af360FGZ failure

thegreenman

Link Posted 20/08/2012 - 10:37
My flashgun seems to have died.Recently I have noticed that if I turned it off without fully discharging it, it would not charge when turned back on again. removing the batteries overnight seemed to reset it so it worked again.

Now, however, it will not charge at all. The screen comes on, but the charging noise is sadly missing. Batteries are all good.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem?

Also, I bought it in Nov 2010 from Currys for £99, I seem to remember there are new laws covering manufacturing defects beyond the standard 12 month warranty period. I am sure I have seen links to some standard letters referring to these on this forum, could someone point me to these, I cant seem to find them.

paulgee20

Link Posted 20/08/2012 - 11:22
Hi there, you could try this: -

Contact Vendor by registered post, tell them you are well aware of your rights under EU legislation (2 year warranty) and also the UK sale of goods act, and that you are prepared to take legal action in order to persue your rights, make them aware that unless they agree within 7 days to replace or repair the camera free of charge you will issue a summons through the small claims court in order to recover the cost for repair or replacement of the faulty item.

DON'T let them fob you off with returning the camera to ?????, they sold you the camera, it is their responsibility.

Letter: -

Your name
First line of address
Second line of address
Third line of address
Fourth line of address
Contact telephone number
Owner/Managerís name
First line of company address
Second line of company address
Third line of company address
Fourth line of company address
Todayís date

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Faulty goods and the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)

On [date of purchase] I bought a [description of purchase] from you for [insert price] which has stopped working.

The problem is [enter description of fault].

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) states that when a consumer buys goods from a trader they must be: as described; of a satisfactory quality; and fit for any purpose made known at the time of sale to the seller.

This legislation also states that the seller, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out a problem if the goods do not meet these requirements.

The law also says I have six years from the date of purchase to claim damages for faulty goods.

My goods are not [delete as appropriate - as described/fit for purpose/of satisfactory quality] and I wish to claim a [delete as appropriate - repair/replacement/refund] of my goods under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended.

Please respond to my complaint within 7 days from receipt of this letter.

Yours faithfully,
[your name]
K5's (2)both gripped, K10d gripped, Pentax 28-90 f3.5, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Sigma 10-20 f.4-5.6.EX DC, Hoya 135 f2.8, Take on 28mm f2.8 Pentax AF360 flash, 2 fill in slaves. 30 metre remote release, Rt angle viewfinder, Giotto NOT 3261B Tripod with Manfrotto 808Rd4 ball head, Manfroto 4861RC2 monopoly, shoulder stock, various filters etc, Panasonic SET HBS HD Video cam, Tamrac Explorer 8x backpack and a sore back.....
-------------------------------------------------------
Photography is an index for measuring futility and pride.......

Paul

:wink
http://s743.photobucket.com/home/pg20_photos/index http://www.flickr.com/photos/pg20

thegreenman

Link Posted 21/08/2012 - 09:55
Thanks Paul.

I'm not holding my breath for a quick resolution to this one. Shame really as I really like the flash.

thegreenman

Link Posted 25/08/2012 - 11:46
Been back in touch with currys and they have offered me £44 as a partial refund. They will also let me keep the flash, so I can put the money toward a repair.

Better outcome than I was expecting, so have accepted it.

Just need to find someone to repair it now

Thanks Paul
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.