A Mini Guide To Pentax Digital Camera Utility

vic cross

Link Posted 24/08/2013 - 08:53
Thanks. Now downloaded into Documents--Vic's documents--Pentax and other photo stuff!
Now all I have to do is read it and try to absorb it.
I inadvertently deleted my CS5 and can't get it back so I need something to work with. I do have Lightroom and I dare say I could download GIMP but when I saw your instructions for your guide I thought I'd give it a try.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

tyronet2000

Link Posted 24/08/2013 - 11:03
vic cross wrote:
Thanks. Now downloaded into Documents--Vic's documents--Pentax and other photo stuff!
Now all I have to do is read it and try to absorb it.
I inadvertently deleted my CS5 and can't get it back so I need something to work with. I do have Lightroom and I dare say I could download GIMP but when I saw your instructions for your guide I thought I'd give it a try.
CHEERS Vic.

Vic I've sent you a pm
Regards
Stan

PPG

claystevens

Link Posted 21/01/2014 - 03:32
More convenient than the paper when I stay at the computer

razashaikh

Link Posted 13/12/2017 - 04:32
Was looking for this guide on the web and landed on this page. Very helpful guide, thank you.
Moment Stamper: Date Stamp Photo

McGregNi

Link Posted 13/12/2017 - 08:35
You're welcome, I'm glad it was helpful. It really needs some updating for the latest versions .... PIxelShift is the main reason for a small surge in interest for this software as it appears to be best at dealing with those files. Unfortunately I haven't yet got a camera that does PS, so my attention has not been on it
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

davidtrout

Link Posted 13/12/2017 - 11:10
Many thanks for this guide Nigel. I've been a photographer for many years and have a pretty good idea on how to take and compose images. My weakness is in post capture processing although my Photoshop skills have gradually improved over the years there's still a lot I need to learn. The first important thing I learned soon after going from film to digital photography was the importance of always shooting in RAW and I'm still finding new ways of getting the best out of DNG images.
I shall study your wise words and no doubt refer to them often in future.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 13/12/2017 - 11:19

McGregNi

Link Posted 13/12/2017 - 15:04
Thanks David. This Guide goes back a while now, and the software has moved on somewhat, but you're right, using DNGs gives us the most potential and flexibility to get the most out of our digital files. The Guide was written with a practical, hands on slant, particularly because people had complained about it's user unfriendliness, and I aimed to provide a solution to the workflow that would yield quick and positive results.

Even though many will choose Photoshop and Lightroom by default, there are some strong arguments in favour of PDCU, not least the PixelShift capability . But also it is a great way to play around and get a good insight into the way our cameras are processing the JPEGs ..... If you can control PDCU and get exactly what you want from it then you will also be able to control the camera custom settings and get exactly what you want from your camera JPEGs.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

photographyaxis

Link Posted 05/09/2018 - 06:16
This was pretty useful for me. I found it tough to get such in-depth Pentax details from the web. I have just got my first Pentax camera
Photographyaxis

RobL

Link Posted 13/10/2018 - 20:16
As there is nothing on the telly I decided to try DCU version 5 which was bundled with the K1, only because I gather that it is best for pixel shift, but otherwise it is useless. First up, hovering the cursor over the control pictograms does not reveal their functions so you have to guess. Next, any changes made in the controls don't register on the image until you click on it, and then it takes quite a few seconds to effect the change so real time processing and fine tuning is impossible. Is this because I am using a Mac, or is it just as bad on Windows? Given that Lightroom apparently does not process pixel shift images that well (I don't understand why, it is a single RAW file after all) I am unable to make use of this major function. What do others experience?

pschlute

Link Posted 13/10/2018 - 20:38
My understanding is Adobe camera raw cannot process ps files at all. It will just process one of the four raw captures that makes up the ps file.

I use silkypix DS Pro which processes them just fine
Peter

My Flickr page

RobL

Link Posted 13/10/2018 - 21:12
pschlute wrote:
My understanding is Adobe camera raw cannot process ps files at all. It will just process one of the four raw captures that makes up the ps file.

Does it work in ‘real-time’? And can you export into Lightroom as a RAW file afterwards for further processing & printing?
Last Edited by RobL on 13/10/2018 - 21:13

Algernon

Link Posted 14/10/2018 - 08:04
RawTherapee is the best for PS files. One of the programmers is very keen on it.

See....

https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/the-pixel-shift-diaries.1656234/page-7#post-954...

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 14/10/2018 - 08:06

RobL

Link Posted 14/10/2018 - 08:58
Algernon wrote:
RawTherapee is the best for PS files. One of the programmers is very keen on it.

See....

https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/the-pixel-shift-diaries.1656234/page-7#post-954...

--

Hi Algi, I tried this last night but it wouldn’t find or open the hard drive with my photos on, nothing showed except photos on my desktop, kept clicking on the search and folders icons and tried dragging folders in but nothing. Having a fairly short patience span I deleted it.

Ps also tried right clicking on an image to get ‘open with’ but Rawtherapee wasn’t even on the list of software options so something not right. Might try again later.
Last Edited by RobL on 14/10/2018 - 09:24

pschlute

Link Posted 14/10/2018 - 10:14
RobL wrote:
pschlute wrote:

Does it work in ‘real-time’? And can you export into Lightroom as a RAW file afterwards for further processing & printing?

Not sure what you mean by real time. it processes just like any other raw file but takes a bit longer as the file is so much bigger.

If I do further processing I create a TIFF 16 bit file from the original RAW file in Silkypix then open the TIFF in Photoshop
Peter

My Flickr page

RobL

Link Posted 14/10/2018 - 10:22
pschlute wrote:
RobL wrote:
Quote:

Not sure what you mean by real time. it processes just like any other raw file but takes a bit longer as the file is so much bigger.

If I do further processing I create a TIFF 16 bit file from the original RAW file in Silkypix then open the TIFF in Photoshop

Thanks, by ‘real time’ I meant seeing the changes on the image as they are applied, on my version I have to guess the changes then click on the image to apply them and then wait several seconds to see the result; totally unworkable.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.