Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Adobe photoshop CS5 Lens Profiles

testbloke
Posted 09/02/2011 - 17:29 Link
Have never used automatic lens correction but decided it was time to give it a play and see what it's worth. I cannot get it at all. The only lenses that have profiles are Sigma's, when I search it does not find them. However, according to adobe, profiles are available for my Tamron 17-50 F2.8.
Is it the camera (K20D) that is not supported ?

Someone please help, otherwise tell me it's a poor feature that I don't need anyway !
thoughton
Posted 09/02/2011 - 17:39 Link
I don't know the exact answer, but I can tell you that the Tamron 17-50 profile is available in Lightroom (and it worked on both my K20D and my K5), so there must be a CS5 version somewhere.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
testbloke
Posted 09/02/2011 - 21:20 Link
Okay, just downloaded latest version of camera raw (6.3) and it now has many more lens profiles. I still have no camera profiles though. Where can I get a K20D profile ? Noted that there are only 3 bodies in the Canon drop down menu but there are none in the Pentax drop down and the 6.3 release notes stated that Kr and K5 were supported ...
testbloke
Posted 09/02/2011 - 22:06 Link
... another update - when I search the hard drive I can see all the pentax camera profiles are there but for some reason they are not being pulled in ? Now driving me nuts !
stevejcoe
Posted 10/02/2011 - 09:42 Link
I may be wrong here, but this is my understanding of how CS5 and Lightroom handle camera profiles.

Firstly I too have a long list of profiles here: CrogramDataAdobeCameraRawCameraProfilesCamera

For Pentax cameras the selectable options available on my machine are
Adobe Standard
Camera Standard
Pentax 1.00
Embedded
ACR 3.7
ACR 4.4

Adobe standard is the default profile, and the one that I use most of the time. As I understand it, when I open a RAW image with CameraRaw or Lightroom, the program reads the exif data and loads the camera specific version of Adobe Standard.
So for example if I open a RAW image captured with a K10 CS5 would use this file CrogramDataAdobeCameraRawCameraProfilesCameraPentax K10DPentax K10D Camera Standard.dcp which it would call Adobe Standard

If I were to open a RAW image captured with a K7 then this is the file that CS5 would use CrogramDataAdobeCameraRawCameraProfilesCameraPentax K-7

Take a look when you open a file you should see something like Pentax K10D - IMG6421.PEF at the bottom of the CameraRaw window.

Camera Standard is I believe an interpretation of the customised in camera setting used to display (on camera) and output JPEGs

Pentax 1.00 is a generic profile that was probably created by Pentax, but which I believe not been updated since its relase several years ago.

The ACR profiles are throw backs to earlier versions of CameraRaw and may not be available if you did a clean install.

The Embedded profile I know little about, but assume that when selected it preserves any ICC profile that may have been embedded within the image.

Finally for information purposes only, if you browse the directory of your hard drive you might find several files relating to one particular model. That is because Canon and also Nikon developed multiple profiles for some camera models.

I am sure others will come along to correct any errors, but I hope this explanation provides a general idea of how camra profiles are applied.

Regards - Steve
testbloke
Posted 10/02/2011 - 09:50 Link
Steve, that is helpfull. I am just puzzled that when carrying out the lens correction, there are no models listeed for pentax in the drop down menu (both camera raw and CS5). It is now recognising my Tamron lens and automatically selects this profile (does not really have that much choice now as I have deleted all the profiles not relevant to me !) but does not seem to recognise the camera. Noticed that the data it pulls from the exif is "Penatax K20D (PENTAX)". Tried copying the "Pentax K20D" files and renaming them "Pentax K20D (PENTAX)" but still no joy.
testbloke
Posted 10/02/2011 - 09:59 Link
Okay, cmaera raw is now working. At the top of the screen, as you stated, it says Pentax K20D and I can then select my lens. But still, when you then open the image in CS5 and select filter/lens correction, there is three drop down menus. First to select camera make, Pentax is there so no probs. Second is to select camera model, there are no options. Is this different profiles to the camera raw ones ?

Suppose the easy answer is to always shoot raw and do this adjustment in camera raw ...
stevejcoe
Posted 10/02/2011 - 10:24 Link
Ok , we have to be quite sure that we are not confusing lens profiles with camera profiles. Camera profiles are all about matching what you see on the camera screen, with what you see on the computer screen.

Lens profiles are something entirely different and their purpose is to correct recurring problems of under/over exposure, vignetting, CA and distortion, that occur with a specific camera/lens combination.

Lens profiles tend to be camera specific , hence you will see the camera model and lens in the name. If I leave the program in auto detect it will quite often pick a K20D lens profile, as they seem to more available than K10D lens profiles and are possibly the closest match.

Lens profiles are generally created for adjustment of RAW images and that is why there will not be many available, if you are processing a JPG. That said some people have created JPG specific profiles. I am not sure if it is possible to create combo profiles (RAW/JPG), but on my system if I open a JPG with the auto detect option enabled a DA 17-70 is selected.

There are quite a lot of profiles that can now be downloaded from the Adobe website and they have created a free of charge download program for that purpose. There are also lots of user created profiles around , which can easily be found with a google search. Be aware though that not all profiles are created equal and the profiles in the last update were provided by Pentax and as such are my preferred choice.

Regards - Steve
testbloke
Posted 10/02/2011 - 10:36 Link
Steve, again thanks. I have the adobe generated profile for my tamron lens, unfortunately there are no profiles for my 18-55WR, 50-200DAL or 100 DFA macro yet so I will have to use a third party or as you say, make my own. I understand that most profiles are made for raw and camera raw is now behaving and working properly.

With reference to your comment above, I can see that the menu in CS5 is filter / lens correction, therefore the fact I cannot choose the camera model from the drop down menu is irrelevant as it is just there to narrow down the search items to get to the right lens ? As you say, the profiles were profiled on raw images so may not work correctly on jpg. It is also a slightly different interface and does not have the nice wee sliders for manual adjustment.

Okay, think I have it straight in my head now (as much of a headache as learning layers !).
AS I normally shoot raw anyway, use the lens correction in camera raw and forget about the CS5 one.

Thank you. Now, anyone have a profile for a 100mm DFA Macro
stevejcoe
Posted 10/02/2011 - 11:40 Link
A link to a wide range of official and user generated profiles

http://tinyurl.com/5utgavf

Regards -Steve
testbloke
Posted 10/02/2011 - 11:55 Link
Steve, I downloaded a couple of user ones from here last night but they are not working for some reason, will persevere and at least now I know what I am doing.
Thank you for all your help, it is vert much appreciated

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.