Advice from K1owners. please...

Blythman

Link Posted 04/09/2017 - 06:55
Take it out the box, attach a lens, set it up with the preferences you've used on previous cameras, attach a lens and take some photos. Promise yourself you'll read the manual sometime.
Be prepared for some pleasant surprises like the DA70 works well in FF with just a little vignetting which often suits portraits. The 10-17 works great from 15mm. The 1,4x gives a little vignetting too, but if you need it, you'll probably be cropping anyway.
I believe AF is faster in crop mode.
And as for reading the manual. I just had a look at it after 14 months as it turns out the astrotracer works slightly differently to the K3 withe the separate unit. I'll check it out again if I ever want to use pixel shift.
Good luck. I really enjoy mine. It's made both my K3 and K5iis virtually redundant as it combines the best of both and adds some extra.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

pschlute

Link Posted 04/09/2017 - 07:20
Maybe its just me, but the first thing I do with a new camera is to go through the manual from page 1 !
Peter

My Flickr page

Mike-P

Link Posted 04/09/2017 - 09:31
pschlute wrote:
Maybe its just me

Yup
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

GlynM

Link Posted 04/09/2017 - 10:33
pschlute wrote:
Maybe its just me, but the first thing I do with a new camera is to go through the manual from page 1 !

I am not sure I read the whole manual but I certainly down-loaded and viewed quite a bit of it while I was waiting for my K1 to arrive. My wife says it is an aspey thing. It turns out that there is a strong thread of Asperger syndrome in my family, not recognised when I was a youngster but is probably why we make good engineers .

Glyn
Last Edited by GlynM on 04/09/2017 - 10:34

Blythman

Link Posted 04/09/2017 - 15:07
Forgot to add. For my type of shooting the extra knob on the too is almost permanently set to Crop. This enables me to quickly switch using the new thumb wheel between FF and crop. For occasions when I need additional reach, faster AF or faster FPS.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

stub

Link Posted 04/09/2017 - 17:46
Blythman wrote:
Forgot to add. For my type of shooting the extra knob on the too is almost permanently set to Crop. This enables me to quickly switch using the new thumb wheel between FF and crop. For occasions when I need additional reach, faster AF or faster FPS.

This brings the conversion is it better to shoot in crop mode,,,Or zoom into and crop the larger original file... when you get home....?
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

JAK

Link Posted 04/09/2017 - 18:17
stub wrote:
Blythman wrote:

This brings the conversion is it better to shoot in crop mode,,,Or zoom into and crop the larger original file... when you get home....?

TBH It doesn't really make any difference if filling the frame can't be accomplished with the lenses available. Eg the image of a small bird will cover the same pixels whichever mode is set at a given focal length. Filling the full frame has to be the best aim where possible. Having the full frame image rather than a cropped one also gives more options as to framing the subject.
The crop mode can be considered the same as using a digital zoom which is how it will show on the live-view screen..
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 04/09/2017 - 18:25

Mag07

Link Posted 04/09/2017 - 19:46
stub wrote:
Blythman wrote:

For many APS-C lenses the square crop mode is fantastic and a third option. That said, I prefer to shoot in FF and crop in post if necessary. AS long as you know your lens and the amount of vignetting it produces, you will have no trouble framing your shots in ff mode to account for the later crop.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

jules

Link Posted 05/09/2017 - 07:11
Keep it coming lads, on to page two of me notebook and determined not to RTFM!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

pschlute

Link Posted 05/09/2017 - 08:59
Do you use manual exposure mode much ? Do you want the green button to shift a certain parameter (Tv/Av/ISO) when pressed in M mode?

Then set up the "green button in M mode" to perform the desired shift. This will also have an undocumented feature of using the same parameter shift if you want to bracket in M mode.
Peter

My Flickr page

Blythman

Link Posted 06/09/2017 - 06:03
To the point on using FF and cropping or using crop mode from the outset. I usually use FF and crop that image afterwards. However, sometimes your cropping so much it's just a waste of disk space. And maybe it's just my imagination, bit I do find the AF seems more assured in crop mode when I'm focusing on that tiny kingfisher in the distance.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

KarenScott

Link Posted 08/09/2017 - 09:05
Thanks a lot for the tips)

DrOrloff

Link Posted 08/09/2017 - 20:00
jules wrote:
Hints, tips, advice on how to get the best out of the camera and it's files too, not just RTFM!

There's a FM?

1. Put an expensive lens on it,
2. Stand in front of something interesting before most people have woken up.
3. Put it on M and try a few settings until it comes out right.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

pschlute

Link Posted 08/09/2017 - 20:56
Blythman wrote:
To the point on using FF and cropping or using crop mode from the outset. I usually use FF and crop that image afterwards. However, sometimes your cropping so much it's just a waste of disk space. And maybe it's just my imagination, bit I do find the AF seems more assured in crop mode when I'm focusing on that tiny kingfisher in the distance.

I have seen comments that AF can be a bit quicker in crop mode. I don't know whether that relates only a lens originialy made for digital or not. I have not tested this out. I use FF mode by default and think the AF is quick enough as it is.

Think how you would feel if you grabbed that perfect shot in crop mode and the bird's beak was just out of frame !!
Peter

My Flickr page

pschlute

Link Posted 08/09/2017 - 21:01
DrOrloff wrote:

Put it on M and try a few settings until it comes out right.

That is a great bit of advice. It was very much that way when I got my first Pentax a MX.

I would advise anyone starting out in photography to use M exposure mode for a day experimenting in the garden or street. They would learn more about exposure in one day than in six months of using an auto setting.
Peter

My Flickr page
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.