Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

A pleasant afternoon:spoiled

Father Ted
Posted 16/04/2012 - 14:22 Link
Took my son to our local park yesterday afternoon as he wanted to play on his new scooter.
I grabbed my camera bag on my way out of the house. I got some nice snaps of my son, but then I noticed the local cricket team (who play at the park) coming on to the pitch (in the middle of the park).
So, I stayed a while longer and got some pics of the cricket.
As we were leaving, I walked past the scorer, who stopped me. He told me that he didn't mind me taking pictures, so I thanked him. He then said I should have asked permission first, but I was ok to keep taking shots until he gave me a sign to stop!
I pointed out that, as it is a public park (not even fenced off), I didn't actually need his permission. He said that it was a private cricket club and that there were under 16s around ( not playing cricket, just generally in the park.

As I was already leaving, I left it at that, but did tell him he needs to read up on current UK law. I was steaming by the time I got home.

I'm thinking of writing to the ECB and the chairman of this cricket club, pointing out the error to his argument and possibly to Wirral Borough Council ( who technically own the park).
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
davidtrout
Posted 16/04/2012 - 14:55 Link
You were quite right to get steamed up Ted, this official was clearly out of order though he did act in a fairly civilised manner. He had a point, albeit one with very vague parameters, about taking pictures of kids under 16 without parental or guardian consent. I'm not sure the law is clear on this point but bearing in mind public opinion and concern its best to avoid trouble here.
I would write to the local cricket club who ought to welcome the interest of local photographers in their game.
However beware of council officialdom. Not so long ago there was a long thread on here about the antics of local government in the Glasgow area which tried to ban photographers from taking pictures in 'their' public park.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
dougf8
Posted 16/04/2012 - 15:13 Link
I thought there was no right to privacy in the UK from public land with a right of way. Councils may deem parks private land or have bylaws that restrict.

But in the street take a picture of who you like babies to the old and infirm. Just avoid harassing them by doing it more than once if they are shirty.
Lurking is shirking.!
Pentaxophile
Posted 16/04/2012 - 15:39 Link
Even though the chap was incorrect, it sounds like a pretty reasonable sort of exchange - I wouldn't let it spoil your afternoon! I am not aware of any law regarding photographing under 16s without parental consent, but please correct me if I am wrong. I presume this is a case of people getting confused between 'policies' and the law. There may be regulations/codes of practice which apply to a cricket club, or members of the press etc, which obviously would not apply to a private person going about his business.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Edited by Pentaxophile: 16/04/2012 - 15:45
Father Ted
Posted 16/04/2012 - 15:55 Link
I got the feeling it was only reasonable because I walked away. The guy thought he had a little power and could tell me what I could / couldn't do, in a park for which he has no responsibility.
The under 16s he was referring to were nothing to do with the cricket, they were kids playing football in a different part of the park. And you are right, in public there are no laws preventing this.

What got me more is the fact that these things are bandied round as normal these days. Anyone who takes photos with anything other than a mobile phone must be suspicious and therefore restricted.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Frogherder
Posted 16/04/2012 - 17:00 Link
Quote:
I'm thinking of writing to the ECB and the chairman of this cricket club, pointing out the error to his argument and possibly to Wirral Borough Council ( who technically own the park).

I'd include your local MP in tat list. If nothing else it will give him/her something to do, checking the law.

regards
Bernard
snappychappy
Posted 16/04/2012 - 17:50 Link
"He said it was a private club" what has that got to do with privacy in a public space. You cannot have privacy in a public space. I have had many people quote the law along similar lines, I just smile back and igonore them, seems to wind them up nicely.
steven9761
Posted 16/04/2012 - 17:51 Link
Ram a cricket ball where the sun don't shine, and say to him (with a straight face).. HOWZAT??!!
johnriley
Posted 16/04/2012 - 18:27 Link
As nothing actually happened, and there was no attempt to interfere with what the OP was doing, there's no need to get steamed up or take any action. No good would come of it I'm sure.
Best regards, John
Gwyn
Posted 16/04/2012 - 18:43 Link
It is a shame your afternoon ended like that Ted, but I think you handled it very well.
A pity the scorer wasn't spending more time concentrating on recording the score and less time on what you were doing .

Do we get to see some pics?
woodworm
Posted 16/04/2012 - 19:03 Link
Obviously he was in the wrong, but as we are all photographers (to a point :wink we are probably more aware of the actual laws regarding this as we've all heard many stories along the same lines.

Your average joe in the street has probably only read in the newspapers how were all terrorists and how we all need be wary of someone with a camera, etc so he was just doing what he thought was right, even if he was misguided and compared to some stories he was quite pleasant about it!

There are probably many laws, rules, etc that I'm ignorant of and get the wrong end of the stick.

Unfortunately the media and the police don't do anything to educate the public.

Don't let it bother you.
Stuey
Posted 16/04/2012 - 20:50 Link
Hi Ted

In situations where people 'quote' the law to me I like to ask them to tell me exactly what law it is to which they refer and above all stay calm and have fun with it.

The point is that law will either have been created by statute which most are (be it a European derived statute or purely UK law) or Judge made/civil law.

The simple fact is that most people who wish to state 'it is the law' or 'it is illegal' etc have no idea whatsoever about which they preach.

My approach is to ask that they either advise me of the statute title, section and subsection or the case citation or quit referring to the law until they can actually do so correctly, by this time all except the most cognitivley deficient have usually given up whilst those remaining usually begin to get angry and/or make threats and of course in making threats they themselves are the only ones to be breaking the law

It can work out to be a little risky though but can be fun - I just like to turn the tables on these kind of idiots, however, if you find a person who understands the law the conversation would not have taken place
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
stigg
Posted 16/04/2012 - 20:57 Link
Never had this sort of problem but could we not carry a small information card with the law on photography in public places on it so we could give it to anyone who does not know the law?
All the best
Brian

And come him slow or come him fast it is but death who comes at last.
JAK
Posted 16/04/2012 - 21:10 Link
Even if you gave some people a copy of the actual legislation to show them they wouldn't believe it.

Nothing really untoward happened here. I wonder what they'd have done if a local TV news crew turned up to film them?

John
John K
Frogfish
Posted 16/04/2012 - 21:41 Link
stigg wrote:
Never had this sort of problem but could we not carry a small information card with the law on photography in public places on it so we could give it to anyone who does not know the law?

I have these on my hard disk, unfortunately UK laws aren't very effective in China ! On a more positive note because the whole population loves to take photos nobody actually bothers you unless you are taking shots of (or at) military installations !
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.