AP compare K5 sensor


fatspider

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 19:43
AP have done tests with the Nikon D7000 Pentax K5 and Sony Alpha 55, as they say in the article they "believe" that they are all the same sensor.

All three cameras recieved similar praise for the quality of the sensors, the Nikon and Pentax having the edge, but the most surprising is the summing up.

Mat Gallagher says "but for overall performance the K5 would be my first choice with strong build, fast shooting and great looking images"

I wonder if the Pentax rep has been handing out bottles of scotch
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Anvh

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 19:53
fatspider wrote:
I wonder if the Pentax rep has been handing out bottles of scotch

Pentax is japanese so it would be most likely sake

But he is right though the D7000 is aimed at user a step below the K5 is it isn't surprising.
Stefan


K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

snappychappy

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 22:01
Great review, read it earlier, a good positive for Pentax from a mainly "Canon/Nikon" mag.
My piccies.

Oggy

Link Posted 29/04/2011 - 22:44
Sounds as if the K5 is being taken seriously. What I would like to see is a real world comparison between the K5 and the Cannon 7D. This would in part vindicate or otherwise my decision to go with the latter.

womble

Link Posted 30/04/2011 - 17:51
I thought it was a pleasingly positive review. Well the conclusions were, I didn't read the rest of it. I don't usually read camera reviews as I have some paint to watch drying somewhere...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

leytono

Link Posted 30/04/2011 - 20:09
Quote:
What I would like to see is a real world comparison between the K5 and the Cannon 7D. This would in part vindicate or otherwise my decision to go with the latter

Imagine the biggest differences would be AF in favour of the Canon and high ISO performance for the K5.
Slightly unfair comparison seeing as the 7D is about a year older, but probably offset by its original higher rrp.

Mike-P

Link Posted 30/04/2011 - 20:14
7D is still priced at about £1200 body only.
After using the 7D for a week imo the Canon still wipes the floor with the K-5 AF wise but I would say the Pentax is better in every other way.

Now waiting for the airshow season to start so that I can see how the K-5 performs.

Of course we still have nothing like the Canon 100-400mm
. My Flickr

Mike-P

Link Posted 30/04/2011 - 20:49
According to the review the K-5 uses a conservative 16 segment metering system .... I thought it was 77 ?
. My Flickr

gartmore

Link Posted 01/05/2011 - 08:27
Anvh wrote:
fatspider wrote:
I wonder if the Pentax rep has been handing out bottles of scotch

Pentax is japanese so it would be most likely sake

But he is right though the D7000 is aimed at user a step below the K5 is it isn't surprising.

Japan is the biggest consumer of Scotch on the Planet

Fantastic review of the K5 in the RPS journal too.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

rparmar

Link Posted 01/05/2011 - 22:43
gartmore wrote:
Japan is the biggest consumer of Scotch on the Planet

But their favourite is Canadian Club, so they don't have much taste in this regard!
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

pentaxian450

Link Posted 01/05/2011 - 23:36
rparmar wrote:
But their favourite is Canadian Club, so they don't have much taste in this regard!

I disagree. It proves they have excellent taste. And they also know where value lies.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

rparmar

Link Posted 02/05/2011 - 00:09
Canadian Club should be used only for mixing. Preferably with paint. As a drink it is inferior to dying of thirst. Just because you're Canadian doesn't mean you have to like everything with that word in it!

See also: Molson Canadian. A "beer" that reminds me of the joke about the lovers in a canoe.

But I digress.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

Don

Link Posted 02/05/2011 - 01:15
rparmar wrote:
Canadian Club should be used only for mixing. Preferably with paint. As a drink it is inferior to dying of thirst. Just because you're Canadian doesn't mean you have to like everything with that word in it!

See also: Molson Canadian. A "beer" that reminds me of the joke about the lovers in a canoe.

But I digress.

Makes me think of the Seven Last Words...
anyhoo...... anybody that doesn't appreciate everything Canadian, has my pity.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

womble

Link Posted 02/05/2011 - 10:16
I once visited a distillery in Switzerland that made various potent spirits. They had sent a couple of their staff to Scotland to discover the secrets of whisky making and had started to distil their own. It was marketed under the name of "Swissky"... Somewhat off topic now.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Anvh

Link Posted 02/05/2011 - 11:39
gartmore wrote:
Anvh wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if the Pentax rep has been handing out bottles of scotch

Pentax is japanese so it would be most likely sake

Japan is the biggest consumer of Scotch on the Planet

But not producer right?

I mean if i would give someone a drink it would be jenever most likely since it's typically Dutch.
Stefan


K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.