A KM with a surprise

Dangermouse

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 17:18
I bought this a few days ago on ebay, as I'd been after a KM for a while and it looked in good condition. It turned out to be almost mint! The seller said that it had been modified to take M42 lenses and came with a 35mm f3.5, which turned out to be a Super Takumar. The ERC was also included and I think it's the correct vintage for the camera - I realise that it would also fit some screw mount bodies so I'm going by the typeface:

So, how was it modified for the M42 mount?

Yep, that's a genuine Pentax M42 adapter - I've since removed it and united the KM with a K 55mm f1.8 in a similarly good condition. The Super Tak has gone to my ES II, with the adapter now in my camera bag in case I want to try it on my K-m.

Not bad for £37!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 17:44
Cracking deal, I always seem to miss them!

Looking forward to some sample shots from the Tak.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 17:53
I'll give it a go when it stops raining - I have tried some indoor test shots but they weren't terribly good, seemed a bit dark. I put the camera in Av mode and the lens was set to manual, so the camera should have been metering on the basis of how much light was coming in. Will try again later - I'd love to get some decent shots with this lens on digital, although it's a bit of a pain using the adapter so I suspect it'll spend most of its time on my ES II.
Matt

TOZZA27

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 17:59
That`s why I`m searching for a cheap ( £100 ) *istD or similar so I can fix the adapter and dedicate the camera to my M42s.

Found one a couple of weeks ago with broken Autofocus - perfect - but it went for £125.

Still looking though - and well done on the KM

Tony ( Pentaxmanwine on ebay )
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

womble

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 18:06
I find the Taks easier on digital as you can leave the camera in AV and just use the Auto/Manual switch to close the aperture down.

Good deal, by the way. The lens alone was worth the price you paid.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

mowog

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 18:23
Jammy Bugger! - That would have been mine, if I'd got home a bit earlier.
Nice catch. (through gritted teeth).
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 18:32
TOZZA27 wrote:
That`s why I`m searching for a cheap ( £100 ) *istD or similar so I can fix the adapter and dedicate the camera to my M42s.

Awesome idea!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Dangermouse

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 18:52
Adventures in archaeology continue - I found the following label in the back of the ERC:

"By Appointment...Wallace Heaton Ltd, London."

A bit of rummaging finds that WH were taken over by Dixons in 1972, so I think what I have here is someone's mid '70s decision to upgrade their camera but keep the lens and case from their older one as this case has to be older than the KM. What Pentax bodies would have been contemporary with the Super Takumar lenses?
Matt

TOZZA27

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 19:13
It looks very much like a Spotmatic case to me II or 500 or 1000 or possibly an ES/ESII

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 22:46
That would definitely fit - I would guess that their original camera was a Spotmatic of some sort and that they simply kept the case and lens for their new KM.

The case has done a superb job of protecting the camera, but the ERC is a pain if you want to use longer lenses and I've already been playing with the KM and my K 85-210mm zoom. Definitely want to try that combination when the weather is a bit brighter (so I don't have to restrict subjects to things that won't move).

I just wish I hadn't already loaded my Super A - might see if I can recover that roll as it's only been loaded and wound on to the first frame, then swap it into the KM.
Matt

womble

Link Posted 24/03/2010 - 23:13
The ES/ESII was contemporary with S-M-C and SMC Taks as they had the extra bits on the mount to allow the Av mode to work.

The Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5 was made in two versions between 1962 and 1971 during which time the bodies were things like the S1a and the original Spotmatic. It was replaced by the S-M-C version in 1971 which also saw the introduction of seven new bodies including the Spotmatic II, the SP500 and the ES. At the same time the new S-M-C Taks were introduced, although not for all focal lengths and versions.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Dangermouse

Link Posted 25/03/2010 - 11:17
I'll have to try to figure out which version of the lens I have then - is there an easy way to tell them apart?
Matt

TOZZA27

Link Posted 25/03/2010 - 11:41
Hi Matt,

from 1952 there was Asahiflex named Takumar after a friend of the president of the company.Then in 1958 they created Auto Takumar and Tele Takumar.Around 1965 we got the Super Takumars with the switch for manual or auto operation of the diaphragm.1971-1975 saw the production of the Super Multi Coated or SMC Takumars ( after 1973 chequered rubber barrel casing ).As stated elsewhere - the lower the number on the lens the earlier the production.

Hope this helps

Tony

womble

Link Posted 25/03/2010 - 11:54
First version of the Super Takumar from 1962-1964 has a minimum aperture of f/22, the second version from 1964 to 1971 only goes down to f/16.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

Dangermouse

Link Posted 30/03/2010 - 09:17
In which case mine is the first one, goes to f22. I've tried the ES II in the case but it doesn't fit - the leather fouls the lens mount. Looks like I'm going after another screw mount body then. The ES II now has an SMC Tak 135mm f3.5 attached which came with original front cap and hood in good condition for £50 from Melgray in Hereford. One of those moments where you think "I don't really need it (have K 120mm f2.8 and M 135mm 3.5) but that's a great price and I'll regret it if I don't pounce"!

Is there a site equivalent to Dimitrov's K mount site for the screw mount gear? I have looked but I couldn't seem to find one with things like years of production. Definitely keen to work out what bodies with a built-in meter would have been around 1962-64 (I know it would have been built-in as the earlier cases have a lump on top to accommodate the clip-on meter).
Matt

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.