Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

A Mini Guide To Pentax Digital Camera Utility

FAT8BIKER
Posted 13/12/2012 - 22:31 Link
FAT8BIKER wrote:
McGregNi wrote:
I am still puzzled by what we are hearing about some of these latest cameras - ie they are coming with what appears to be an earlier version of Silkypix. It is quite obviously a completely different program to PDCU. It would be good to know what are the file type compatibilities between the two - eg does PDCU4 open RAW files from a K30? This is still a DSLR isn't it, so I would have thought it would record into the normal .pef / .dng as the other DSLRs. ??

Obviously the other cameras you list are a different category - I know the Q models are basically CSC types, not sure about the K-01 - is that a DSLR? Maybe they are recording to a different file type not compatible with PDCU. The K-30 remains a mystery though.

ASAIK the most recent update to PDCU, 4.4, includes support for specific features of the new K5-11 /s. So PDCU is continuing for this line of cameras at least.

Nigel
The K-30 raw files are DNG only no PEF, and the silkypix software that comes with the K-30 will not open K-R DNG files.
Cheers
Dave

If you look at the pentax downloads, it shows you which software works with which camera.
The Q/Q10/K-01 and K-30 must use the same eletronics for the files.
I am sure some one on the forum more tech minded than me will be able to enlighten use.
Cheers
Dave
johnriley
Posted 13/12/2012 - 22:38 Link
DNG files are supposed to be universal, surely?
Best regards, John
FAT8BIKER
Posted 14/12/2012 - 14:36 Link
johnriley wrote:
DNG files are supposed to be universal, surely?

John
It maybe possible to write a piece of software to stop you doing this,then no one except the buyer of the camera the software came with can use it (PARANOID SILKYPIX)
Cheers
Dave
johnriley
Posted 14/12/2012 - 14:41 Link
An interesting thought Dave, thanks.
Best regards, John
McGregNi
Posted 14/12/2012 - 21:41 Link
I wonder if its to do with the menu setups on the cameras.? As I've posted above, PDCU is laid out to mimic the in-camera processing controls offered on the DSLRs, with a few extra offerings, but essentially it offers computer based application of those settings that can be applied on the cameras to output JPEGs directly.

Maybe the menus on these other cameras are significantly different, and they have not asked Silkypix to write new software specific for these cameras (why not??) so they are just bundling a generic offering. ?? Just a thought.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
steven9761
Posted 14/12/2012 - 22:24 Link
I tried looking in the software's registry to see if there's a "switch" that had been turned off there, so as to make the program incompatible with certain cameras. If it was there, then editing the computer's registry might have "re-activated" it. Unfortunately, I couldn't see such a switch.

Incidentally - DO NOT tamper with your computer's registry settings unless you are absolutely certain of what you are doing!!
McGregNi
Posted 01/01/2013 - 19:16 Link
UPDATE 1 to PDCU Mini Guide - Software Scope & Purpose, additional points
The mini guide has generated some new (and ressurrected some ongoing) debates about peoples experiences with the program, as well as plenty of comparisons to the alternatives! Mostly these comments are favourable concerning the quality of output and the colours attainable, not so favourable concerning the interface and ease of use. I contributed a bit on the forum and I have taken the points I was making and produced some extra information about the programs 'purpose & scope' which I offer here as an update to the guide. It will slot into the 'Software Purpose & Scope' section near the beginning, after the text that is already there.

Update 1 to PDCU Mini Guide - Software Purpose & Scope, additional points :
New text here :
'There has been much comment and debate from Pentax people on the forums about the relative merits (or otherwise!) of this software when compared to other RAW converter options. Indeed it was some of this that convinced me of the need for a guide, as there has been confusion over aspects of the interface that are not considered ‘intuitive’ or standard. There is an explanation for this which may help your appreciation of what the program is all about and what it can achieve.

PDCU is not laid out in the manner of other ‘generic’ RAW editors – (those that work with a wide range of RAW files from different camera makes), so it does not provide the more common type of ‘front end’ with a selection of sliders for exposure, contrast, shadows, highlights etc. PDCU is actually designed to mimic the ‘in-camera’ image processing controls provide on the DSLRs – an so it provides a computer based implementation of these ‘in camera’ editing features, plus a few extra sophistications and finer controls drawn from the parent program, Silkypix Developer Studio.

