Adobe Lightroom 3 Beta 2 available

Mannesty

Link Posted 30/03/2010 - 23:37
Adobe Lightroom 3 Beta will expire at the end of April 2010. Beta 2, which will run until the end June 2010 can be downloaded from here.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

RichardDay

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 12:02
The NR in LR3 b2 is simply superb. It beats all the other NR programs I've used, of which I think Noiseware Pro is probably the best, but LR3 b2 is, without any doubt, significantly better. They've really knocked one out of the park with this!

However, I just don't understand why they have never included lens distortion and perspective correction, to me it's fairly fundamental in what is supposed to be a "complete" photographic workflow solution.

I know I'm not alone in thinking this as there are a considerable number saying the same on the Adobe LR forum.
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link

Mannesty

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 12:40
I agree Richard, but Adobe do state that the beta version is not yet complete and even some of the functionality in it is not finished.

The addition of perspective correction would almost make Photoshop redundant for me.

We can but wait and see. There is certainly enough pressure in the forums for its inclusion. It might however impact on sales of Photoshop so they may not do it.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Anvh

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 13:15
RichardDay wrote:
However, I just don't understand why they have never included lens distortion and perspective correction, to me it's fairly fundamental in what is supposed to be a "complete" photographic workflow solution.

Is that in LR 3???

Mannesty wrote:
The addition of perspective correction would almost make Photoshop redundant for me.

That would be perfect right?
Still I would need PS for creativity so I can't get away from it.

Btw is the sharpening also improved?
I would love to see "smart sharpening" from CS4 in it, you can say what kind of blur it is and it works really well.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

RichardDay

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 13:38
Anvh wrote:
RichardDay wrote:

Is that in LR 3???

No it's never been in any version of LR.

Quote:
Mannesty wrote:

That would be perfect right?
Still I would need PS for creativity so I can't get away from it.

Btw is the sharpening also improved?
I would love to see "smart sharpening" from CS4 in it, you can say what kind of blur it is and it works really well.

Download it and try it out, it doesn't affect your current installation of LR2 or use the same catalog/libraries.
Best regards
Richard Day

Anvh

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 14:38
I could do that Richard... I might but I've some photos I need to work at first, they might go into a folder so I don't want to experiment with those
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Mannesty

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 15:56
Anvh wrote:
I could do that Richard... I might but I've some photos I need to work at first, they might go into a folder so I don't want to experiment with those

Editing in Lightroom is non-destructive. Originals remain unaltered.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Anvh

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 16:49
Mannesty wrote:
Anvh wrote:

Yes I know I've LR2 but I ain't go to experiment on photos that might be published
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

RichardDay

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 17:49
Anvh wrote:
Mannesty wrote:
Quote:

Yes I know I've LR2 but I ain't go to experiment on photos that might be published

I don't understand your reticence, what difference can it possibly make??

You don't have to do anything to shots that you don't want to.
Best regards
Richard Day

Anvh

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 17:59
RichardDay wrote:

Yes but I shot them in RAW so I need to process them, I know LR2 works stable and can deliver the goods I'm not sure how LR3 will interact with LR2 and how stable the beta is.
So first I'm going to get the things done with the program I know that does work then I've al the time to install and play with LR3 but first I want to be sure I've the shots done.

Or Richard are you going to guarantee me that LR3 will not interact with LR2 and/or cause instabilities with my PC? It's not called a Beta for nothing
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 31/03/2010 - 18:06

RichardDay

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 18:30
Anvh wrote:
RichardDay wrote:

Yes but I shot them in RAW so I need to process them, I know LR2 works stable and can deliver the goods I'm not sure how LR3 will interact with LR2 and how stable the beta is.
So first I'm going to get the things done with the program I know that does work then I've al the time to install and play with LR3 but first I want to be sure I've the shots done.

Or Richard are you going to guarantee me that LR3 will not interact with LR2 and/or cause instabilities with my PC? It's not called a Beta for nothing

I think you are being over cautious! I haven't had any issues with either beta 1 or beta 2 on my PC, plus everything is in another separate directory and the Raw files aren't touched.
Best regards
Richard Day

RichardDay

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 18:31
I found this interesting series of video tutorials on the differences between LR2 and LR3. You may like to take a look.

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/lightroom/lightroom-3-video-tutorials/lightroom-...
Best regards
Richard Day

Last Edited by RichardDay on 31/03/2010 - 18:36

RichardDay

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 18:44
Yet another video about what's new in Lightroom 3 beta 2

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/what-s-new-in-lightroom-3-beta/whats-new-in-lightroom-...

Have fun!
Best regards
Richard Day

Anvh

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 18:53
RichardDay wrote:
I think you are being over cautious!

Well better that then be wrong or not?
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

RichardDay

Link Posted 31/03/2010 - 18:58
Anvh wrote:
RichardDay wrote:
I think you are being over cautious!

Well better that then be wrong or not?

It's your call!
Best regards
Richard Day

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.