just isn't compelling enough and is overpowered by the f/g (partly because you've probably(?) used a wide focal length - at a guess). Also the rather dark branches in the TLC aren't very attractive.
Posted 22/11/2013 - 17:15
Link
I too like the framing and 'layering' as Dr Mhuni said - my main suggestion for composition would be lower viewpoint so we feel up close and personal to the water and some leaves floating on it, and maybe a tilt to the right slightly as the horizon looks a bit off.
But also, nothing seems absolutely sharp and crisp. Its a tricky kind of shot to grab handheld as light levels are not all that bright, and you need a fairly small aperture. I think the only way to be sure of getting it really sharp is to use a tripod (which often helps composition too), focus about a third into the scene (approx hyperfocal distance) and set around about f11 or f16 to ensure all elements are reasonably sharp.
But also, nothing seems absolutely sharp and crisp. Its a tricky kind of shot to grab handheld as light levels are not all that bright, and you need a fairly small aperture. I think the only way to be sure of getting it really sharp is to use a tripod (which often helps composition too), focus about a third into the scene (approx hyperfocal distance) and set around about f11 or f16 to ensure all elements are reasonably sharp.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 22/11/2013 - 18:16
Link
You have done one very good thing with your image - the framing in the foreground is generally darker than the background, so our eye doesn't wander out of the image, rather it travels into it. So far so good.
I think some are feeling that, once drawn in like that, they are drawn to nothing particularly different. You could think about a focal point, maybe a bird on the water, or a boat.
But even as it is, the image is pleasant enough and well ordered enough and I personally like it.
I think some are feeling that, once drawn in like that, they are drawn to nothing particularly different. You could think about a focal point, maybe a bird on the water, or a boat.
But even as it is, the image is pleasant enough and well ordered enough and I personally like it.
Best regards, John
Posted 22/11/2013 - 18:45
Link
I also quite like the original image. It's not exceptional, but it's not bad either. Regarding the edits, I prefer the approach that Ralph has suggested to the one that Karl has, to me the portrait shot with less of the surrounding distractions is more successful for this particular image as it leads the eye in and through much better.
Regards
David
Regards
David
Posted 22/11/2013 - 19:31
Link
"In this case, I'd say that there's no particular subject." It's also quite hard to photograph woods: they're very "busy" and lack clear lines for composition. Some places/ scenes are lovely to witness in person but do not make good photographic subjects. Imagine the same scene with a Doric temple on the far side of the lake... as at Stourhead.
I've spent the last month busily deleting disappointing, lack-lustre shots from my hard drive... I'll never learn.
I've spent the last month busily deleting disappointing, lack-lustre shots from my hard drive... I'll never learn.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 22/11/2013 - 20:11
Link
I think you have already accepted your limitation. Technically good picture but aesthetically indifferent.
Loads of good advice on here but I'm going to skip to my own immediate thoughts so they are not corrupted by other views...
When you see a picture you like, try to concentrate on what made it so. I think you will eventually come to a common thread that will please you if you try to mimic that style of composition.
Imitation is the sincerest flattery
Loads of good advice on here but I'm going to skip to my own immediate thoughts so they are not corrupted by other views...
When you see a picture you like, try to concentrate on what made it so. I think you will eventually come to a common thread that will please you if you try to mimic that style of composition.
Imitation is the sincerest flattery
Steve
Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?
Posted 23/11/2013 - 11:20
Link
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions above.
I've got quite a bit from this.
dave k
I've got quite a bit from this.
dave k
My PBase: www.pbase.com/davekitson
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


275 posts
17 years
Lichfield,
UK
I'm 10 years retired from an exclusively technical career and think I'm a reasonable camera technician but a lousy photographer.
I've read books, trawled the web etc. but have decided to put a few images up here to see if I can get more direct criticism of my efforts.
This is a shot from yesterday..
Looking through the viewfinder I was thinking wow! Reality is something less than that.
I'm reasonably thick-skinned and am looking for any constructive criticism.
How can I improve this shot? Is it even the right shot? or have I made as good a stab as could reasonably be expected of this scene.
davek