An Apology

Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Enough has been said on the matter

davidstorm

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 15:02
This is a bit of an unusual post, I hope the mods will allow it to remain as I just want to issue an open apology to all of the PU members that read some odd comments made today on a post on the Forum from yesterday about low-light focussing on the K-5iis.

The post I made on there referring to the AF Light illuminating on a D7100 is accurate. This was happening in the daytime in a room that was a bit dim, I gave this information not for any personal reasons but to illustrate how good the K-5IIs is at focussing in poor light, there were no other reasons for me referring to this. In hindsight, I probably should not have named the owner of the camera as this is what appears to have created the response, I apologise for doing so if it has caused offence.

What followed was surprising to say the least and has been taken out of context. It should not have been posted on an open forum, especially as there were comments made directly about me which are not true and which should have been addressed to me personally if there was any concern. I hope that everyone will accept this apology and will understand that I have not fallen out with the person concerned, I have no reason to post anything derogatory about that person and I will never do so.

There's no need for anyone to respond to this post, the only reason I've put it on is to say sorry for what you might have read and that there was never any intention on my part for this to occur.

Many thanks
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 15:27
Take it easy Pal
I think most of the regular's here will fully understand what your saying here, and there, I do, and can see both sides of this.

Your a good bloke, I have a lot of respect for you David.

(Just showing a little support is all}

Mike-P

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 15:57
I think it was Kai over on DigitalRev that agreed with you when comparing the D7100 over the K-5II David. The comment was that the Pentax focused in hardly any light whatsoever while the Nikon was continually having to use the assist lamp.

It's a shame when people are so anal about their kit they have to respond in an aggressive manner to any slight negative .... luckily for us the Pentax range is perfect now so we don't have that problem.

I must admit as soon as I saw your comment in the other thread I thought you were taking a major risk, especially considering how volatile said member has been in the past
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 01/03/2014 - 16:00

Algernon

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 17:01
Irrespective of what make of camera they only focus very roughly and inconsistently at the low light levels. The author of the lens test program MTF_mapper recommends EV7 as the lowest LV for lens test purposes because of focus problems and he uses a Nikon.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 01/03/2014 - 17:01

davidstorm

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 17:31
Thank you to Mike and Darren for the supportive responses. I realise I made a mistake by naming a person in my post yesterday, but I didn't expect World War Three to start as a result!

Algernon wrote:
Irrespective of what make of camera they only focus very roughly and inconsistently at the low light levels. The author of the lens test program MTF_mapper recommends EV7 as the lowest LV for lens test purposes because of focus problems and he uses a Nikon.--

Not sure this is quite right now Algi, there are some very clear differences in the low light focussing performance / accuracy, both within the Pentax range and also when comparing Pentax to other cameras. The K-5II range and the K-3 are extremely good for low light AF and easily outperform the K-5 Mk1 in this area.

Regards
David
Flickr

Algernon

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 17:56
Not really the correct place to discuss it, but all AF systems are designed to stop focusing when the image is good enough. The dearer cameras such as the top Canons actually specify a figure which is higher than is used on the cheaper Canons. They can't set the requirement too high because most lenses wide open would never reach it, especially f/1.4's where the image is not very strong and f/6.3 lenses where light becomes a problem. 36 lp/mm is the value often used on lower range cameras.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 01/03/2014 - 17:59

Mike-P

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 18:22
davidstorm wrote:
I realise I made a mistake by naming a person in my post yesterday, but I didn't expect World War Three to start as a result!

As soon as I read your post I went straight into the kitchen for a bowl of popcorn.
. My Flickr

MattyH

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 18:24
For what it's worth, I have purchased a Nikon FF camera this last week with a couple of fast primes, and after comparing the AF with my K3, there's no contest, none what so ever.
Like it's been said before, the nikon is quick to activate its lamp to try to help itself focus, I don't think I have seen the K3s lamp come on as yet, and yes it's turned on.
After trying a number of cameras over the years and in those years Pentax taking a bit of a battering in the focus department, I believe they have now come up trumps with the K3 and has to be one of the best in class.

P.s, David, I don't think any apology was need, as I think your photos, skill and helpfulness to us members and forum speaks volumes and more so then any not needed apology.
Last Edited by MattyH on 01/03/2014 - 18:28

Blythman

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 18:44
Wouldn't worry about it at all David.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

davidstorm

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 19:12
Thanks Matty and Alan, and thanks again to Mike, your post has raised a few smiles in our household!

Mike-P wrote:
As soon as I read your post I went straight into the kitchen for a bowl of popcorn.

Regards
David
Flickr

tyronet2000

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 20:06
What have I missed
Regards
Stan

PPG

joostdh

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 20:14
No idea what this is about but that sure is a good and sincere apology. I can only hope that someone that would offend me ever apologised like this
Pentax K-1| Pentax K-01 | D-FA 28-105mm | FA 28mm F2.8 | FA 35mm F2.0 | FA 43mm F1.9 Ltd | FA 50mm F1.4 | FA 50mm F2.8 Macro | FA* 85mm F1.4 | FA 100mm F2.8 Macro | DA* 200mm F2.8 | Pentax AF 540FGZ

AndrewA

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 20:15
We still love you David
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 20:16
I was wondering what I had missed....

Perhaps I should add my 2p worth and mention that the AF540FGZ doesn't overheat like the SB-900 does....now I realise that when Nikon has a product that ends in 10....the previous variant is the development model, ie the Austin Maxi of the photographic world.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 20:19
The Austin Maxi!! Hahaha Proper made me smile
Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Enough has been said on the matter