Advice for doing festivals

Snootchies

Link Posted 02/04/2013 - 16:39
Hi chaps. Next month I'm covering a 3 day festival, and it will be my first 'proper' festival gig as a paid photographer. I've done a few events already with live bands, but these were small indoor venues. Corporate bashes and weddings essentially. This is a large outdoor event.

I'll be taking a K-5 & 70-200 f2.8 HSM for the two stages, and I'll have the GX-10 with the 17-50 f2.8 and a flashgun for portraits of people/wide shots.

So that being said, are there any tips from seasoned festival photographers out there?
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
Last Edited by Snootchies on 02/04/2013 - 16:43

cabstar

Link Posted 02/04/2013 - 18:55
Wellies, waterproofs and a hat.

I can also recommend getting one if those plastic bag type camera / lens protectors.

Plenty of lens cloths, towels etc.

If staying over and using press facilities a 4 way electrical adaptor and plenty of chargers and batteries and memory cards.

Some sensible walking shoes if its not raining and keep the kit light, your suggested kit is perfect and roughly what i carry around. I do recommend a double strap. Its amazing how many miles you walk in a day at a festival. Last year at t in the park i was walking 18 miles a day with that kit on my shoulders. I also take with me klix type coffee cups from the pound shop and pot noodles, most press areas have a boiler / kettle on the go but they soon run out of tea coffee. Food is particularly expensive even in the press area so i usually take my own

Out of interest which festival is it???
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Snootchies

Link Posted 02/04/2013 - 20:16
That's great advice thank-you!

It's quite a small festival in Shropshire, nothing like the events you do Cabstar! But still, it could lead to bigger and better things!

Here's the link if you are interested.

I've done a few smaller events with the company who run this festival, and they've now asked me to cover their flagship event for them this year. It's not been going for very long - just a few years, but its growing and getting wider attention. Looking forward to it.

It's reassuring that you think the camera gear is the right approach, but the practicalities are a different matter!!! Plenty of food for thought!
Bob

Last Edited by Snootchies on 02/04/2013 - 20:33

davidstorm

Link Posted 02/04/2013 - 20:59
Well done Bob, it's great to hear of the success of fellow Forum members; please keep us updated on the success of your festival coverage and be sure to post some shots!

Best wishes
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

cabstar

Link Posted 02/04/2013 - 21:14
Hey Bob

Thats the sort of festival i started by doing. These are usually the best for access and also looking after you food and drink wise.

Camera gear is just gear at the end of the day, logistics are the most important part

Looking at their website festival goer interaction is very important so between shooting bands go out into the crowd whilst the light is good and get some good interaction going. Take some branding out with you, poster, scarve, program etc anything for the subjects to hold. The festivals media team will love this type of coverage

So nice to hear a festival paying for photography coverage, i see so much exploitation at the bigger festivals who have budgets but point blank refuse to pay, so good on them for doing that.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Snootchies

Link Posted 02/04/2013 - 21:36
Thanks very much again Cabstar!!! Excellent advice!

I'll certainly share pics from the day David.
Bob

K10D

Link Posted 02/04/2013 - 23:48
cabstar wrote:
Wellies, waterproofs and a hat.

OZ version: thongs (flip flops) sunscreen and a hat.

OK, the thongs are a bit out of context as everyone else will be wearing them. Normally a good pair of trainers or walking shoes as Gary says due to the distances covered.

Work with at least two cameras with flash attached. Avoid lens changes. Work loaded and light. In my case that means a dual harness and a Lowepro Off Trail 2 slung over my backside from its waist belt with a third body and lens in it. The two lens pouches either side each carry a bottle of water. I don't use back packs or shoulder bags for work as it means taking them off and risks carrying too much kit.

Thereís very little you canít cover with three lenses.

Best regards
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.