Advice on lenses for sci-fi convention


josiahk

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 13:44
Hi all,

In a few days I am going to a sci-fi convention (I won tickets in a competition and have never been to an event like this before). I am expecting there to be plenty of interesting costumes etc on show, and so am looking forward to playing with my camera.

I am unsure what lenses to take and was hoping maybe some of you could offer some helpful advice? The camera will be a K-5iis.

Currently my plan is:
DA* 50-135 - this will be my default lens over the weekend I expect.
DA 12-24 - for large shots of the crowds and the hall.
DA 50 1.4 - my biggest aperture for areas not well lit.
DA 40 ltd - just bridging the gap from the 24 to the 50.
Possibly also my AF-360 flash? I don't usually use flash, but perhaps the need may arise?

Many thanks in advance
Narcoleptic with a camera

johnriley

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 15:14
I think you're carrying too much there. If you kept it light, I'd go for a standard zoom plus a fast lens. I would try to get in close, not use a long telephoto zoom.

When I've been to Doctor Who exhibitions/conventions I've used the 16-45mm f/4 without much of a problem or a need to change lenses. Even in the dark the ISO on the K-5 can be upped quite a bit without quality suffering.
Best regards, John

Steep

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 15:46
I'd take the 50-135 and the 40mm, John is right about you taking too much. If you take all that you'll lose shots faffing about changing lenses or just not use them. Keep the kit simple and concentrate on the photography.
Last Edited by Steep on 25/03/2014 - 15:46

Darkmunk

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 15:55
There will often be someone in the way with long lenses. It's worth having if you're stuck at the back, or if you discover you can get some sneaky candids, but as John says, a standard zoom will be invaluable. Out of my kit, I think the Tamron 17-50, would be a must.
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

gartmore

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 16:12
I think silver finished lenses would look much better
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Glowingblue

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 16:22
16-45 f/4 - my first choice also - Johns right, concentrate on enjoying the event as well as capturing it

johnriley wrote:
I think you're carrying too much there. If you kept it light, I'd go for a standard zoom plus a fast lens. I would try to get in close, not use a long telephoto zoom.

When I've been to Doctor Who exhibitions/conventions I've used the 16-45mm f/4 without much of a problem or a need to change lenses. Even in the dark the ISO on the K-5 can be upped quite a bit without quality suffering.

Last Edited by Glowingblue on 25/03/2014 - 16:24

josiahk

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 16:27
I take the point about too many lenses, which is why I was looking for advice. I should mention that my plan had been those listed to cover the whole weekend though, not to walk around carrying all the time.

Sadly, I do not have a standard zoom of any better quality than the kit lens, and I am not going all that way just to shoot with my worst lens

Thinking about what people have said, I think I will rely on the low light capabilities of the camera, so leave behind the flash and the 50 1.4.

My new plan is:

DA* 50-135
DA 12-24
DA 40 ltd

Does this seem better to people?
Narcoleptic with a camera

johnriley

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 16:30
Much better, at least you'll be able to last the day without the weight becoming a real burden.
Best regards, John

Glowingblue

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 16:32
The leaving behind of the flash is a good idea, you can trust the K5 with high ISO's. That 50-135 would be my personal fave, I do like candids
josiahk wrote:
I take the point about too many lenses, which is why I was looking for advice. I should mention that my plan had been those listed to cover the whole weekend though, not to walk around carrying all the time.

Sadly, I do not have a standard zoom of any better quality than the kit lens, and I am not going all that way just to shoot with my worst lens

Thinking about what people have said, I think I will rely on the low light capabilities of the camera, so leave behind the flash and the 50 1.4.

My new plan is:

DA* 50-135
DA 12-24
DA 40 ltd

Does this seem better to people?

Last Edited by Glowingblue on 25/03/2014 - 16:32

josiahk

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 16:37
Thanks. I won the tickets to this event, and I have not been to anything like it before, but I am quite looking forward to it. I may even have 'gone native' a bit with my clothing choices. The last few weeks have been an entertaining blend of eBay and craftwork



Narcoleptic with a camera

Glowingblue

Link Posted 25/03/2014 - 16:39
I reckon your 'Steampunk' look will allow you blend right in - I'm so envious
josiahk wrote:
Thanks. I won the tickets to this event, and I have not been to anything like it before, but I am quite looking forward to it. I may even have 'gone native' a bit with my clothing choices. The last few weeks have been an entertaining blend of eBay and craftwork



Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.