Adding to the Controversy - What's Best?

davidstorm
Posted 02/06/2013 - 18:09 Link
There have been some interesting threads on here lately about processing and what looks 'right' or 'not right'.

To add to the debate, I've shot a single image today in my garden and processed it 5 different ways. I'm interested in three things:

1. Do you like the image?
2. Which version do you like best?
3. Should I have removed the grass that's in front of the flower before shooting it or not?

Here are the images, they are of a Wild Aquilegia, growing in the area of my garden that I let grow as a wildflower meadow. The shot was taken with the K-5IIs and Sigma 150-500, set at 500mm, F6.3.

1.
Comment Image


2.
Comment Image


3.
Comment Image


4.
Comment Image


5.
Comment Image


Lots of comments please!!

Best wishes
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
pengbai
Posted 02/06/2013 - 18:15 Link
I like natural colour, No 1 and 3 are for me.
MartynUK
Posted 02/06/2013 - 18:29 Link
1. Yes
2. No.2 for me - I think the darker background improves the image - I don't know the 'true' colour of the Aquilegia though - and I probably still go for 2 if the colour was different - 4 would be my second choice!
3.From 'saleability' I'd have probably removed the grass - unless it masks a fault in the flower. Does give a sense of depth I suppose.

Martyn
tyronet2000
Posted 02/06/2013 - 18:30 Link
For me the mono doesn't work, I think the type of flower it too delicate. Should you have removed the grass? In these days of digital you could have taken two sets, with and without making the choice easier . I like the other four preference going to #3 which I'd like to see minus the grass.
Regards
Stan

PPG
coker
Posted 02/06/2013 - 18:38 Link
No.3 please!

And I would have "gardened" the grass out of shot in the first place....
This wasn't a "grab" shot, surely. Was it?!

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Edited by coker: 02/06/2013 - 18:40
percy
Posted 02/06/2013 - 18:38 Link
Image 1 for me, followed by image 3
As for the grass, I think I would have cropped it out and just left the two flowers on the right, something like this

Comment Image
Algernon
Posted 02/06/2013 - 18:38 Link
No 3 for me and without the grass. The B&W doesn't appeal.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
dpm
Posted 02/06/2013 - 18:40 Link
Yes, 1, No.

I don't like images that look like they've been "processed" as some are wont to these days.
And the stark vertical of the grass is a pleasant contrast to the softness of the flowers.
davidstorm
Posted 02/06/2013 - 18:48 Link
coker wrote:
No.3 please!

And I would have "gardened" the grass out of shot in the first place....
This wasn't a "grab" shot, surely. Was it?!

Roger.
Hi Roger, it was a 'grab' shot actually! I was testing the focussing of the 150-500 on my K-5iis. After reviewing it I quite liked the grass where it was and couldn't decide whether it was 'right' or not.

I went back later to re-shoot it, but the light had changed and the grass had moved. I couldn't get the same 'look' so packed it in for today!

Cheers
David

PS some very helpful comments, please keep them coming!
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
swarf
Posted 02/06/2013 - 18:59 Link
I like No.1 as the "natural" image and No.2 as the "impressionistic" one. Either way, my inclination would have been to move the grass, unless as Martun noted it masked a flaw in the flower. I don't like the B&W version - I doesn't work for me.
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
fritzthedog
Posted 02/06/2013 - 19:16 Link
Like the shot
1 then 3 for me

Grass would have been removed pre-shot - would not bother removing it after

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Northgrain
Posted 02/06/2013 - 19:50 Link
fritzthedog wrote:
Like the shot
1 then 3 for me
Took the words right from my fingers...

And as for the grass - yes. Distracting as is.
AndrewA
Posted 02/06/2013 - 20:02 Link
1, 3 and leave the grass!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
kh1234567890
Posted 02/06/2013 - 20:06 Link
#1. #3 with higher contrast makes it just a bit too harsh for a pretty flower. It would depend whether you are aiming at the greeting card market or at botany encyclopedia compilers
davidstorm
Posted 02/06/2013 - 20:39 Link
kh1234567890 wrote:
#1. #3 with higher contrast makes it just a bit too harsh for a pretty flower. It would depend whether you are aiming at the greeting card market or at botany encyclopedia compilers
I'm not aiming at either! It's just a shot from my garden

Here's one with the grass removed, this is based on #1 and is probably the closest to 'natural' colouring.

Comment Image


Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo