Armenia - Monasteries, Mountains...

chaude

Link Posted 30/03/2014 - 18:10
So, took a fisheye lens, 20-40mm ltd and the 70mm ltd with a K5 to Armenia, and came back with a few photos
On my previous travels I have always used the 31m as my main lens but decided that the 20-40mm would offer the flexibility I need, whilst still retaining plenty of quality. So, it did deliver the flexibility, and certainly delivered the quality, but by all means, I wouldn't have to think one second to say I by far prefer the 31mm's image quality. Though really, the tradeoff in quality for flexibility was essential, so, not a bad choice to take the 20-40! I guess everyone looking at this would be able to tell what's from a fisheye (even post defishing) and what's from a prime, what's not those two will be the 20-40, so, see what you think!

Republic Square, Yerevan

Tatev Monastery

Khachkars of Noratus

Makaravank Monastery

Frescoes of Akhtala Monastery

Mount Ararat over the Turkish Border

Pagan temple in Geghard Monastery

An experiment of the HDR plugin in Aperture, Geghard Monastery

Yerevan, at night

Enjoy and scrutinise!

bjolester

Link Posted 30/03/2014 - 18:17
Fantastic set! I like no 4 especially well, and no 6 (Mount Ararat over the Turkish Border) is IMHO a stunner!

Regards
Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

CMW

Link Posted 30/03/2014 - 18:39
A good bunch. Mount Ararat is outstanding.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

swarf

Link Posted 30/03/2014 - 18:50
CMW wrote:

+1

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

tomh1982

Link Posted 30/03/2014 - 20:08
swarf wrote:
CMW wrote:

+1

Phil

Outstanding shot!

MattyH

Link Posted 30/03/2014 - 20:37
tomh1982 wrote:
swarf wrote:
Quote:

+1

Phil

Outstanding shot!

Fantastic, This set of photos is some of the best I have seen. Thank you for sharing this part of the world with us.
Last Edited by MattyH on 30/03/2014 - 20:40

Steep

Link Posted 30/03/2014 - 20:42
Like the others I think Mount Ararat over the Turkish Border is just superb! I'm not sure the ultra wide angle did you any favours in some of the interiors though.

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 30/03/2014 - 22:39
Really unusual location and subject matter...loved them..Mt Ararat is breathtaking..should enter that in a competition. Thanks for posting them.

Karlo

Blythman

Link Posted 30/03/2014 - 22:44
While Mt Ararat is stunning, the light in #4 Makaravank Monastery is glorious,very well seen and executed
Alan

PPG
Flickr

davidstorm

Link Posted 30/03/2014 - 22:54
Some stunners in this set, especially 4 and 6. For me 6 is irresistible, a fantastic landscape image.

Regards
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Smeggypants

Link Posted 31/03/2014 - 00:26
4,6 and 7 here.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

gwing

Link Posted 31/03/2014 - 04:22
Smeggypants wrote:
4,6 and 7 here.

As they stand my choice is the same as Smeggy's. I even like that shot of Makaravank Monastery despite me normally hating tone mapped stuff.

But with a bit of warm light on the foreground I suspect the second shot, of Tatev monastery, might be my favourite of them all.

chaude

Link Posted 31/03/2014 - 07:09
Thank you so much, never in my life was I expecting such positive words. The setting of most things were beautiful out there, and really no photo can do it justice. My personal favourite is actually the ones of Akhtala's frescoes, but mostly because I had the joy of walking a whole hour uphill with 15kg worth of baggage and those are probably the best preserved frescoes in the whole of Armenia, that are currently still within a monastery.

I quite like the Mt Ararat one too, but never thought it was THAT great...

Makaravank was actually famous for its carved windows, that let light in in such a fashion, I guess I was there at the right time.

Smeggy mentioned pic 7, that is actually a pagan temple, back from the very early days when the country first adopted christian as the nation religion, where there was still a certain blend of zoroasterids!

And to gwing, I also like the one of Tatev, but I am also guilty about the amount of processing I had to do to get it to this stage, it was in the middle of the day and I was more or less shooting directly into the light, but also from inside a cable car, so, wasn't ideal conditions and just about dodged the harsh alpine sun!

Thank you again people!

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 31/03/2014 - 07:35
An amazing place. Mountains and beautiful old buildings: my favourite things. The shot of the frescoes is my top shot.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Last Edited by bwlchmawr on 31/03/2014 - 07:36

gwing

Link Posted 31/03/2014 - 10:31
chaude wrote:
Thank you so much, never in my life was I expecting such positive words. The setting of most things were beautiful out there, and really no photo can do it justice. My personal favourite is actually the ones of Akhtala's frescoes, but mostly because I had the joy of walking a whole hour uphill with 15kg worth of baggage and those are probably the best preserved frescoes in the whole of Armenia, that are currently still within a monastery.

I quite like the Mt Ararat one too, but never thought it was THAT great...

Makaravank was actually famous for its carved windows, that let light in in such a fashion, I guess I was there at the right time.

Smeggy mentioned pic 7, that is actually a pagan temple, back from the very early days when the country first adopted christian as the nation religion, where there was still a certain blend of zoroasterids!

And to gwing, I also like the one of Tatev, but I am also guilty about the amount of processing I had to do to get it to this stage, it was in the middle of the day and I was more or less shooting directly into the light, but also from inside a cable car, so, wasn't ideal conditions and just about dodged the harsh alpine sun!

Thank you again people!

Let the guilt be mine then

Although Ararat is still my favourite.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.