Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

AF Fine Adjustment advice

emleyman
Posted 07/06/2019 - 08:26 Link
I have a k5iis, and am hoping for a bit of advice on the AF Fine adjustment for different lenses. I've read the manual, but I'm a bit unclear how it works.

I've previously set adjustments for a DA55-300 and a DA18-135 using the adjust one setting, and that's been ok. I now want to add an adjustment for an old manual lens I've bought off Ebay (Cosina 100mm macro). I understand that this lens isn't recognised by the camera so I need to use the "adjust all" option. My question is whether when I set this, will it affect the other lenses with "adjust one" settings? The manual states:

"Even when an adjustment value has been saved using [Apply One], if you press the OK button with [Apply All] selected in Step 3, the [Apply All] value
is used instead of the [Apply One] value."

My DA55-300 is set to +6. If my cosina needs -4 (it may not, I haven't tested it yet), would that mean I need to leave the 55-300 at +6, change it to +10, or will the "adjust one" setting be completely ignored anyway?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
DOIK
Posted 07/06/2019 - 08:37 Link
The answer is in the first sentence "AF Fine adjustment" the Cosina is a MF lens, just set the focal length when asked to.

John
pschlute
Posted 07/06/2019 - 08:59 Link
emleyman wrote:
I have a k5iis, and am hoping for a bit of advice on the AF Fine adjustment for different lenses. I've read the manual, but I'm a bit unclear how it works.

I've previously set adjustments for a DA55-300 and a DA18-135 using the adjust one setting, and that's been ok. I now want to add an adjustment for an old manual lens I've bought off Ebay (Cosina 100mm macro). I understand that this lens isn't recognised by the camera so I need to use the "adjust all" option. My question is whether when I set this, will it affect the other lenses with "adjust one" settings? The manual states:

"Even when an adjustment value has been saved using [Apply One], if you press the OK button with [Apply All] selected in Step 3, the [Apply All] value
is used instead of the [Apply One] value."

My DA55-300 is set to +6. If my cosina needs -4 (it may not, I haven't tested it yet), would that mean I need to leave the 55-300 at +6, change it to +10, or will the "adjust one" setting be completely ignored anyway?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The adjustments made in Apply All or Apply One can only be used individually, not cumulatively. So leave your DA55-300 at +6.

If your manual lens requires -4 you can only set that in the Apply All setting.

But here is the important bit which is not made perfectly clear in the manual: The AF/FA menu is not just for setting the adjustments, but also for telling the camera which setting to use. After you have made an adjustment check which setting the AF/FA menu is at before you exit.

OFF..... and no adjustment will be used (even though you have programmed some)

APPLY ALL .....and any lens you use will apply the "APPLY ALL" setting (even if you have a specific adjustment set for that lens in the APPLY ONE menu)

APPLY ONE.... and the camera will use the APPLY ONE setting for that individual lens. But if you use a lens which has had no calibration done to it, or use a lens which is incapable of being individually calibrated (ie your manual lens), the camera will default from APPLY ONE to APPLY ALL and use the global setting.

So the answer for you is to adjust the manual lens in "APPLY ALL" and save it, but then change the menu setting to APPLY ONE before you exit the menu.
emleyman
Posted 07/06/2019 - 09:10 Link
Thanks Peter,

That makes sense. I don't think I'd have ever worked that out from the manual.
pschlute
Posted 07/06/2019 - 09:15 Link
emleyman wrote:
Thanks Peter,

That makes sense. I don't think I'd have ever worked that out from the manual.

Me neither, it took trial and error

One caveat I should have mentioned is that this is how it works on the K1. I would imagine it is the same for the K5 but it would be worth you checking yourself and reporting back.
pschlute
Posted 07/06/2019 - 09:19 Link
I should also point out that if anyone uses the USER settings, it is worth checking very carefully the menu settings of the AF/FA , and indeed all other critical settings before saving a USER setting.

It would be only too easy to assume that a AF/FA menu setting will be maintained when switching to a USER mode, when in fact that may not be the case, depending on how the menu was set when the USER mode was saved.
Edited by pschlute: 07/06/2019 - 09:22
emleyman
Posted 07/06/2019 - 18:39 Link
Peter,

I've had a quick play with it, and it works the way you suggested. I just need to spend a bit of time to get the adjustment correct now.

Thanks for the help.
pschlute
Posted 07/06/2019 - 20:33 Link
You are welcome

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.