Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Anything to be gained

trickletreat
Posted 05/12/2011 - 16:08 Link
...by changing from a Pentax-FA 28mm F2.8 AL to a Pentax F28mm F2.8?
I have had the AL for a while and am very happy with some of the photographs, but I see that the F has its praises sung.
Anyone used both and can comment?
Nigel
johnriley
Posted 05/12/2011 - 16:18 Link
In many cases the F and FA lenses are the same configuration. However, in the case of the 28mm I'm not sure at which point the number of elements was reduced to five, the aspheric element making this possible.

I'll go and see if I can find out in a moment.
Best regards, John
johnriley
Posted 05/12/2011 - 16:22 Link
OK, the answer to that question was in my own articles. The F lenses are a conventional construction of 7/7 and the FA is the ashperic 5/5 layout.

So there could be a difference in performance, or at least in the characteristics.

Now we know the lenses are different we need someone who has tried them both in a critical way.

Alternatively, if you can, own both for a while and then sell on the one you like least.
Best regards, John
trickletreat
Posted 05/12/2011 - 16:28 Link
Cheers John, I hope it is not a goose chase, but I do like this as a go to lens. If it can be improved on without the silly money of a 31ltd i may be interested.
Nigel
sorted78
Posted 05/12/2011 - 18:15 Link
I have an FA28 and did a test of it and some other 28mm lenses a while ago (but not, unfortunately, an F2:

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/fast-28-30mm-lens-comparison-27374

I think that the main difference between the F28 and FA28 is the effect of the aspherical elements on the bokeh.

Although it's heavily subjective, I find the bokeh of the FA28 can be a bit harsh/busy on occasion, but depending on what you will use it for, this may not be an issue. I much prefer the Sigma 30/1.4 for its bokeh and rendering.

The thing that has always confused me about the way people hold the F28/2.8 in high regard is that I believe it is optically identical to the A28/2.8 and M28/2.8, which usually get pretty mediocre reviews.

The FA28 is a nice lens and from what I've seen/read, I'd be surprised if the F28 offered anything other than subtle improvements over it.
johnwhit
Posted 05/12/2011 - 18:19 Link
The FA is generally regarded as the better lens optically, The F shares the optical configuration of the A series and late M series.

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/primes/wide-angle/index.html
http://stans-photography.info/LongComments.html#General Discussion of 28 mm

http://stans-photography.info/BriefComments.html#28 mm f/2.8 FA AL

I have the FA-28 at the moment and like it a lot, but not as much as the FA35/2

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
Edited by johnwhit: 05/12/2011 - 18:28
trickletreat
Posted 05/12/2011 - 19:34 Link
Thank you all for your honest appraisals and links. The FA has given me some lovely results, but wandered if I would see an improvement. Funny you should mention the Sigma, as again I have seen some very good images ,shot in the same way I would use it, and had been considering it.
I like to use it as a general walk about lens, carried along with either 55 1.4, and/or the Ashai Pentax 135 2.5.

I had even considered the 31Ltd and wandered if I would have seen an improvement if used in the following pictures. Maybe it is more about getting the best out of what I have, and generally improving technique. Either way I would be interested in your comments.

Portraits...

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

General

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

I know I have posted quiet a few, but hoped to give a feel for usage and level of incompetency.

Nigel
Charlotte
Posted 05/12/2011 - 21:31 Link
I really don't think I'd get rid of a lens that gave me bokeh like the bokeh you've got in no.9 !

I really don't know what I'm talking about but all those shots look good to me - they're sharp in the right places and soft where necessary. I think the lens seems to have character. It's a personal thing but I really don't like some of these modern lenses that are just sharp all the way through - the pictures are fine but they don't seem to have depth or convey any feeling.

I'll shut up now,
Kind regards
Charlotte
trickletreat
Posted 05/12/2011 - 21:52 Link
Charlotte wrote:
I really don't think I'd get rid of a lens that gave me bokeh like the bokeh you've got in no.9 !

I really don't know what I'm talking about but all those shots look good to me - they're sharp in the right places and soft where necessary. I think the lens seems to have character. It's a personal thing but I really don't like some of these modern lenses that are just sharp all the way through - the pictures are fine but they don't seem to have depth or convey any feeling.

I'll shut up now,
Kind regards
Charlotte

I have to agree, it is easy to think there is something better. This lens is lovely to use, the added bonus is that some of my personal favourites since buying the K5, have been taken with it.
Nigel
davidstorm
Posted 05/12/2011 - 21:59 Link
Nigel, I agree with Charlotte. I don't know why you are looking for another lens when the one you have already got produces results such as those posted here! My favourite lens is the SMC Takumar 135mm F3.5 - it is razor-sharp but at the same time produces fantastic out-of focus effects much like the ones in your No.9.

You could maybe get more contrast from a different lens, but this is easily fixed in PP anyway.

Best wishes
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
trickletreat
Posted 05/12/2011 - 22:16 Link
I think that I raised the question having seen the 28 in the classifieds.
It is probably more of an indication that I, like some, question their own photographic ability, especially when I wander if I have an identifiable style of photography. If this is important or not, I'm not sure, but there are some of you who have a recognisable style, and I am drawn to the photographs exhibited.
It certainly is a journey, and along the way many factors compete for attention.
Beginning to ramble, so will shut up now.....
Nigel
davidstorm
Posted 05/12/2011 - 22:21 Link
I think we all have a style, whether or not it is recognisable is another matter! That style will inevitably suit different cameras and lenses, a bit like different brushes suit the style of different artists. I happen to think that older lenses suit my 'style'. It may also have something to do with the fact that you can buy them for £20 off ebay!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
trickletreat
Posted 05/12/2011 - 22:26 Link
yes most of mine have been second hand, a great way to go.
Nigel

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.