Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

another HDR post

redbusa99
Posted 10/04/2014 - 22:57 Link
took these today, a couple of village Churches, natuaral light only so used bracketing to get as much as i could out of it. this village was formed from 2 parishes in 1935

St Andrews, Eastleach (was Eastleach Turville)

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

St Michael and St Martins,Eastleach (was Eastleach Martin) this is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust

Comment Image

Comment Image

processed with Photomatix and final tweaks in photoshop
odd lens or 2

Flickr
gwing
Posted 10/04/2014 - 23:10 Link
A very nice set indeed. You've done an absolutely superb job rendering the stained glass colours in the third shot.
redbusa99
Posted 11/04/2014 - 00:05 Link
thanks Rob, actually i tell a lie i took them yesterday, been a long couple of days. i think the subject lends itself to the use of bracket(HDR) shooting, plan on doing a "50 Village Church" project using only whatever natural light they have. i find they are very calming to work in, cool and quiet, plus some of the villages could have other photographic gems, you never know.
odd lens or 2

Flickr
Smeggypants
Posted 11/04/2014 - 01:15 Link
Nice shots : - I wouldn't call them HDR at all, which to me conjures up the acid trip cartoon stuff that's rather sickly.

Even though you've reduced the dynamic range ala HDR, these are very natural and don't desreve the HDR label
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
gwing
Posted 11/04/2014 - 07:41 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
Nice shots : - I wouldn't call them HDR at all, which to me conjures up the acid trip cartoon stuff that's rather sickly.

Even though you've reduced the dynamic range ala HDR, these are very natural and don't desreve the HDR label

No, no , no. This is what HDR was invented for and how it should be. I'd never say a word against it if used like this - acid trips are acid trips that just find the HDR tool an easy way to artistically distort the original.
redbusa99
Posted 11/04/2014 - 08:08 Link
thanks smeggy, the object of the exercise was to try and end up with a very natural appearance. blended together in Photomatix using the "natural" or "enhanced" preset as the starting point.
odd lens or 2

Flickr
Posted 11/04/2014 - 08:34 Link
Great work, as sharp as a scalpel

gwing wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:

No, no , no. This is what HDR was invented for and how it should be. I'd never say a word against it if used like this - acid trips are acid trips that just find the HDR tool an easy way to artistically distort the original.

McGregNi
Posted 11/04/2014 - 08:52 Link
The process gets a bad press, and has become associated with that over-detailed, over-saturated gravelly texture and highly raised shadows that go beyond the natural. As has been said a few times lately, it is really just another 'tool' to compensate for the DR limitations of the sensor. It works well here because the DR extremes are natural and close to what our eyes would detect themselves when scanning around the scene.

Photomatix Pro has a number of presets including a few which are 'natural' & 'photographic', they are good starting points for using the software for this aim.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Russ
Posted 11/04/2014 - 10:25 Link
Smeggypants wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Do not appear as HDR at all, which i suppose is the greatest compliment you can pay a HDR image. Beautiful set of images.
redbusa99
Posted 11/04/2014 - 21:18 Link
thanks to all for the comments, i must admit i was pleased with the outcome of the processing and will definitely use it again, may experiment using some of the mono presets as a start to see what happens.
odd lens or 2

Flickr

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.