Alternatives to Flickr?

johnha

Link Posted 22/04/2013 - 22:22
Hi All,

I've been using Flickr quite happily for the last year or so but have now nearly reached the point where I'm going to exceed the 200 photo limit on my free photostream (not that I knew there was a limit). I was going to go 'pro' but that seems to require a Yahoo Wallet arrangement which seems completely OTT.

What alternatives are there (not Instagram before anyone suggests it)? I'm happy to pay for the right service if necessary and I'm not too bothered about favs, contacts, groups etc.

The other option is to boost my own web hosting package and put together a basic site of my own (display only), which would be an interesting project in itself.

Any comments/suggestions?

Regards,

John.
PPG Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 22/04/2013 - 22:33
Photobucket?
Best regards, John

steven9761

Link Posted 22/04/2013 - 22:36
If you are a BT Internet customer, you are entitled to a free Pro account on Flickr.

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 22/04/2013 - 22:46
I have a pro account, used to put all my photos up on there but I use it less now... Trying to only put my best shots up now...

Not sure I'd want an alternative but maybe something in addition to...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

cabstar

Link Posted 22/04/2013 - 23:25
I use flickr as an online backup service, mark as private big files etc.. well worth the $25 a year
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 08:11
Photobucket is free and on the whole works well, especially with the recent revamp. I don't think there's the "social" side that flickr has, by which I mean the groups and discussions, but for simple photo storage it's good. I have hundreds upon hundreds of images there and still have plenty of space.

The advertising is off-putting though, especially as it can be the insalubrious kind.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

AndrewH

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 09:28
steven9761 wrote:
If you are a BT Internet customer, you are entitled to a free Pro account on Flickr.

Interesting...how do you upgrade your Flickr account as this would be useful for me. I too didn't know there was a limit! TIA
flickr

AndrewH

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 14:02
Ignore the above...done! Thanks for tip (had to delete old account as had used Google to sign in and apparently can't change that), now have free Pro account
flickr

Haworth

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 17:36
How did you do it? I can't see the option on the My BT page? Am I looking in the wrong bit?
'The RAW is the score and the print is the performance' - Apologies to Ansel Adams

Blog
Flickr

Haworth

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 18:44
S'ok I've sussed it.
'The RAW is the score and the print is the performance' - Apologies to Ansel Adams

Blog
Flickr

AndrewH

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 18:55
Haworth wrote:
S'ok I've sussed it.

I had a nightmare with Yahoo and flickr accounts, it was a right PITA...took drastic action as I didn't have a great deal uploaded and felt it was worth the short term pain for getting a more flexible account!
flickr

Haworth

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 22:02
Yep, me to, I ended up creating a second fickr account with a different userername by mistake, but then tried to swap the email accounts over to sign in and got in a right muddle. Think I've sorted it tho'.

Blog
Flickr

johnha

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 22:51
Thanks for the replies. It's not the cost I object to, but having to have a Yahoo Wallet (which I don't like the sound of). Not knowing exactly what this is, how it works and how secure it is, particularly as it shouldn't be necessary when paying a few dollars every twelve months, means its aggro I can do without.

I'm looking at Photobucket at the moment.

Thanks,

John.
PPG Flickr

RayB

Link Posted 23/04/2013 - 23:23
Just to add for the BT Customers - you get one flickr pro account per e-mail address...
Last Edited by RayB on 23/04/2013 - 23:23

hooferinsane

Link Posted 28/04/2013 - 20:27
RayB wrote:
Just to add for the BT Customers - you get one flickr pro account per e-mail address...

How do you set this up please, I have BT internet, but unsure what to do to make my flickr a pro account?
K10D, DL2, MZ3, Canon 550d
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.