But in terms of interface and layout the program follows fairly closely the style and structure of the DSLR camera menus and individual image processing functions. For example, there is no independent master Contrast control, something you would find on other RAW editors. Instead there are three controls (Contrast high/low / Contrast highlight / Contrast shadow) on the Custom Image tab – just as on the cameras these controls are within the Custom Image Parameter settings. So if we reconsider what PDCU is offering along these lines, we can see that it provides a means to achieve exactly what we could have done on the camera if we had spent time making all the individual settings before taking the shot – not a very productive use of time when out shooting pictures I think! But with PDCU we can recreate the optimum output that the camera can provide by taking control of these settings on the computer later'.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
McGregNi
Posted 11/02/2013 - 19:10 Link
Some new thoughts on computer performance and use of resources by PDCU :

In the Mini Guide I made some observations based on my own experience of computer performance when using PDCU 4. I said that my machine ran hot and was sluggish generally when working on images in PDCU, but not in other editing programs.

I have now upgraded and moved my image catalogue and editing programs to a shiny new laptop, which has nearly twice the CPU power and more than twice the installed RAM. This has in fact really transformed the experience of working with PDCU 4 - all aspects of operating in the program have become quicker and more responsive, especially the immediacy of slider inputs and preview updating.

This has the effect of making it much easier to experiment with adjustments back and forth and see the results faster, so I am actually able to achieve better results and output rendered files more quickly, and so process more images in the same time!

So the message is, if you have a computer that is 3-4 or more years old and you have the performance issues I spoke of when using PDCU, then an upgrade may be the answer if it can be justified generally. I'm certainly glad I did as I am enjoying developing my shots in PDCU even more
steven9761
Posted 11/02/2013 - 19:18 Link
Funny you should mention that, Nigel.. I never really thought about it, but since I bought a new rig running Win8 (with 4Gb DDR3 RAM), the cpu doesn't seem to struggle quite so much. I don't suppose it makes too much difference the fact that this is a 32-bit program running on a 64-bit machine either.
McGregNi
Posted 11/02/2013 - 19:29 Link
Win8 ???!! Wow, so you've actually learnt how to turn the computer on and off then ?
steven9761
Posted 11/02/2013 - 19:40 Link
Nigel - Win8 does appear daunting to the uninitiated, but it is actually quite user-friendly once you get to grips with it. The only thing I'm struggling with at the moment is that, whenever I load a new piece of software onto it, it wants to add it as an app on the start window, and I have to unpin it. When I get the chance, I'll "pop the bonnet up" and switch it off in the registry. In the meantime, I'm rebuilding my old rig, and I'll have it as a dedicated photo suite for archiving and editing. The Win8 has my torrents, videos, music, photos, and the wife's "lady-things (including the Silkypix software for her "lady-camera") on there.

*LADY-CAMERA = Pentax Q that my darling beloved "conned" me into buying her as a Christmas present.
McGregNi
Posted 11/02/2013 - 19:46 Link
I got scared off windows 8 when shopping because there seemed to be a hurdle to jump for every key usability aspect. As I posted in another thread specifically about this, I just wanted to upgrade the machine and carry on working - I personally wasn't ready for the new learning involved.

But in this context its great to hear that PDCU is up and running well on windows 8! I guess I'll catch up eventually.
vic cross
Posted 23/08/2013 - 20:16 Link
Can anyone tell me how to save this. As it is. OR As a pdf
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
McGregNi
Posted 23/08/2013 - 20:37 Link
Vic, I believe there's a PDF version of the complete guide (without the forum replies in between the different bits) on the pentaxforums website.

I'm just going to have a look and try and put a link on here - if not I'll send you a PM and I can send a pdf file directly.

Give me a little while and I'll post again ....
McGregNi
Posted 23/08/2013 - 21:46 Link
OK - here's the link to the pentaxforums thread. Member JimJohnson over there kindly patched the text together into a single pdf.

pentaxforums PDCU mini guide pdf .... link

When the forum page opens looks for the post by JimJohnson and there's a link to the pdf. Clicking on it will allow you to choose to open or 'save as' the file.

Its just the complete text of the guide without the various thread comments in between.

Hope you find it helpful, and please share you experiences with us and feel free to raise any questions

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.