A Morning In Chester
Posted 06/08/2010 - 10:00
Link
Bob, you make me ashamed to live in Chester, I never take photo`s here
For me the last one is the best of the set, although the sun is a bit blown out. Like the texture in the paving flags. I must get there someday.
Davex.
For me the last one is the best of the set, although the sun is a bit blown out. Like the texture in the paving flags. I must get there someday.
Davex.
Posted 06/08/2010 - 11:27
Link
davex wrote:
I must get there someday.
Davex.
...You live there lol.I must get there someday.
Davex.
Though I do agree - I spent the best part of 10 years living in Chester, and since moving further afield I've certainly appreciated it more.
I definitely took it for granted at the time, without a doubt.
Posted 06/08/2010 - 11:31
Link
Good one Bob. The BIF is well caught with your panning, nice and sharp. I like the landscapes, probably because you've (bravely) shot into the sun. As BW, that works IMO, especially over that water. The sun and the specular highlights are the way I'd expect under the circumstances.
Given the Kx is a bit prone to over-expose, what did you do to control for it with these? (No exif data with your images.)
Given the Kx is a bit prone to over-expose, what did you do to control for it with these? (No exif data with your images.)
Posted 06/08/2010 - 11:42
Link
Hi i-Berg, you are more than welcome to dive into my flickr photostream and look at the exif data there.
I shot at -0.3EV, as I am aware the K-X is prone to over-expose. I then used the fill light slider somewhat to bring the foreground into play.
The last image is certainly my favourite, but I'm also fond of the others. I'm certainly pleased with the crow silhouette and the in-flight bird (apologies for not knowing what it is). A reasonable performance for the longer end of the lens; and the black and white conversion really transforms them.
I shot at -0.3EV, as I am aware the K-X is prone to over-expose. I then used the fill light slider somewhat to bring the foreground into play.
The last image is certainly my favourite, but I'm also fond of the others. I'm certainly pleased with the crow silhouette and the in-flight bird (apologies for not knowing what it is). A reasonable performance for the longer end of the lens; and the black and white conversion really transforms them.
Posted 06/08/2010 - 11:50
Link
Posted 06/08/2010 - 12:46
Link
What a great set of monochrome images. I love the river shots in particular. Great city, Chester. I've had some fun days there. Nice atmosphere.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 06/08/2010 - 12:55
Link
Posted 06/08/2010 - 18:00
Link
I like this shot of yours, Bob. It's nicely composed.
I thought that an 8x10 crop would do it much better justice though. Hope you didn't mind.
You have some lens flare in the shot, have you noticed?
[IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j159/paulyrichard/4863109752_87714effa6.jpg[/IMG]
I thought that an 8x10 crop would do it much better justice though. Hope you didn't mind.
You have some lens flare in the shot, have you noticed?
[IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j159/paulyrichard/4863109752_87714effa6.jpg[/IMG]
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Posted 06/08/2010 - 19:59
Link
I dont mind at all - a great suggestion!
I also had'nt actually noticed that flare. I'll do a bit of Photoshopping later methinks...
I also had'nt actually noticed that flare. I'll do a bit of Photoshopping later methinks...
Posted 07/08/2010 - 09:22
Link
Posted 07/08/2010 - 17:50
Link
Nice one!
In your avatar, your almost looking a little like James Dean Bradfield, lead singer with The Manic Street Preachers. Just thought i'd mention it.
In your avatar, your almost looking a little like James Dean Bradfield, lead singer with The Manic Street Preachers. Just thought i'd mention it.
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Posted 07/08/2010 - 18:14
Link
paulyrichard wrote:
Nice one!
In your avatar, your almost looking a little like James Dean Bradfield, lead singer with The Manic Street Preachers. Just thought i'd mention it.
Ha ha - I dont mind that connection! I have most of their albums (not the last one though)
Nice one!
In your avatar, your almost looking a little like James Dean Bradfield, lead singer with The Manic Street Preachers. Just thought i'd mention it.
Posted 07/08/2010 - 19:38
Link
Whenever I look at Pauly's current avatar I see Dr Gregory House
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 07/08/2010 - 20:00
Link
Yes!!! I'm a huge House fan and now you mention it..I can see the similarity.
(Appologies Pauly!)
(Appologies Pauly!)
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.






1969 posts
17 years
Chester
Spent an hour before work yesterday pottering around the River Dee with my K-x and Tamron 18-250.
C&C welcome!
(Another point the keen-eyed among you may have noticed is that I did indeed sell a Tamron 18-250 recently, as I did'nt think I was using the range enough to justify it. Fast forward to a few family outings and I did start to miss the range! So..I got another copy!)
My website (Hadfield Photography)
Pentax Gallery Artist page:link
Flickr Photostream: link