Absolutely barking...
Posted 08/03/2010 - 17:37
Link
Anvh wrote:
The market is indeed different around the globe, it comes down to what demand and suply like always.
That's why the 50mm lenses are so cheap they came standard with almost every camera you bought.
A very charitable view...
Dangermouse wrote:
On a serious note this is why I think a price guide for older lenses might be a good idea. I've seen more than a few beginners picking up on an ebay auction for an item that could be had much more cheaply from a different seller. I know that the "other forum" does this but their prices are all in dollars and I'm not convinced the market is the same on both sides of the Atlantic - I get the impression that used gear prices are higher here.
There doesn't need to be guides, it's you who decide to bid on it and if you don't have the knowledge then that's simply your problem.On a serious note this is why I think a price guide for older lenses might be a good idea. I've seen more than a few beginners picking up on an ebay auction for an item that could be had much more cheaply from a different seller. I know that the "other forum" does this but their prices are all in dollars and I'm not convinced the market is the same on both sides of the Atlantic - I get the impression that used gear prices are higher here.
The market is indeed different around the globe, it comes down to what demand and suply like always.
That's why the 50mm lenses are so cheap they came standard with almost every camera you bought.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 08/03/2010 - 17:55
Link
Robbie I meant that if you decide to play the game you need to know the rules before you play it, if someone lose without knowing the rules than I don't feel sorry for them, would you?
You can look up on ebay for what money similar products went, that should give you a good indication for what is reasonable.
Sometimes you also hear members picking up bargains from ebay, do you feel sorry for the person that sold those items?
The one who knows the market the best win the most, it's as simple as that and if you don't put your time in to investigating the market then that's your choice.
If I pay the jackpot for something then that's my own stupid mistake right?
This the same with all auctions.
ps. Good one Tim, you should know what you buy and sell, that's what I also meant (basicly)
You can look up on ebay for what money similar products went, that should give you a good indication for what is reasonable.
Sometimes you also hear members picking up bargains from ebay, do you feel sorry for the person that sold those items?
The one who knows the market the best win the most, it's as simple as that and if you don't put your time in to investigating the market then that's your choice.
If I pay the jackpot for something then that's my own stupid mistake right?
This the same with all auctions.
ps. Good one Tim, you should know what you buy and sell, that's what I also meant (basicly)
Posted 08/03/2010 - 17:58
Link
While I like to argue with Stefan as much as the next guy I tend to agree with him about ebay. Caveat Emptor etc. Don't bid on something unless you know what it is you're buying.
If someone bids on a lens I'm selling, I'm not going to bend over backwards accommodating them when it turns out that they have a Nikon and not a Pentax, or if they buy a 30 year old slide copier and then complain that it crops their photos on a APS-C body. Both of these happened to me last year, and in both cases the buyer was expecting me to pay postage both ways for the return.
It works both ways, anyway. Last year I sold a Vivitar 200mm (Komine) lens for £4.99, simply because I was stupid.
If someone bids on a lens I'm selling, I'm not going to bend over backwards accommodating them when it turns out that they have a Nikon and not a Pentax, or if they buy a 30 year old slide copier and then complain that it crops their photos on a APS-C body. Both of these happened to me last year, and in both cases the buyer was expecting me to pay postage both ways for the return.
It works both ways, anyway. Last year I sold a Vivitar 200mm (Komine) lens for £4.99, simply because I was stupid.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 08/03/2010 - 20:31
Link
Quote:
I'm constantly amazed by the number of people on this Forum for whom English is a second, or possibly even a third, language (e.g.: yourself, Stefan, Aiki and Prieni) and yet they manage not only to make themselves understood but can discuss, in detail, technical aspects of our hobby.
I'm flattered, but English is my mother tongue. I can discuss photography in German almost as well, but not Finnish. Damned impossible language. Really surprised that I managed to get an hour's conversation together on the train tonight after five years....I'm constantly amazed by the number of people on this Forum for whom English is a second, or possibly even a third, language (e.g.: yourself, Stefan, Aiki and Prieni) and yet they manage not only to make themselves understood but can discuss, in detail, technical aspects of our hobby.
Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



10412 posts
18 years
Dordrecht,
the Netherlands
On a serious note this is why I think a price guide for older lenses might be a good idea. I've seen more than a few beginners picking up on an ebay auction for an item that could be had much more cheaply from a different seller. I know that the "other forum" does this but their prices are all in dollars and I'm not convinced the market is the same on both sides of the Atlantic - I get the impression that used gear prices are higher here.
The market is indeed different around the globe, it comes down to what demand and suply like always.
That's why the 50mm lenses are so cheap they came standard with almost every camera you bought.
K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