Asahi Pentax S

Charley

Link Posted 29/03/2013 - 11:49
Here is my recently acquired Pentax S with Takumar 55mm f2.2 lens.

Also pictured with Takumar 35mm f4

Posssibly the best £39 i've ever spent on a camera

Horst

Link Posted 29/03/2013 - 12:20
The camera looks in fantastic condition, so do the lenses.
Good purchase.

Regards, Horst

gartmore

Link Posted 29/03/2013 - 14:45
Thats really beautiful
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Algernon

Link Posted 29/03/2013 - 15:02
Is that the New FF Digital

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 30/03/2013 - 11:09
This and the 'K'were two Asahi Pentax Cameras brought back from Singapore by one of the partners of Breda Studios, Barking, Essex when I worked with them in the 1960's and it got me into 'PENTAX' photography -- had a Zeiss Contax III with un-coated 50mm f1.5 Sonnar I had bought in Germnay from a Camera dealer who used to visit us in BMH Berlin when I was there in 1956 in the British Army -- it cost me £ 38-00. When I got into local Press work with Breda Studios who had the contract to supply all the photos for the Barking Advertiser whose office was in the same building as Breda and their darkroom, I was given a few Press jobs and was often cutting off the top of the head of the Mayor and VIP's as the Contax viewfinder was so SMALL and the lens suffered from flare - so when Clive Simpson showed me these weird cameras called 'ASAHI PENTAX' made in Japan with weird-sounding lenses called 'TAKUMARS' I saw the results -- much sharper and NO PARALLAX I was astounded ! One day an ASAHI PENTAX S3 appeared in the window of a local Barking Camera Dealer with a small crowd of Camera-Starved Brits pressing their noses to the glass of the window in awe -- remember there was 60% Purchase Tax and 40% Import Duty on Cameras at the time and imported cameras were strictly rationed to 'Professional People' such as Doctors. WEll - I rushed in and he made me an offer for the Contax £35-00
and I paid the rest of the £85-00 for the S3 ( a HUGE amount ! ) and rushed out the proud owner of a PENTAX !!
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

vjacesslav

Link Posted 30/03/2013 - 11:30
Beautiful camera

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 30/03/2013 - 11:39
Beautiful camera and well taken!
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

womble

Link Posted 30/03/2013 - 11:53
Beautiful example of this lovely classic. I don't have anything quite this old from Pentax.

Peter... great story!

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

smc

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 21:02
Utterly gorgeaous. £39 for a piece art!

doingthebobs

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 22:52
Really nice. It looks lovely.

I keep looking out for an S but not found it yet.

Is it all working ok?
Bob

Charley

Link Posted 15/04/2013 - 20:23
thank you, it seems to be working fine - ive got a film in it at the moment...i'll post some pics

lxmike

Link Posted 19/03/2014 - 10:18
I could stare at its elegent beauty all day

ISO

Link Posted 19/03/2014 - 10:40
My first camera was a Kodak RetinaII – the one with the bellows and fantastic Zeiss lense. It was a ‘hand me down’ from my brother who bought it in Germany when he was in the RAF. My second was a ‘S’ which came exactly the same way ! I had it for ages but can’t remember what happened to it. If only one knew what one knows now
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.