Another Newbie

Peetle

Link Posted 22/11/2006 - 16:02
Hello all. I'm joining the Pentax crowd having just pre-ordered a K10D.

I had a Minolta X300 (to replace a stolen X700) for many years, but it finally died around 5 years ago. I've been surviving with a Canon Powershot S40 but have been increasingly feeling it's limitations, much as I like it's convenience. An autofocus D-SLR is going to be a leap forward, never mind the rest of the bells and whistles...

I was going to buy a Minolta D7. Then a Nikon D70. Then the Sony Alpha's IS sold me, until I played with one and found it a bit plasticky. Plus it won't take my old Minolta glass (which really isn't much cop) and I'd rather buy a camera from a camera company

The K10D ticks all my boxes and with the sensitivity modes it was the obvious choice. I'm probably a fairly typical of people attracted to Pentax by the K10D and I'm sure Pentax will succeed with it.

Oh and I went for the 16-45 F4 and 50-200 F4-5.6 lenses and I'm now on the lookout for a fast, wide prime for occasions when the 16-45 is too big. LBA - you betcha. Let's not get into lens web surfing addiction.

I've been a lurker on here for a while but having finally put my hand in my pocket I thought I'd join the fray.
Share and Enjoy

kcmadr

Link Posted 22/11/2006 - 16:08
It's kind of a catch 22 situation...

If nobody buys Pentax, then nobody will buy Pentax.

Ijs

Link Posted 22/11/2006 - 16:32
Peetle wrote:
Hello all. I'm joining the Pentax crowd having just pre-ordered a K10D. I'm probably a fairly typical of people attracted to Pentax by the K10D and I'm sure Pentax will succeed with it.

Hiya Peetle.

The K10D caught my eye too. I'll be placing my pre-order later today, and I can't wait to try it.

fatspider

Link Posted 22/11/2006 - 18:22
Hi Peetle

welcome to the board

and congratulations on choosing Pentax.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Mongoose

Link Posted 07/12/2006 - 16:45
nice choice of camera and zoom pair, you wont be disapointed with that little kit. I'm quite green with envy.

Arthur Dent

Link Posted 08/12/2006 - 02:53
Peetle wrote:

Oh and I went for the 16-45 F4 and 50-200 F4-5.6 lenses

Welcome to the forums.

The 16-45 is an excellent choice. I'm not so sure of the 50-200, that's a long zoom range.

If you're into serious photography, it helps that the camera can take all sorts of old lenses going back to the 1970's. And if you get the adapter, you can use all those fantastic M42 screw mount lenses.

Mongoose

Link Posted 14/12/2006 - 12:19
Arthur Dent wrote:
Peetle wrote:

Oh and I went for the 16-45 F4 and 50-200 F4-5.6 lenses

Welcome to the forums.

The 16-45 is an excellent choice. I'm not so sure of the 50-200, that's a long zoom range.

If you're into serious photography, it helps that the camera can take all sorts of old lenses going back to the 1970's. And if you get the adapter, you can use all those fantastic M42 screw mount lenses.

It is a long range sure, but I've never seen a sharper lens with the possible exception of my SMC-A 50mm 1.7. The DA 50-200 beats my Tamron SP 90mm Macro and SMC-M 200mm F4, I only use the primes for speed or (in the case of the macro) close focusing.

Such quality in such a small light package and at such a price is rare.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.