Any recommendations for neck strap?
Posted 28/09/2011 - 15:18
Link
Posted 28/09/2011 - 15:27
Link
You could try the OpTech harness, which I have probably mentioned in one of threads Gareth has linked to .
Posted 28/09/2011 - 15:30
Link
Optech are great, they are elasticated and so spread the weight better and reduce shock loading.
Friendly Regards
Graham
Graham
Posted 28/09/2011 - 15:33
Link
The Ephotozine site, which is related to this one, has straps for sale that are similar to Optech. Although the Ephotozine straps do not have quick releale ends, they are much more reasonably priced.
Friendly Regards
Graham
Graham
Posted 28/09/2011 - 15:35
Link
Cheers everyone. Almost as many personal preferences as there are straps, but it might be a case of buying a few and trying them out.
Posted 28/09/2011 - 16:58
Link
I've switched from a neck strap to a hand strap (video camera style) which I find a great improvement. Now my camera only swing around when my hand does...
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
Posted 28/09/2011 - 17:26
Link
But a wrist strap, while useful, it won't work with a grip in portrait orientation.
A cheap solution I came up with to convert neck strap into a loose wrist strap: Put a rubberband or similar in a figure of 8 around both ends of the neck strap just before it tapers to the narrower braid which attaches to the camera. Turn one of them over twice (through 360°) so that the erstwhile neck loop doubles up into a double loop. Put your hand through the double loop and grasp your camera.
Obviously you could do this without a rubberband, but what this gives you is a very loose strap around your wrist while you hold the camera. But if the camera slips the band will cause the loop to tighten around your wrist immediately and halt the fall.
A cheap solution I came up with to convert neck strap into a loose wrist strap: Put a rubberband or similar in a figure of 8 around both ends of the neck strap just before it tapers to the narrower braid which attaches to the camera. Turn one of them over twice (through 360°) so that the erstwhile neck loop doubles up into a double loop. Put your hand through the double loop and grasp your camera.
Obviously you could do this without a rubberband, but what this gives you is a very loose strap around your wrist while you hold the camera. But if the camera slips the band will cause the loop to tighten around your wrist immediately and halt the fall.
Posted 28/09/2011 - 18:12
Link
I bought a Black Rapid strap to take the weight off my neck, a bit stange first time I used it but wouldn't be without it now.
Posted 28/09/2011 - 18:28
Link
A significant consideration is how many cameras you shoot with. If you have more than one Optech allows you to change from a strap to a harness in seconds.
Posted 28/09/2011 - 18:33
Link
I have a Black Rapid and an Optech
I prefer the Black Rapid but from time to time I've needed the Optech so I have the 2 Optech attachments permanently on the K-x now - then I can choose which is appropriate for the' occasion'
I prefer the Black Rapid but from time to time I've needed the Optech so I have the 2 Optech attachments permanently on the K-x now - then I can choose which is appropriate for the' occasion'
let the education continue
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


863 posts
15 years
Norfolk
There are loads of after market straps out there, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for something more comfortable. Something that sits more on the shoulder than neck would be ideal.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Chris