American Pentax Forum

Timmy2Knocks

Link Posted 17/07/2010 - 23:03
I've brought an item or two off the uk forum and have found it very above board.

Has anyone tried buying stuff from the USA forum as the items can be slightly cheaper even with the postal costs.

Cannot find any other chat about this please point me in the right direction if there is a tread going.

All the best,
Tim

Mike-P

Link Posted 17/07/2010 - 23:26
I bought my K10D from there over 2 years ago and a few lenses since but that was when the exchange rate was a lot better than now. Once you add import duty etc it's not really worth the hassle.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

thoramay

Link Posted 18/07/2010 - 08:37
Just paid an import, plus vat, plus handling fee of nearly 100 on a 350 purchase from USA.
As Mike says, unless you can get around this tax you are better buying locally.
However, received a 750 purchase from China and it gathered no tax. Just hope the relevant agencies are not Forum members.

regards Thoramay.
Last Edited by thoramay on 18/07/2010 - 08:38

Timmy2Knocks

Link Posted 18/07/2010 - 09:32
OK need a yank to send me presents in the post then.

Thanks for the feedback think I will stick to the UK for now.

Mike-P

Link Posted 18/07/2010 - 09:52
thoramay wrote:

However, received a 750 purchase from China and it gathered no tax. Just hope the relevant agencies are not Forum members.

regards Thoramay.

Was this a recent purchase?

If the item was delivered by a courier there is a good chance you will get a customs invoice in a week or so. I have had that happen a couple of times, they don't ask for the payment up front like Royal mail but prefer to spring it on you a bit later as a nice suprise.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 18/07/2010 - 09:53
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.